Post a reply

Respect for players and ex world champions.

Postby Bigdon70

It seems disrespectful of Dennis Taylor to reffer to Neil Robertson and other overseas players by their country of origin, doesn't he realise thatt they have names? Also, why does he rake up losses of fellow commentators in the comentary box? Is this a jealousy because he only won the World champs once (and was lucky to win that one. He's probably just a jealous old Irishman.

Re: Respect for players and ex world champions.

Postby SnookerFan

Bigdon70 wrote:It seems disrespectful of Dennis Taylor to reffer to Neil Robertson and other overseas players by their country of origin, doesn't he realise thatt they have names? Also, why does he rake up losses of fellow commentators in the comentary box? Is this a jealousy because he only won the World champs once (and was lucky to win that one. He's probably just a jealous old Irishman.

I legitimately think he is trying to hide his woeful lack of knowledge about the professional game from the audience at home.

At a previous tournament, Dennis Taylor admitted live over commentary that he didn't fully understand the miss rule, and had to have Steve Davis explain it to him. Embarrassing.

Taylor is a nice guy off the table, but he just doesn't know enough out snooker to commentate on him. He probably is proud of himself that he knows Neil Robertson's nationality. That's probably the only thing he can ever remember about him.

His joking around and golf stories, are further proof of his hiding his lack of knowledge.

Postby Bigdon70

I couldn't agree more, especialy when you consider that he seems to get more comentary time than multiple time World champions who show far more respect to players and are considerably more knowledgeable about the game, they are also more informative as to what shot choices are, along witha more modern up to date views on the changes in the chages that the game is undergoing and has undergone. They are the true representatives of the future of the game with no axes to grind.
Thank you for providing a real forum for joe public to voice an opinion.

Postby Clara8633

He probably mentions losses of the other commentators for the same reason. It's easier for him to remember matches that happened back in his day (like the 1985 World Championship).

Postby Holden Chinaski

Yes Clive Everton is the best. I still can't believe the BBC sacked him, although I believe they sacked him because he was too openly critical of snooker's governing body.

I enjoy a match so much more when clive is commentating... So much knowledge and so much passion for the game...

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Yes Clive Everton is the best. I still can't believe the BBC sacked him, although I believe they sacked him because he was too openly critical of snooker's governing body.

I enjoy a match so much more when clive is commentating... So much knowledge and so much passion for the game...

In defence of the BBC, Clive didn't do himself any favours. He is better than the rest of the commentary team put together.

Postby Skullman

Holden Chinaski wrote:Yes Clive Everton is the best. I still can't believe the BBC sacked him, although I believe they sacked him because he was too openly critical of snooker's governing body.

I think he may annoyed a mate of someone high up in the production company that does the snooker? Can't remember exact details, I'll have to check his book again.