Post a reply

Betway UK Championship Semi Finals!!!!

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Tuesday 24th of November~Sunday 6th of December at the Barbican Center in York.

Down to four players, we have an interesting mix of players left. In the bottom half, we have the two top four seeds and former winners of this event, Mark Selby and Neil Robertson, facing off in a repeat of the 2013 final.

Meanwhile, have two less experienced players who got past their opponents in a decider, including an unlikely victory from 1-5 for Grace. Liang Wenbo, who has only been in a ranking final once six years, against WN80 David Grace 80th seed, who has only been in one last 16 before this event. Liang is clear favourite, so have Grace's last few opponents.

Who will contest the UK final?

Semi Finals

David Grace v Liang Wenbo Grace leads 3-2
------------------------------------------------------
Neil Robertson v Mark Selby Selby leads 14-6

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Betway UK Championship Semi Finals!!!!

Postby Skullman

And because that head to head between Selby and Robbo looks very one sided, I will note that removing CL, PL and other results of that ilk, it's actually only 5-4 to Selby in bigger matches.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:And because that head to head between Selby and Robbo looks very one sided, I will note that removing CL, PL and other results of that ilk, it's actually only 5-4 to Selby in bigger matches.

Yes that's the statistic that really counts.

Should be a great match like most between the two are. I'll be rooting for Selby again just because I want Robbo to lose this semi after knocking Higgins out.

Postby Andre147

As for the other semi, it will come down to who can hold their nerves better.

Liang is clear favourite, this isn't alien territory for him, he's been in a Semi-Final fairly recently, German Masters this year.

Grace I feel will need a good start, I doubt two players on a row will bottle things for him.

Postby TheRocket

Yep. As I said in the other thread. No disrespect to Grace but if he reached the final it'd be probably a disaster from a neutral point of view.

Not in a million years the guy will be capable to even make it competitive in the final. Robertson or Selby would just annihilate him and we all know it. And if he'll win like 2 frames, we could consider this as a good achievement. It'd be the complete anticlimax of an final , especially as the tournament is already lacking in top-quality snooker so far in my eyes (apart from the Robbo-Mags match).

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:Higgins v Robbo (last frame aside)?

It was a good match but I wouldn't call it top-quality but that's my opinion obviously. But even if you put the match into the top-quality category, the tournament is still relatively weak quality-wise in my eyes.

Postby Andre147

Wenbo v Fu today was high quality as well.

But I know what TR feels, this tournament has really been lacking consistent top quality performances.

The crappy format obviously doesn't help either.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:Wenbo v Fu today was high quality as well.

But I know what TR feels, this tournament has really been lacking consistent top quality performances.

The crappy format obviously doesn't help either.

Yes, the crappy format is probably still the main problem I have with the UK and thus obviously with the recent edition as well (next to that what we've seen from the players so far/qualitywise). It's a combination of both.

Postby Gridlock

You know, being a yank and having this 5 hour time difference and typing on a phone..and having the Internet stream act like dial up and have Gouldy lose. A few drams of the bourbon has me saying go Selby! 

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Does Selecta have a realistic chance of winning the tournament? Discuss.

I think he does, if he can handle the situation. I'm a bit worried he gets a bit too nervous sometimes but if he can keep calm he definitely has a chance. He's a great talent, just needs to have confidence I think. I'm rooting for him.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Does Selecta have a realistic chance of winning the tournament? Discuss.

I think he does, if he can handle the situation. I'm a bit worried he gets a bit too nervous sometimes but if he can keep calm he definitely has a chance. He's a great talent, just needs to have confidence I think. I'm rooting for him.

That's issue for me. Robbo and Selby have more experience of winning than Selecta. They ain't going to let the occasion get to them.

Postby hendry_fan

David Grace v Liang Wenbo Grace leads 3-2
------------------------------------------------------
Neil Robertson v Mark Selby Selby leads 14-6

Well,well,wellll,who,d of thought that,Grace n Wenbo makin it to the semis of the UK championship.

Good on them,one could argue they should,nt of gotten this far,but it aint they,re fault if eg Trump and Gould bottled they,re matches against them,they still had to pot the balls,finish the job and get over the line.

Many players have come far in certain tourneys and have even gone on to win them over the years,when they SHOUL,VE been out,but one could spend hours n hours ramblin on about the should,ve,s,could,ve,s,would,ve,s,if,s n buts,even Selby should,ve been out in his match against Jones,but FACT is,Grace and Wenbo as well as him are in the semis and one of them are goin to be in the final for sure.

"Amazing Grace" certainly has been amazing in this tourney,very few,if any would of thought that he would,ve gotten this far,even so though,i,ll predict he,ll fall at this hurdle,Wenbo will win.

Neil Robertson v Mark Selby Selby.

These two gettin this far in this tourney does,nt surpise me,if anyone at all.

I really can,t predict who,ll win,i slightly favour Mark to win,but if Robbo wins i won,t be disappointed.

Postby SnookerFan

I bet Hendry's well snake hissed.

A low ranked player makes the semi finals, and it isn't even a PTC.

It's in one of his precious BBC events too. The 'only events the fans care about'.

Postby hendry_fan

SnookerFan wrote:I bet Hendry's well snake hissed.

A low ranked player makes the semi finals, and it isn't even a PTC.

It's in one of his precious BBC events too. The 'only events the fans care about'.

<laugh>

Whats the snooker world come to. :-D

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

That's issue for me. Robbo and Selby have more experience of winning than Selecta. They ain't going to let the occasion get to them.

Liang and Ronnie are good friends. I'm sure Ronnie has given him some advice. Liang has all the talent in the world, he just needs confidence. Judd Tramp said Liang's the most talented practice partner he's ever played against.

I hope Wenbo wins the tournament, it could give him the confidence he needs to start being a top contender.