Post a reply

Alternative UK Championship

Postby Pink Ball

Barry... all I want for Christmas is a 32 player UK Championship with one of the following formats (preferable option B):

Option One

Day One: 8 x R1 (best-of-11, if you must)

Day Two: 8 x R1 (best-of-11)

Day Three: 8 x R2 (best-of-11)

Day Four: 2 x QF (best-of-17)

Day Five: 2 x QF (best-of-17)

Days Six & Seven: 2 x SF (best-of 25)

Day Nine: 1 x F (best-of-31)

Option Two
Day One: 4 x R1 to a finish (best-of-17)

Day Two: 8 x R1 to a finish (best-of-17)

Day Three: 4 x R1, 4 X R2 to a finish (best-of-17)

Day Four: 4 X R2 to a finish + one session of 2 quarter-finals (best-of-17)

Day Five: 4 x Quarter-finals to a finish (best-of-17)

Days Six and Seven: 2 x Semi-finals (best-of-25)

Days Eight and Nine: 1 x Final (best-of-31).

A man can dream.

Re: Alternative UK Championship

Postby PLtheRef

I know the feeling, the UK Championship I daresay is the one tournament which Hearn has well and truly spoilt by reducing the matches down to a shadow of its former self.

You could half live with the idea of Best of 11 frames to ensure that all 32 players got to compete in the TV stages but then again what hurt would have been to have matches of best of 13 frames in two smaller sessions (as they were in the early stages of the 2001 UK Championship)

Now, we have all 128 players competing in the venue which for one is too many (no ranking event let alone one of the more prestigious events should see games played in a different venue out back - which lets face it the sports hall is) - and means that not all players get to play in the TV hall. Which arguably undermines the whole reason why matches supposedly dropped to best of 11 in the first place.

With four tables in the hall and clearly visible, why we cant go to 32 players and have the best of 17 remains a mystery. With four tables you could probably get away with having a 64 draw in the arena.

Saturday 11am 4 x First Round, NB 2:30 4 x First Round, 7pm 4 x First Round
Sunday 11am 4 x First Round, NB 2:30 4 x First Round, 7pm 4 x First Round
Monday 11am 4 x First Round, NB 2:30 4 x First Round, 7pm 4 x Second Round
Tuesday 11am 4 x Second Round, NB 2:30 4 x Second Round, 7pm 4 x Second Round
Wednesday 1pm: 4 x Third Round, 7 pm 4 x Third Round
Thursday 1pm 2 x Quarter-Finals, 7pm 2 x Quarter-Finals
Friday Semi-Final One
Saturday Semi Final Two
Sunday Final

and better still the Semis go back to being best of 17

Postby Cloud Strife

Either of these two options would far exceed what we have currently. I especially like the idea of bringing back the back the best of 31 frame final.

I've been told by people that a final of that length would not work in this day and age, but I've yet to hear a single compelling argument as to why it wouldn't work. For me it would feel unique and bring a big match feel to the final which it deserves. The fans would back it in droves, IMO.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:Either of these two options would far exceed what we have currently. I especially like the idea of bringing back the back the best of 31 frame final.

I've been told by people that a final of that length would not work in this day and age, but I've yet to hear a single compelling argument as to why it wouldn't work. For me it would feel unique and bring a big match feel to the final which it deserves. The fans would back it in droves, IMO.

This is why I regard you as a compelling and intelligent poster. The World Championship is as popular as it's ever been, and features three matches of over four sessions. It would definitely work, and would give this tournament the shot in the arm it needs.

Postby WoodK67

Feels like it's been ages since they did best of 31 final for the UK. For years it was best of 17 all the way, then a best of 19 final. I was fine with that, but it's just taking the snake hiss with these best of 11's up to and including the semis. The two session matches made the UK. It's no longer the prestigious tournament it was, thanks to Hearn.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Either of these two options would far exceed what we have currently. I especially like the idea of bringing back the back the best of 31 frame final.

absalutly spot on.

nothing ive heard is a reason why best of 31 final wont work its just spin bullocks with no credability

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:

absalutly spot on.

nothing ive heard is a reason why best of 31 final wont work its just spin bullocks with no credability

Completely agree with you.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I don't think you can really compare the UK to the World Championship. The WC has 17 days of tv coverage with 12 morning sessions, the UK has only nine days and no mornings. I don't think it's a case of tv companies believing people don't like long matches it's more that they are only willing to cover a certain amount of Snooker and it's almost impossible to cram so much Snooker into it. To do a long format event right you would need the full 13 days to be televised.

Postby Andre147

Yes fully agree with the above comments.

How hard can it be to have 2 proper long format events in a season?

We have the Worlds of course, which is absolutely fine as it is, so therefore the UK Champs should be like the old days, Best of 17s with 32 players at venue, then a Best of 31 Final. I wouldn't even mind 2 rounds being played elsewhere so we could have a format like this again.

Even the ICs format is better now than this crappy UK. Of course not player's fault, they just do their job and play whatever format is presented to them. But yeah the UK Champs will go down as Hearn's biggest failure.