Post a reply

Re: 188BET Champion of Champions Group 4

Postby Smart

PoolBoy wrote:Yeah, that's right, he was in the Chinese two-man team that won the World Cup.

bucking joke, champion of champion, or anyone who has been in any final anywhere in the world at any sort of level of competition. Why not invite the South Bristol Conservative Club champion for a place as well >>>> :gag:

Postby PoolBoy

I agree, Smart.
The World Cup, was a team event - although only with two-men. (or women, as women were playing!)
ie Kurt Maflin and his wife were representing Norway...

But, let's say, Ronnie was playing for England and was 'on fire' all week. His partner could be anybody - john Virgo, you, me, the most elderly lady in the crowd - let's call her 82-year-old Mavis....wouldn't matter - the format is such that if Ronnie won all his games (obviously including the doubles games), then England would win.
~A bit like the tennis Davis Cup. If Andy Murray wins all his games (again, including the doubles) - GB win the tie.
So, back to the snooker, England win the competition and automatically, Ronnie and Mavis qualify to play singles at the Champion of Champions!

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:I agree, Smart.
The World Cup, was a team event - although only with two-men. (or women, as women were playing!)
ie Kurt Maflin and his wife were representing Norway...

But, let's say, Ronnie was playing for England and was 'on fire' all week. His partner could be anybody - john Virgo, you, me, the most elderly lady in the crowd - let's call her 82-year-old Mavis....wouldn't matter - the format is such that if Ronnie won all his games (obviously including the doubles games), then England would win.
~A bit like the tennis Davis Cup. If Andy Murray wins all his games (again, including the doubles) - GB win the tie.
So, back to the snooker, England win the competition and automatically, Ronnie and Mavis qualify to play singles at the Champion of Champions!

That's why the tournament has been renamed Successful Guys. :wave:

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:This is what happens when you allow the winners of tin-pots events into a tournament like this. You get the likes of Rory McLeod.

Few years ago they got criticised for topping up the tournament with Ranking Possition.

OK clever sausage how would you do it?

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:This is what happens when you allow the winners of tin-pots events into a tournament like this. You get the likes of Rory McLeod.

Few years ago they got criticised for topping up the tournament with Ranking Possition.

Ding has won a PTC tournament this season as well, hasn't he, just like Rory McLeod? So why is he being discriminated against in favour of Rory? I sense a bias against the Chinese here and I'm not happy about it. Is Barry Hearn taking diplomacy tips from Mark Allen or something?

Personally, when two players have won events of a similar standing, I would give precedence to the higher ranked player, which in this instance is Ding Junhui.

Also another thing I would do is allow triple crown event winners entry for the next two editions of the CoC. So for example if you win the World Championship that should guarantee you entry into the next two Champion of Champions event instead of one.

Postby Wildey

Before the season started they ranked each tournament of importance to get in to this tournament.

Ding won a tournament with only 50 pros playing in it Rory won a tournament with 108 Pro players in it so immediately the European tour gets priority over the Asian Tour and quite right too.

What i dont agree with was rewarding spots based on the World Cup in to this event ahead of the Asian Tour for me the World Cup should be down there with the World Seniors or Shoot out.

Postby kolompar

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Ding has won a PTC tournament this season as well, hasn't he, just like Rory McLeod? So why is he being discriminated against in favour of Rory? I sense a bias against the Chinese here and I'm not happy about it. Is Barry Hearn taking diplomacy tips from Mark Allen or something?

Personally, when two players have won events of a similar standing, I would give precedence to the higher ranked player, which in this instance is Ding Junhui.

Also another thing I would do is allow triple crown event winners entry for the next two editions of the CoC. So for example if you win the World Championship that should guarantee you entry into the next two Champion of Champions event instead of one.

I think you lost the thread. You just suggested Bingham should get an automatic qualification for next year too.

Postby Cloud Strife

kolompar wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I think you lost the thread. You just suggested Bingham should get an automatic qualification for next year too.

Yes, that's right. Bingham should be exempt from having to qualify next season IMO.

Postby Wildey

When Barry Hearn took over the sport i thought he would do some of the things you have suggested and been a elitist im very pleased he has proved me wrong and given all players the same chance and not because of some "high ranking popularity contest"

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:When Barry Hearn took over the sport i thought he would do some of the things you have suggested and been a elitist im very pleased he has proved me wrong and given all players the same chance and not because of some "high ranking popularity contest"

Aye. His big failing has been his treatment of the UK Championship.

Postby Smart

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:When Barry Hearn took over the sport i thought he would do some of the things you have suggested and been a elitist im very pleased he has proved me wrong and given all players the same chance and not because of some "high ranking popularity contest"

Aye. His big failing has been his treatment of the UK Championship.

yeah, totally screwed that up <ok> <ok> <ok>

Postby Skullman

Had some unexpected semifinalists so far, but can't see one of Robbo or Murphy not making it out from here. Hopefully both make it through to the 'group final' as it's the only match I'll see tomorrow.

Postby Wildey

only 10 players left with a chance of winning the title by the end of tomorrow only 7 left.

who will win this group?

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Had some unexpected semifinalists so far, but can't see one of Robbo or Murphy not making it out from here. Hopefully both make it through to the 'group final' as it's the only match I'll see tomorrow.

Yeah me too, I don't think we'll see any surprises tomorrow, and both Robbo and Murphy should face each other for a place in the Semis.

Postby GJ

Wildey

The bookies fav will face his good mate Joseph in the semis

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Had some unexpected semifinalists so far, but can't see one of Robbo or Murphy not making it out from here. Hopefully both make it through to the 'group final' as it's the only match I'll see tomorrow.

Actually, thinking about it.

I really don't want to sit through a McLeod match this weekend.