Post a reply

WS International Championship Semi-Final 1!!!

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Sunday 25th of October~Sunday 1st of November at the Baihu Media Broadcasting Centre, Daqing, China

Semi-Final 1: Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v David Gilbert

So now it's down to 4 players left in the tournament and the business end of it, and our first Semi-Final is one that most likely most couldn't have predicted at the start of the week. Thailand's Thepchaiya-Nooh managed to beat favourite Mark Allen in the previous round, whilst David Gilbert also managed to surprise with a win over Marco Fu, both players having won their respective matches 6-5.

They have only met once in professional play, and that was a Q School event which Gilbert won, so this is effectively their first proper meeting. Both will be very nervous as expected, but who shall manage that better and earn their first ranking event Final?

DRAW

Click here for Head to Heads

Overall Gilbert leads 1-0

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: WS International Championship Semi-Final 1!!!

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Quite amazing that Un-Nooh has won his quarter-final, last-16, last-32, last-64 and last-128 matches by 6-5!

Yeah I noticed that too :hatoff: :bowdown: :bowdown: :hatoff:

We should call him King of deciding frames now.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:Quite amazing that Un-Nooh has won his quarter-final, last-16, last-32, last-64 and last-128 matches by 6-5!

Selby's the King of deciding frames :no:

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

He never won 4 in a row did he? and 5 overall in same tournament. :wave:

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

He never won 4 in a row did he? and 5 overall in same tournament. :wave:

But he's done it more often than Un-Nooh, who has only proved it in one tournament :wave:

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
But he's done it more often than Un-Nooh, who has only proved it in one tournament :wave:

I know that, I was just joking with you. <ok> Of course Selby is way more credited when it comes to deciders.

But Un-Nooh's feat here is remarkable nonetheless.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

I know that, I was just joking with you. <ok> Of course Selby is way more credited when it comes to deciders.

But Un-Nooh's feat here is remarkable nonetheless.

Indeed it's remarkable the way he won all these deciders.

I wasn't completely serious either, especially when I'm using the :no: smiley.

Postby Alex0paul

Delighted to see Gilbert reach a semi. Tipped him to reach a final a few years ago so will be pleased to see him win tomorrow.

Postby Andre147

I expect both players to be very nervous, especially in the 2nd session obviously because they will come near their first chance of a ranking Final.

The best standard of the match might well come in the first session.

And I hope Thep wins, always loved his style of play and in the last few months he has played very well.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:Don't really have a favourite for this match as I like both of these players. Hopefully, whoever wins this match will go on and take the title.

Even they don't, my only hope is they don't get thrashed like Woolaston was against Higgins and Wilson against Selby. Hopefully either of them will put a good fight in the Final.

Postby hendry_fan

"Quite amazing" indeed!.

I,m not bovered who wins this one,both have done very well to get this far. <ok>

Postby Vallomas

1-1 so far.

Both players look a little nervous and have made mistakes that gifted the frame to each other.

Disappointed by the fact that there are only a few people in the tribune.

I am expecting a tight semifinal.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:Don't really have a favourite for this match as I like both of these players. Hopefully, whoever wins this match will go on and take the title.

Seems to be a lot of ranking events these days, where one semi is two highly ranked players, and the other is two up and coming players.

Postby Vallomas

2-2 on the MSI.

Both players playing an attacking game and this is why we have seen many unforced errors so far. Especially from Thepchaiya, who has been very lucky in three occasions, but took advantage from it only once.

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:

Seems to be a lot of ranking events these days, where one semi is two highly ranked players, and the other is two up and coming players.

Can they be described as 'up-and-coming' I wonder? Gilbert is older than Selby, Robertson and Murphy.
And although many will probably assume Un-Nooh is around 20, he's actually 30!

Postby Vallomas

Gilbert was a little more consistent in the first session than Un-Nooh, so he took the lead (5-3).

The Thai has to be more careful if he wants to have a chance for the victory. I like his attacking approach of the game, but sometimes he selects odd shots and he also misses some easy ones.