Topic locked

SELBY STUNS O'SULLIVAN

Postby footygirl

MARK Selby stunned Ronnie O'Sullivan to reach the semi finals of the world championships with a 13-11 victory over a deflated Rocket.

Resuming at 9-7 the Jester from Leicester settled quickly into his rhthym as he fired in a break of 67 to take the opening frame of the session. But Ronnie isn't one to be intimidated easily as he rolled a break of 45 together with a run of 13 to restore his two frames advantage at 10-8. Selby though wasn't going to go away without a whimper and promptly answered the challenge of the Rocket with a 49 break that ended with a missed red to the centre. As Ronnioe tried to counter he ran out of position. The Rocket , despite leading never really looked comfortable as Selby grew in elf belief. Consequently Ronnie's seemed to drain away with every missed pot, anmd every errant positional shot. His cause certainly wasn't helped when he broke down on 15 in trying to counter Selby's initial effort and even worse- he left Selby a mid length red that the Leicester man pounced upon and made a decisive 33 to cut the deficit to 9-10.

To Ronnie's credit he dredged up a 75 break to edge 11-9 in front after the Leicester man had missed a simple red to the corner. It was probably the worst possible thing that could have happened as Selby roared back with a magical burst of four frames. He hammered in a break of 108 to close to 10-11 with O'Sullivabn offering nothing by way of reply. From then the Leicester man was calling the shots ans Ronnie's body language told the story of a beaten man who didn't know what to do to turn it around.

And forcing the pace and going for reckless shots was certainly not the way to go in frame 22 as it became a catalogue of errors with both men missing three straight pots to the centre pocket. Finally it was Selby who managed to hold his nerve together with a vital 38 break to level the match at 11-11.

Ronnie thgough must only blame himself as he upped the ante against Sdelby, whjo kept to his steady routine. As Selby missed a pink to the centre it seemedf to give the Rocket a chance. To degree Ronnie did answer the challenge, but breaking down on 39 was not enough to put any sizeable pressure on Leicester, rather it only gave Selby a second bite of the cherry - which this time he devoured to the taste of a 46 break to lead 12-11. So to frame 24 and what was to be the final one in a gripping quarter final. Ronnie made the first move with an effort of 36 but missed a red to the centre. Sleby though couldn't take immediate advantage as he missed a long red by a m,ile. A repriever for Ronnie - no chance as he missed a straight red to the centre that was to cost him dear. With one red left on the table Ronnie was also snookered behind the yellow. He escaped but then l;eft the red at Mark's mercy. From there there was to be no way back as Mark slammed in the red, yellow, green and an amazin g brown to seal victory and accept Ronnie's hand in congratualtions. Selby now takes his place in the semi finals where he will face Graeme Dott for a place in the final.

Suzy Jardine - The Crucible

Re: SELBY STUNS O'SULLIVAN

Postby N_Castle07

Towards the end Ronnie was knocking balls around, playing important pots too quick, playing thoughtless safetys. Why was this? Was Ronnie not bothered and not trying? Or did he sense he was going to loose so played these shots on purpose so it looked like he actually wasn't in form?

Postby Roland

It's called being under the cosh. His head went.

Postby Monique

N_Castle07 wrote:Towards the end Ronnie was knocking balls around, playing important pots too quick, playing thoughtless safetys. Why was this? Was Ronnie not bothered and not trying? Or did he sense he was going to loose so played these shots on purpose so it looked like he actually wasn't in form?

the answer is in his own press conference:

He revealed he had been resigned to defeat before Selby potted the brown in the final frame.
"You get to know your own engine. You're sitting there thinking that anything can happen but inside you know how it's going to pan out," he added.

I'll have to add that Ronnie came to his press conference after the Williams match, where he played outstandingly, on the verge of tears and in an alarming state of anxiety and depression. Yesterday the dominant note was clearly relief that the struggle was over. He hasn't it in him at the moment. He hasn't the resources needed to compete at the level the event requires and he knows it. He's a perfectionist and he's extremely down on himself when he feels he lets everyone down (including himself).

Postby Rocket_ron

Monique wrote:I'll have to add that Ronnie came to his press conference after the Williams match, where he played outstandingly, on the verge of tears and in an alarming state of anxiety and depression. Yesterday the dominant note was clearly relief that the struggle was over. He hasn't it in him at the moment. He hasn't the resources needed to compete at the level the event requires and he knows it. He's a perfectionist and he's extremely down on himself when he feels he lets everyone down (including himself).

this is exactly why it upsets me to read the anti-ronnie comments on forums (forums meaning more than one before anyone says anything) ronnie tries real hard 99% of the time to give a good match for viewers. people should respect that.

it must be hard for all players to perform infront of the audience and tv camera and viewers at home. ALL players deserve respect, thats why from now on i will give utmost respect to any player that is playing, and i hope this will become the same resolve for all other members of forums.

i admit in the past i did not look at any other p[layer i would not see past ronnie, but more recently i have opened my head and eyes to other great players, a true snooker fan loves snooker not just the players. i will be enjoying the rest of the tourney, and from now on i wont be posting any hatefull or unpleasant comments about any players as all players deserve praise

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:Towards the end Ronnie was knocking balls around, playing important pots too quick, playing thoughtless safetys. Why was this? Was Ronnie not bothered and not trying? Or did he sense he was going to loose so played these shots on purpose so it looked like he actually wasn't in form?

the answer is in his own press conference:

He revealed he had been resigned to defeat before Selby potted the brown in the final frame.
"You get to know your own engine. You're sitting there thinking that anything can happen but inside you know how it's going to pan out," he added.

I'll have to add that Ronnie came to his press conference after the Williams match, where he played outstandingly, on the verge of tears and in an alarming state of anxiety and depression. Yesterday the dominant note was clearly relief that the struggle was over. He hasn't it in him at the moment. He hasn't the resources needed to compete at the level the event requires and he knows it. He's a perfectionist and he's extremely down on himself when he feels he lets everyone down (including himself).

I think there was more to it than that. I'm not saying that Ronnie beat Ronnie cause it was clear to see that Selby deserved the win. And i'm not talking about the last frame, it was clear to see Ronnie was playing careless snooker way way before Selby potted the final brown. Only Ronnie knows why he was playing careless "i don't care" snooker, i don't know if it is depression or childish actions. Either way what is going to happen next season with the pro tour and the euro tour? Can you really see Ronnie giving a flying buck about these events? It will be bad for snooker for the biggest draw turing up with a "i couldn't give a bucking rubbish" attitude.

Postby N_Castle07

rocket_ron wrote:
Monique wrote:I'll have to add that Ronnie came to his press conference after the Williams match, where he played outstandingly, on the verge of tears and in an alarming state of anxiety and depression. Yesterday the dominant note was clearly relief that the struggle was over. He hasn't it in him at the moment. He hasn't the resources needed to compete at the level the event requires and he knows it. He's a perfectionist and he's extremely down on himself when he feels he lets everyone down (including himself).

this is exactly why it upsets me to read the anti-ronnie comments on forums (forums meaning more than one before anyone says anything) ronnie tries real hard 99% of the time to give a good match for viewers. people should respect that.

it must be hard for all players to perform infront of the audience and tv camera and viewers at home. ALL players deserve respect, thats why from now on i will give utmost respect to any player that is playing, and i hope this will become the same resolve for all other members of forums.

i admit in the past i did not look at any other p[layer i would not see past ronnie, but more recently i have opened my head and eyes to other great players, a true snooker fan loves snooker not just the players. i will be enjoying the rest of the tourney, and from now on i wont be posting any hatefull or unpleasant comments about any players as all players deserve praise

I understand your a huge Ronnie fan and i respect that but he does not try his best 99% of the time not by a long way. i'm not using this as a excuse to shoot Ronnie down i actually think it is disappointing to have the world number 1 playing with this attitude.