Post a reply

SKY Coverage of Snooker

Postby whitespider

Why is it that SKY doesn't seem interested in Snooker to the extent of picking up the odd ranking event or two?

Given that they cover the Snooker Shoot-Out, and most of the Matchroom pool (which surely would not pull in as many viewers as a snooker tournament) the decision seems a little strange. Especially with those links to Hearn.

I'm not advocating SKY getting coverage, but am wondering why they pick up these minor parts of the calendar and not something more substantial.

They may feel the Eurosport coverage covers this for them I suppose but at the same time Eurosport has had conflicts with scheduling in recent times. Shanghai Masters recently being the main one.

Also as an aside - BT don't seem interested at all!

Re: SKY Coverage of Snooker

Postby Smart

Sky seem to have an all or nothing approach to the sports they take seriously.

With cricket its blanket coverage of all pretty much all international cricket, plus county cricket, plus IPL, plus Big Bash and massive emphasis on LIVE coverage. Tons of hours and at times complete dedicated channel (ASHES channel for instance).

Football is much the same with loads of LIVE coverage. Its only the loss of the Champions League that weakens this argument (and its a big loss IMVHPO).

Snooker is something that is like you say only seen by Sky as being the Shoot-Out, no serious coverage.

If they bid against the BBC and Eurosport they would win easily so it must be an ego battle for it to of not happened by now.

Its hard to bash the Eurosport coverage because snooker fans never had it so good but some of their decisions leave you kinda scratching your head. They will for instance follow a tournie all week with at times 2 LIVE channels in operation and then come the final they just offer a late night extended highlights programme, because some motorbike race was LIVE at the corresponding time. Baffling.

BBC don't acknowledge that their is even a tour outside of what they show.

In effect SKY could boost their LIVE offering for not much expenditure.

:|

Postby whitespider

Definately a surprise that they think Pool is more viable than the Snooker.

Unless they are going to be picking up that "Home Series" of Snooker next year. As far as I know that has not been announced.

Postby SnookerFan

whitespider wrote:Definately a surprise that they think Pool is more viable than the Snooker.

Unless they are going to be picking up that "Home Series" of Snooker next year. As far as I know that has not been announced.

I doubt it, somehow. Sky don't really like televising ranking events.

ITV 4 is more likely.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The gimmicky events (which they seem to be phasing out now) cost a lot less to cover than ranking events which last a whole week with two tables and afternoon sessions. Any ranking event that they would cover would still be seen as second tier compared to the big 3 on BBC. I presume when they started covering Snooker heavily in the 90's they though the BBC tournaments would be theirs soon enough and not getting them along with the decline in Snookers popularity led to them dropped in 2004. Maybe if they got the big 3 they would cover other tournaments too but possibly Sky have moved on and Snooker isn't something they are interested in anymore.