Topic locked

Who do you think will win the World Championship 2010 ?

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2010

Neil Robertson
27%
Allister Carter
7%
Graeme Dott
20%
Mark Selby
47%

Total votes : 15

Who wins the World Championships now ? (SF)

Postby Bourne

Robertson vs Carter
Dott vs Selby

Robertson - Second appearance in a World semi-final after last year where he lost to Shaun Murphy. 4 time ranking winner, provisionally top-four, very much on the up.

Carter - Consistency personified ever since making the World final 2 years ago, always making quarters and semis wherever he goes. First ranking title in 2009, monkey off his back.

Dott - Two world-finals, back to somewhere near his best this fortnight in beating three good players, back in the top 16 so the pressure will be off him, lowest ranked player left.

Selby - Another former World-finalist, two time Masters champion but like Carter, looking for his second ranking title here. Widely believed to be the best current, serious player not to win a World title, yet.

So who is your pick to win the 2010 World Snooker Championship on Bank Holiday Monday ?
Last edited by Bourne on 28 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who wins the World Championships now ? (SF)

Postby GJ

Selby, Mark EVS
Robertson, Neil 11/4
Carter, Ali 4/1
Dott, Graeme 11/2

odds to win it

Postby Roland

Robbo is the man for Selby to fear now, but after Ronnie.... well

Not taking Dott lightly but last year they met and Selby won 13-9. I feel Selby will be the stronger man in that encounter.

Also I'm really pleased for Carter. I started an article about him being a false number 3 and I'm happy to get egg on my face because he's made the semi's again and has shown great character. I've finally warmed to Carter, but Robbo is favourite in that match.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:Robbo is the man for Selby to fear now, but after Ronnie.... well

Not taking Dott lightly but last year they met and Selby won 13-9. I feel Selby will be the stronger man in that encounter.

Also I'm really pleased for Carter. I started an article about him being a false number 3 and I'm happy to get egg on my face because he's made the semi's again and has shown great character. I've finally warmed to Carter, but Robbo is favourite in that match.

Respect for you to for being that honest. I know he got a couple of unexpected opportunities towards the end but all the talk of bottler/choker Carter really ought to stop, he's well-deserving of his place at this level. So what if he's a late-developer, no-one is talking him up as a GOAT contender, just a real solid pro who's made the most of his talent. <ok>

Postby Casey

To win a final frame at this level it requires a lot of bottle, really well done Carter. 8-4 down at one stage as well.

Carter has already beaten Neil this year, it will be no walkover for sure

Postby GJ

yes i prefer robbo to face carter than shaun but it will be a really tough one

Carter has won their 2 shorter matches while robbo won their best of 25 one last year

Postby Bourne

GJtheaussiestud wrote:yes i prefer robbo to face carter than shaun but it will be a really tough one

Carter has won their 2 shorter matches while robbo won their best of 25 one last year

Always remember that for some amazing comebacks from Robertson :bowdown: But then again it did highlight how often Carter got in first in that match, always getting good table-time. I think that'll be a tight one.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:yes i prefer robbo to face carter than shaun but it will be a really tough one

Always remember that for some amazing comebacks from Robertson :bowdown: But then again it did highlight how often Carter got in first in that match, always getting good table-time. I think that'll be a tight one.

safety will be key for this match who can create chances

also robbo's easy round 1 last year did him no favours where as this year has he has had a few tough matches to get match sharp

Postby Bourne

Did you see Robbo's interview after the match today ? Something like 'I started to feel sorry for Steve at about 11-2' ... amazed he said that to be honest ?

Postby Casey

I know who won't be winning it, I wonder how far down the road Ronnie is now? At least 60miles I reckon :wave:

na, I am really hoping for a Selby v Robbo final. Neil is a bit older so he probably needs it more, Selby will probably get more chances for it in years to come.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Did you see Robbo's interview after the match today ? Something like 'I started to feel sorry for Steve at about 11-2' ... amazed he said that to be honest ?

he didnt celebrate at the end i think he looks up to steve as his idol in snooker

Postby onlyevertonjon

case_master wc wrote:I know who won't be winning it, I wonder how far down the road Ronnie is now? At least 60miles I reckon :wave:

na, I am really hoping for a Selby v Robbo final. Neil is a bit older so he probably needs it more, Selby will probably get more chances for it in years to come.

He' taking my interest with it. I woke up this morning thinking if Dott wins Ronnie needs to win, Allen I wouldnt have been bothered.

Someone please start promoting Mark Allen!

Postby Roland

If Carter plays Selby in the final we're guaranteed to continue the bizarre phenomenon of every World Champion appearing in at least 2 World finals.

I think Selby v Robbo then Selby wins and Robbo wins his next final to continue the trend.

At least I have the chance to back up my claims last year about Selby. Higgins v Selby was the real final and it was slightly annoying when Mark Allen and Robbo/Murphy got the plaudits at the end because I knew Selby would beat them all. Now he can prove it.

Selby v Robertson is very very tasty.

Going back to Carter - I've never known anything about his character but going and seeing him live there were certain mannerisms, little things he said out loud, big exhales of breath, I could relate to him more than I'd done previously. And although he's not really the 3rd best player in the world (I would put Ronnie, Selby, Higgins, Robbo, Ding ahead of him) he's a bloody good player and showed great character in coming from behind to beat Murphy so fair play to him and all the better if he beats Robbo. But not Selby ;)

Postby Alex0paul

Going by history Carter should get to the final because he beat Murphy.

Dott has a major advantage that all the others don't have which could prove massive.

Postby Alex0paul

Sonny wrote:What's the Carter history about Murphy?

Is the Dott major advantage anything to do with Phil Mickleson? :redneck:

That is one of the patterns :D
Murphy always loses to the runner up (barring last year where it was impossible)

Dott's advantage is that he has won it where the others havent.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:
Sonny wrote:What's the Carter history about Murphy?

Is the Dott major advantage anything to do with Phil Mickleson? :redneck:

That is one of the patterns :D
Murphy always loses to the runner up (barring last year where it was impossible)

Dott's advantage is that he has won it where the others havent.

to be honest its great dott playing well again but i think all 4 are on a very level playing field regarding being world champion is concerned Carter,Selby and Robbo has resent experiance to fall back on where Dott been through the mill sideways over last few years so winning in 2006 isnt any advantage to what happens the next 5 days.

Postby Alex0paul

Sonny wrote:Selby's advantage is that he beat Dott 13-9 last year without breaking sweat :santa:

13-10 actually and it went very close at the end with Selby pulling off a great clearance to just pull away.

Postby Casey

Selby is by no means a cert, yes beating Ronnie was massive, but that only gets you into the next round as it proved for Allen last year.

Its wide open with any combination possible.

Postby Bourne

Well for me, its gota be Selby. I was worried for him when I saw his draw, Doherty/Hendry/O'Sullivan just to merely reach the semis looked a tough ask. But he's been top draw since he went 5-9 down yesterday, the confidence he's going to have taken from that result could be critical. He's the best player left in the draw, and he plays the weakest player left in the draw in the semis which isn't exactly a roll-over, but I feel Mark will beat him with room to spare. No Higgins to stop him this time, this just seems to be his time.

Postby Roland

There is a danger of complacency so it wouldn't surprise me to see Dott take a lead after today but Selby seems to up his game when he really needs it so from that angle even if he does drop behind say 10-6 after 2 sessions, I'll expect him to up it and come out on top.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:There is a danger of complacency so it wouldn't surprise me to see Dott take a lead after today but Selby seems to up his game when he really needs it so from that angle even if he does drop behind say 10-6 after 2 sessions, I'll expect him to up it and come out on top.

selby plays better when he starts bad like against murphy in 07

Postby Wildey

Selby has to be favorite ....the way Ronnie Played to go 9-5 up was amazing so the sheer effort it took him to keep with Ronnie was astounding yesterday many players would have been swamped by it but not Selby and from 9-5 Selby won 8-2 against Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:Selby has to be favorite ....the way Ronnie Played to go 9-5 up was amazing so the sheer effort it took him to keep with Ronnie was astounding yesterday many players would have been swamped by it but not Selby and from 9-5 Selby won 8-2 against Ronnie O'Sullivan.

slight fav