Post a reply

Should they eradicate Midsession Intervals in BO9s?

Postby SnookerFan

As title.

The Eurosport mob suggested it in frame 4 of the Ding match today.

I don't like the idea, but apparently there's been some talk of it.

Gives the fans a break, and it gives the players a challenge, see if they can maintain momentum after MSI.

What say you, Island?

Re: Should they eradicate Midsession Intervals in BO9s?

Postby Andre147

Matches longer than Best of 7s should always have MSIs.

As you say, it gives fans and players a break, and also it can change the pattern of a match, say a player is 3-1 or even 4-0 up and loses the match.

Europsort mob as usual trying to create a discussion where there isn't any. pmsl

Postby Wildey

Ive always been a fan of mid session intervals.

it can and has many times turned a rout in to a classic why would anyone want to create a scenario where a player doesent get the chance to re group is beyond me.

Postby Smart

No.

Gives you chance for a lengthy snake hiss.

Gives you chance for a crap.

Gives you chance to put a quick meal together.

Gives you chance to feed a pet.

Gives you chance for a quick shower.

Gives you a chance to make a sandwich.

Gives you a chance to nip to the local shop for a lotto ticket or something else.

I SAY KEEP THE MSI. :gag: :clap:

Postby PoolBoy

Without the interval, we'd miss Dennis Taylor's often repeated wisdom, "..we used to treat the four frames up to the mid-session interval as a mini session, believe it or not...
You'd try to win it 3-1 and winning all four was a bonus.."
Ring any bells?!

Postby Dan-cat

Smart wrote:No.

Gives you a chance to nip to the local shop for a lotto ticket or something else.

Only one thing missing from your list: Plan B

:)

Postby Smart

Dan-cat wrote:
Smart wrote:No.

Only one thing missing from your list: Plan B

:)

In the shower ???? :evilgrin:

Postby PLtheRef

I think in the scenario of a best of 9 frame match - the interval is still a necessity though there are circumstances where the game wouldn't be harmed by playing a straight nine frames - e.g. if a tournament was played on SKY or another broadcaster which could leave coverage at the end of each frame for a break. It also provides nowadays the distinction between a bread and butter fixture of best of 7 frames - and the proper distance.

I firmly believe that the midsession should arrive at the middle point of a session - so in a session of 10 or 11 frames it should come at the end of the fifth rather than fourth.

The nature of the interval is that it provides a challenge to both players in every game. For those struggling a 3-1 or 4-0 down, its the chance to regroup, for those in the lead - its the break in play they don't want, how will they respond?

Recoveries from 0-4 down are rare but aren't uncommon. Would half as many? Would any at all occur if a match played a full session with no interval,

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:I think in the scenario of a best of 9 frame match - the interval is still a necessity though there are circumstances where the game wouldn't be harmed by playing a straight nine frames - e.g. if a tournament was played on SKY or another broadcaster which could leave coverage at the end of each frame for a break. It also provides nowadays the distinction between a bread and butter fixture of best of 7 frames - and the proper distance.

I firmly believe that the midsession should arrive at the middle point of a session - so in a session of 10 or 11 frames it should come at the end of the fifth rather than fourth.

The nature of the interval is that it provides a challenge to both players in every game. For those struggling a 3-1 or 4-0 down, its the chance to regroup, for those in the lead - its the break in play they don't want, how will they respond?

Recoveries from 0-4 down are rare but aren't uncommon. Would half as many? Would any at all occur if a match played a full session with no interval,

The part I made in bold is actually a very interesting idea and one that I also had given thoughts about in the past. I would also support this idea, sure the MSI should always exist in matches longer than Best of 7, I don't think anyone here disagrees with that, but why do they always have to come after the 4th frame? So yeah in a Best of 11 match or a session which has 11 frames planned then it should come after the fifth frame I fully agree.

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:in the scottish masters a few years back the mid session interval was introduced after the 5th frame of a best of 11.

Andre147 wrote:I firmly believe that the midsession should arrive at the middle point of a session - so in a session of 10 or 11 frames it should come at the end of the fifth rather than fourth.

The part I made in bold is actually a very interesting idea and one that I also had given thoughts about in the past. I would also support this idea, sure the MSI should always exist in matches longer than Best of 7, I don't think anyone here disagrees with that, but why do they always have to come after the 4th frame? So yeah in a Best of 11 match or a session which has 11 frames planned then it should come after the fifth frame I fully agree.

That I believe was done at the behest of BBC Scotland