Post a reply

Hello from the States!

Postby Gridlock

Greetings! Michigan USA snooker fan here. The New Yorker profile of Ronnie o'sullivan piqued my interest, and I have been following since this year's crucible. Of course catching up via youtube all the way back to the hurricane. Never played. Might be 2 tables in my entire state. Cheers, bourbon and scotch drinker here, and I am glad to have found Snooker Island!

Re: Hello from the States!

Postby Andre147

:welcomes:

Nice to hear from a fan from the states, shame there basically aren't any Snooker tables for you to give it a practice, but nevertheless I think you'll find this Forum a pleasant one, there's some very interesting Snooker discussions and the usual banter as well.

Also happy to hear you're catching up with the history of the game and some of the greats like Hurricane Higgins via Youtube, there's tons of matches from the 80s there and I love watching them when I have the time, I too always been a bit of a Snooker historian.

Hope you like it here, have a great time. <ok>

Postby Gridlock

Thank you for the welcome. I have definitely immersed myself in learning all I can from Youtube's vast archive of snooker! I play a fair amount of Bar pool here. 8 ball that is.

I am also intrigued by English billiards...the scoring and such.

My favorite players thus far have to be Judd Trump and Anthony McGill, although all I have watched seem to be true sportsmen; something that is lacking in American sports.

I am of English, Scotch and Irish heritage, and hope to visit the Isles one day. at age 54, I suppose it could be time to start a bucket list!

Cheers!

Postby Muppet147

Hi Gridlock.

I lived in the States for a decade and loved the US bar pool. It is so much better than our UK equivalent as the pockets are bigger and you can experiment more. I preferred the League rules in the US, as you have the ball in hand rule which is better than our own two shots for a foul rule.

Postby Gridlock

I've become quite rusty, playing infrequently. Cant wait to retire!

Postby Dan-cat

Yo Gridlock :)

That was a good profile of Ronnie in the New Yorker. Glad it brought you into the snooker fold! Yup Trumpy and McGill are exciting players for sure. You should check out Mike White too. Snooker is in a healthy state right now and full of diverse characters.

I play a lot of pool on US tables at my club here in London the Hurricane Room, in Kings Cross.

Welcome to the Island :)

Dan

Postby Gridlock

Dan-cat wrote:Yo Gridlock :)

That was a good profile of Ronnie in the New Yorker. Glad it brought you into the snooker fold! Yup Trumpy and McGill are exciting players for sure. You should check out Mike White too. Snooker is in a healthy state right now and full of diverse characters.

I play a lot of pool on US tables at my club here in London the Hurricane Room, in Kings Cross.

Welcome to the Island :)

Dan

Thank you Dan...
I remember seeing Mike White playing a couple days ago.Trump, McGill, Lisowski...also a lot of the older guys....they get so close. Maybe a bit harsh, but a snooker player I think, sometimes can be only as good as their last frame. Nerves, fatigue, level of competition....why I like it!

Postby TheSaviour

Hello.

Basically, only the practise makes perfect. I always dislike the idea of someone being called as a naturally talented snooker player. Some people were amazed how I what they called or thought suddenly, started to play really good. But then I had these conversations. I told them that I had the mini-sized pool table in my room as a little kid a many, many years. AND for years I practised many hours per day (when I was 10-16 years old), and during the weekends I usually played some practise matches against my cousin. Who also had a similar table in a house where he lived. And it was a really professional type of practise. And I also played a lots of sports like tennis and badminton, where I was able to use the similar touch which is required if wanting to play a good level of billiard. Of any kind. And then these people where "amazed" how I was able to play really good 8 or 9ball when I was 21 or years of old. I just always prefer to walk the walk, instead of talking the talk. I practised a lot, a lot, as a little good. I only had a few years break not playing so much when I had a terrarium for gerbils on the that table.

I played my best matches when I was 21 or 22. Against my cousin in a one bar. Now I am 34. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehBH67BoBWU This somehow reminds me of how good it was.

Postby Gridlock

Thanks for sharing! I had a little Coleco pool table when I was 10 or so. Can't believe that was over 40 years ago. Still have the 13 ball from it!