Post a reply

Any snooker tables in Manila?

Postby Andy Spark

Just on the off chance that someone round here might know... :chin:

I'm going there next year and may bring my snooker cue, but I fear its use may be restricted to playing pool or beating off the street muggers. :-(

Still the booze is cheap down there! :party:

Re: Any snooker tables in Manila?

Postby Andre147

I never been there myself but I very much doubt you'll find a Snooker table there, at least not a full size one, maybe just maybe a 10 foot but I still doubt it...

You will find lots of Pool tables as you know Pool is huge in the Philippenes so at least you can have fun in them.

Postby Andy Spark

You might be right there Andre. Plenty of pool clubs round the Philippines, but they have yet to really discover snooker. Hopefully they will do sometime as their ability to produce great pool players is well known, it would be a pity if they didn't discover the greatest cue sport of them all.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:Maybe you could put a snooker table in your suitcase?

Good idea! I'll just check the excess baggage regulations...

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:'How did the first snooker table arrive in Riga? Was it on its holidays?'

Was it me who made that joke? I think I remember saying something along those lines. rofl

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:'How did the first snooker table arrive in Riga? Was it on its holidays?'

Was it me who made that joke? I think I remember saying something along those lines. rofl

Yes. As I remarked at the time it was my favourite thing about that whole tournament :)

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Yes. As I remarked at the time it was my favourite thing about that whole tournament :)

They should have me commentating.

Postby kolompar

There are snooker players from the Philippines, and Manila is the capital, so I think there could be some tables there.

Postby Andy Spark

kolompar wrote:There are snooker players from the Philippines, and Manila is the capital, so I think there could be some tables there.

Well, yes. According to the web, snooker tables have been known to exist there at certain times. It is an absolutely massive city. I think Ibiza and Damascus are smaller places with fewer international influences.

Postby kelkelkel

Hey Andy, I've been looking for a snooker table in Manila too, and the closest I've gotten to is a reply from the Billiard Sports Confederation of the Philippines (BSCP), suggesting their training venue on the 2nd floor of the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex Sports Medicine Building.

Photos here confirm they have several full size snooker tables (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 450&type=3)

However... I went to visit them over the weekend, and according to the security guard, the venue is shut without the supervision of the 'caretaker', and the 'caretaker' is only present during weekdays, 8am - 5pm.

Apparently, even national team members are not allowed in without the 'caretaker', under the instruction of the President of BSCP.

I will try my luck next week during lunch hours to see if the 'caretaker' can compromise and open-up over the weekends, but if not, we are back to square one.

Much appreciated for any advice on locating that elusive snooker table in Manila... quite frustrating given the size of this capital city! Let's practice together too if you fancy.

Postby Andy Spark

Hi Kelkelkel! Haha...You've found one! :D Thank you, Excellent work. :-) A pity about the caretaker issue, :chin: I wish you luck in persuading a compromise to the caretaker issue over weekends. Let me know how you get on.

Timing of my visit is not yet, probably Sep 2016 to Mar 2017, (hoping about Nov 2016) so a long time to wait still; however, we could have a few games if you're around when I come and things can somehow be arranged nearer the time...stay contactable by PM. (I've sent you my email address)

Postby kelkelkel

I will visit them today, keep you posted on this.

Thanks for the PM, I'd like to reply there but because I'm new to the forum, I need to 'participate more' before I can reply to a PM. Once I've made a century break here, I'll PM you my email.

Postby kelkelkel

Dropped by yesterday after work, and had a practice session with the national no.1 seed, Michaelangelo Mengorio!

BSCP President, Arturo Ilagan, Jr., and coach Sunder Jairaj kindly allowed me to have a practice session with Michael, and as expected, I spectated throughout and we were poles apart in ability.

The practice venue is apparently no longer available to the public and exclusive to the national team, however, both the president and coach welcomed external snooker players to practice with their team.

They also confirmed that snooker tables are unlikely to exist elsewhere in Manila, as pool is by far the more dominant cue sport.

I hope I played alright and they'd be interested to have me back (maybe to play with juniors)... however it seems they only train during weekdays and finish shop at around 17:30.

Delighted to get my hand on the baize finally!

Postby Andy Spark

Oh, dear. I'm having trouble finding pool tables in Manila also. Which idiot decided to call the game "pool". Now whenever you search for "pool" on a search engine you just get loads of swimming pools! I don't want swimming pools!!! :mood: Where are the pool tables in Manila? That's what I'd like to know.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:Oh, dear. I'm having trouble finding pool tables in Manila also. Which idiot decided to call the game "pool". Now whenever you search for "pool" on a search engine you just get loads of swimming pools! I don't want swimming pools!!! :mood: Where are the pool tables in Manila? That's what I'd like to know.

rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Andy Spark

Ok, ok, I get it, thank you "dan-cat", I should have searched for "billiards", but it is confusing because Efren Ryas ( the absolute genius Filipino) was a pool player not a billiard player, (and I thought a billiard table was also the larger table you play snooker on). God, it's all very confusing, isn't it! :?

Postby Dan-cat

Yup Efren Ryes is one of my heroes, alongside Earl the Pearl Strickland. Glorious players.

I travelled around Colombia a couple of years ago and I played pool in most places I visited. In one place, Bogota, I found a Billiares hall down an alley. As it's called in Spanish. I peeked through the windows and could see about 30 tables all shimmering in under the lights - I was so excited. And I bust open the doors... to discover none of the tables had pockets - I was so disappointed! They played Three-ball Carom in that place. A fiendishly difficult game with three balls like billiards... to score you have to hit the first ball with the white, then three cushions, then the second ball. That's one point. They played first to 5 and it could still take a week.

Postby TheSaviour

Dan-cat wrote:Yup Efren Ryes is one of my heroes, alongside Earl the Pearl Strickland. Glorious players.

I travelled around Colombia a couple of years ago and I played pool in most places I visited. In one place, Bogota, I found a Billiares hall down an alley. As it's called in Spanish. I peeked through the windows and could see about 30 tables all shimmering in under the lights - I was so excited. And I bust open the doors... to discover none of the tables had pockets - I was so disappointed! They played Three-ball Carom in that place. A fiendishly difficult game with three balls like billiards... to score you have to hit the first ball with the white, then three cushions, then the second ball. That's one point. They played first to 5 and it could still take a week.

Three-ball Carom is a great way to learn the shots you essentially need in order to win some difficult snooker or 9ball - matches. No matter how good you otherwise would be you have to be able to execute under the heaviest pressure.

Now, I feel we really have a a star filled field this week! Players like Andrew Higginson or Matt Selt (and that´s just naming just a few) are just superb to watch. There would be an other way to play the game also, but still they are always reducing themselves to play like they always do lol. Which is just awesome. It really is.

Ronnie, when he plays, always have some nice post-match comments. Audiences and crowds are rounding up for the big lad to hear those comments.

Postby Dan-cat

TheSaviour wrote:Three-ball Carom is a great way to learn the shots you essentially need in order to win some difficult snooker or 9ball - matches. No matter how good you otherwise would be you have to be able to execute under the heaviest pressure.

In a slice of synchronicity when I got back from Colombia I was telling my sister, who lives in Spain, about the trip. 'Carom?' she asked, 'Oh my boss plays carom. He invites the top players to his house to play exhibitions for big money - there are loads of clips on youtube of him playing'

It's an amazing game. The spin and screw required to move the white about to score points is staggering. As you said Saviour it is a hell of a practice routine for positional play for snooker and pool. I like the sound of the balls going into pockets though!

Check him out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK0lQULgxlQ&app=desktop

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:Synchronicity?

Hark at you using big words.

Hark at you using the word hark - I love that!

Synchronicity - seemingly coincidental happenings that are not. Swiss psychoanalyst Carl Jung coined this term (Freud's great friend and then rival) when he continually noticed coincidences in his life that were far too strange to not pay attention to.

Postby Andy Spark

I am now thinking of going to Bangkok rather than Manila, it is the fault of the Manila government that they haven't given me a snooker table. What am I supposed to do? Bring my own! I think the Philippines government should review their "billiards" policy. And also Syria, I think one member round here was disappointed to learn that the Syrian government had neglected to provide snooker tables. Well, they won't get my tourist trade! >-(

Postby Cue Guru

Bangkok sounds good, plenty of great cue makers in Thailand and plenty of clubs and players and pros. Ton Praram would be worth a visit. Maybe also Kong cues who make cues for Wooldridge/GBL among others.

Postby Andy Spark

Cue Guru wrote:Bangkok sounds good, plenty of great cue makers in Thailand and plenty of clubs and players and pros. Ton Praram would be worth a visit. Maybe also Kong cues who make cues for Wooldridge/GBL among others.

Was thinking about possibly getting a new cue actually, my one is a bit bent and I've spoiled the ferrule by inaccurate tip roughing up. A nice Thai made cue sounds interesting. :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:I am now thinking of going to Bangkok rather than Manila, it is the fault of the Manila government that they haven't given me a snooker table. What am I supposed to do? Bring my own! I think the Philippines government should review their "billiards" policy. And also Syria, I think one member round here was disappointed to learn that the Syrian government had neglected to provide snooker tables. Well, they won't get my tourist trade! >-(

This is outrageous. You should write to the government over there, demanding that their highest dignitaries look into this global problem.

The fact that they can't provide comprehensive facilities to cater to every hobby for every tourist in their country is a disgrace.