Post a reply

Five years since Hurricane Higgins died.

Postby SnookerFan

Five years, hey. Time really does fly.

I was in the pub, which I think he would've wanted. I was also wearing my Alex Higgins T-Shirt. Which isn't as big a coincidence as it sounds. I wear that a lot.

RIP Alex.

Re: Five years since Hurricane Higgins died.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:Five years, hey. Time really does fly.

I was in the pub, which I think he would've wanted. I was also wearing my Alex Higgins T-Shirt. Which isn't as big a coincidence as it sounds. I wear that a lot.

RIP Alex.

Why would he want you to be in a pub?

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:

RIP Alex.

That's where he spent most of his life...

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

RIP Alex.

Yes but why would he give a rubbish what YOU were doing?

Postby acesinc

Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

RIP Alex.

I think some people just get the role of the Hurricane in the history of snooker...and sadly, many don't. Thanks, Snookerfan, for a fitting post. I also posted a tribute yesterday on my club website.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."
- Sir Isaac Newton

Alex "Hurricane" Higgins is a giant in the world of snooker upon whose shoulders many others have stood. RIP

Postby acesinc

SnookerFan wrote:Really don't seem five years, does it?

I don't know how old you are but at my age, five years could seem about five minutes. If I only make it to Alex's age, I don't have much further to go. Holden is correct.

Holden Chinaski wrote:RIP Hurricane Higgins! Still the most exciting player ever to pick up a cue.

I would estimate that over half of my "instruction" of how to play this game comes from watching and re-watching Hurricane videos to the point that I probably have most of them memorized. Not so much from a technical viewpoint....modern players strive for robotic repetition of the stroke which is of course the surest path to success. Alex's stroke would vary from shot to shot. From a technical standpoint, it is atrocious. But from Alex, one learns that passion and imagination are the primary ingredients to playing the game well. And that passion can work both directions--Alex had sessions that the ball just could not help but pot when he was entertaining the crowd, and he had times when he could not hit the pocket if it were a peach basket when he was in self-destruct mode. The biggest trick of course is to maintain that positive while letting the negative go, and it wasn't often enough that Alex could do that. I think I have learned to "see" the table the way he "saw" the table. I often watch my opponent play a basic thick red to leave on a yellow or green when I think to myself, "He doesn't see the path to black there." More often, I seem to be told how "fortunate" I am with how the white just happens to roll to the black. If more players watch and learn from Alex, it is amazing how quickly their "fortune" will improve.

Thank God for the internet. I will continue to improve my game watching the old videos of the Hurricane until it is my time to go.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

RIP Alex.

Question is why do you give a rubbish about most things snookerfan posts?

Postby TheSaviour

acesinc wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Really don't seem five years, does it?

I don't know how old you are but at my age, five years could seem about five minutes. If I only make it to Alex's age, I don't have much further to go. Holden is correct.

Holden Chinaski wrote:RIP Hurricane Higgins! Still the most exciting player ever to pick up a cue.

I would estimate that over half of my "instruction" of how to play this game comes from watching and re-watching Hurricane videos to the point that I probably have most of them memorized. Not so much from a technical viewpoint....modern players strive for robotic repetition of the stroke which is of course the surest path to success. Alex's stroke would vary from shot to shot. From a technical standpoint, it is atrocious. But from Alex, one learns that passion and imagination are the primary ingredients to playing the game well. And that passion can work both directions--Alex had sessions that the ball just could not help but pot when he was entertaining the crowd, and he had times when he could not hit the pocket if it were a peach basket when he was in self-destruct mode. The biggest trick of course is to maintain that positive while letting the negative go, and it wasn't often enough that Alex could do that. I think I have learned to "see" the table the way he "saw" the table. I often watch my opponent play a basic thick red to leave on a yellow or green when I think to myself, "He doesn't see the path to black there." More often, I seem to be told how "fortunate" I am with how the white just happens to roll to the black. If more players watch and learn from Alex, it is amazing how quickly their "fortune" will improve.

Thank God for the internet. I will continue to improve my game watching the old videos of the Hurricane until it is my time to go.

Well, you summed up a recovery potting there.. Alex surely was one of the best, if not best, in that category.

Obviously no offence, but your post somehow reminded me about GJ´s "expert tips" during the BBC-forums 7, 8 or 9 years ago. Once I asked from GJ that what is so "expert" about your tips; expert on what? Expert of being a completely biased towards your favourite players ? rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Dan-cat

Ace thread SF. You have a Hurricane t-shirt? I want one of those!!!

I remember something Hendry said about Alex Higgins, after his funeral, that he appreciated just how much the Hurricane had transformed the sport that had made him his fortune, and for that he was truly thankful.

This is worth a watch - Hendry vs Higgins 1989 Irish Masters :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NSP8VLliLA

Postby acesinc

Dan-cat wrote:...
This is worth a watch - Hendry vs Higgins 1989 Irish Masters :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NSP8VLliLA

I love this video Dan, I think it is the Hurricane's last hurrah. Watched it a dozen of times or more. Anyone who reads this post, even if you are not a fan of the snooker style of either Alex or Stephen, you should still watch at least the last couple minutes of this video, the post-match interview. It is a bit of a "passing of the torch" moment with Alex predicting the fortune to come of then still emerging young Stephen Hendry. A direct link to that interview at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... iLA#t=7040

There seem to be a lot of snooker fans that don't believe the old time players, pre-Ronnie O'Sullivan, could hold a candle to even the journeymen modern players. And that is probably true if the old time players had a time travel machine and leapt directly to the modern era in their younger bodies and still ingrained on the prevalent equipment of their time. But on the other hand, I would submit that without the old time players, from Joe Davis forward, and especially to Alex for his showmanship, to lay the brick and mortar foundation to turn Snooker into a successful modern entertainment industry, half or more of the modern players would either be on the dole or flipping burgers at the McDonald's because there simply would be no money in the Game. That is exactly what Stephen Hendry meant:
Dan-cat wrote:...
I remember something Hendry said about Alex Higgins, after his funeral, that he appreciated just how much the Hurricane had transformed the sport that had made him his fortune, and for that he was truly thankful...

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Ace thread SF. You have a Hurricane t-shirt? I want one of those!!!

I have. (As Sundaygirl will confirm.

It's getting a bit well worn now. I guess it's more than a five years old now.

Postby Dan-cat

Just ordered this!! :) :) :) http://www.redmolotov.com/catalogue/tsh ... ggins.html

Wonderfully explained as always Acesinc. You should write biographies or similar in your spare time! (I'm aware you don't have much!)

What a moving moment this is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd3rkncvh6v2z ... 3.png?dl=0

Postby The Cueist

God bless him .
Never see the like again or one who could produce
Such electric atmospheres and antagonism towards any opponent.

No matter how good they were he could cut them all down on his day with his unorthodox technique and
Dogged determination .

Well missed but never forgotten.

Postby Sickpotter

A great player and entertainer, RIP.

I wouldn't use him as a baseline for any aspect of my game though. Unlikely to want to emulate his personality either ;-)

While passion and imagination played a big part in his ability I don't see those attributes as something that can be taught.

Imagination seems to be hardwired into people, they either are or aren't imaginative. Passion...I suppose that could develop from watching a enjoyable player but I think true passion for the game is held by players, not spectators. People are attracted to the game by watching other players but develop a passion for it by playing.

Postby Wildey

Sickpotter wrote:Imagination seems to be hardwired into people, they either are or aren't imaginative. Passion...I suppose that could develop from watching a enjoyable player but I think true passion for the game is held by players, not spectators. People are attracted to the game by watching other players but develop a passion for it by playing.

I Disagree some fans has more passion for the game than players Just look at ex players they retire and cant be fussed to watch it or follow it.

There are passionate players but theres others that treats it as a Job.

Look at the money some fans pay to go and watch snooker wished i could afford that but i cant.

You dont have to have played the sport to develop real understanding of the sport and dedicated Passion.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
I Disagree some fans has more passion for the game than players Just look at ex players they retire and cant be fussed to watch it or follow it.

Look at the money some fans pay to go and watch snooker wished i could afford that but i cant.

You dont have to have played the sport to develop real understanding of the sport and dedicated Passion.

There's some truth to that.

Looking at some of the comments on twitter when important snooker tournaments are on, you can tell they don't have any interest if they aren't playing in it.

I guess, if they do it for a living they might not want some downtime spent with their family or whatnot as well. Fine. But it's a bit weird when the semis of The Crucible is on and some players are tweeting like; "What's happening in the snooker? lol. #nandos "

Postby Sickpotter

Wildey wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:Imagination seems to be hardwired into people, they either are or aren't imaginative. Passion...I suppose that could develop from watching a enjoyable player but I think true passion for the game is held by players, not spectators. People are attracted to the game by watching other players but develop a passion for it by playing.

I disagree that you don't have to have played the sport to develop real understanding, attempts by some fans to rewrite the rules is ample evidence that simply watching isn't sufficient for true understanding. ;-)

I suppose you could develop a passion as a spectator but the passion we see from spectators these days isn't so much for the game as it is for particular players/styles.

In the past I would see spectators with a real passion for the game, they'd go to watch any snooker match, no matter who played or their style. Now it seems there are many who can't be bothered to watch the game if their favourite player isn't involved and many who simply see it as an opportunity to get their drink on.

Of course I don't get the opportunities that you do to see live events so my view on fans is a view of the armchair fans who're more likely to be passionate for a player/playing style than the game itself.

Postby Wildey

don't think that's right yes there are some fans that like particular players and support them but theres others that is in almost every session at the crucible or other venues watching all sort of styles and has become as famous as players over the years.

Monique is case in point she is obviously a big Ronnie O'Sullivan fan but shes either at every European Events taking pictures or shes helping out at Snooker.org very early in the morning updating scores from the Australian Open.

Question

Who is more Passionate about Snooker Dave Hendon or Stephen Hendry?

Hendry is more interested in watching Golf and eating than he is about Snooker.

Postby Andre147

Yeah fully agree Wild, I don't play much Snooker, in fact never managed a break above 27, so does that suddenly mean someone who has a break of 50 is more passionate about Snooker than me? rofl

I do agree though that you have at least to have tried to play on a Snooker table, even if it's just once, just to see how different and how much more difficult it is compared to a Pool table, but by no means do you need to be a good player to be more passionate about Snooker.

My favourite player will always be Ronnie, yet when he's knocked out or isn't present at tournaments I still very much enjoy watching, because I have lots of other players I love watching and first and foremost I'm a Snooker fan, not a 1 player fan.

Postby Sickpotter

I don't think you need to be a great player to understand the game but IMO one has to have played for some perspective.

Who's more passionate, Hendon or Hendry?

Interesting question....how does one compare fan passion to player passion? Can it be done?

I think we need to know the nature of their passion.

Hendry's passion was winning, not the beauty of the game. Hendon's passion is the game itself.

That Hendry rarely even watches snooker in his spare time is actually an indication on how passionate he was about winning, not an indication he lacks passion IMO.

Two different passions really, hard to compare one to the other.

Postby Wildey

Winning or Losing isn't the Issue its Passion for the game.

its easy to have passion if you make millions from the sport not so easy if you spend 2 Months Wages spending 17 days in Sheffield each year.

Postby Sickpotter

Wildey wrote:Winning or Losing isn't the Issue its Passion for the game.

its easy to have passion if you make millions from the sport not so easy if you spend 2 Months Wages spending 17 days in Sheffield each year.

Pretty sure most of those who've made millions from the sport started out broke and spent large amounts attending events.

Player passion might change from the game to money or winning, one will usually exhibit multiple different passions but all stem from a passion for the game.

Player passion for the game is more likely to wane than fan passion, 1000s of hours of practice can do that.

Interesting topic, should probably go to it's own thread....