Post a reply

How many more ranking events will John Higgins win?

7%
13%
7%
53%
7%
No votes
More
13%

Total votes : 15

Re: How many more ranking events will John Higgins win?

Postby Wildey

I Honestly hope none its increasingly becoming a old man's game these days (BTW John is 4 years younger than me).

I Want the likes of Zhou Yuelong, Jack Lisowski, Luca Brecel to start winning tournament consistently thats the future of the sport.

But i suspect 40+ will be winning them regularly and i think John has a few tournaments left in him because the standards of the youngsters is lacking when the chips are down.

Postby Andre147

I too agree with Wild's opinion, but just hope Ronnie is the only 40 something who keeps winning tournaments. :-D

I voted 3 more ranking titles for Higgins, it's just a wild guess of course but those 3 rankers I don't think none of them will be Majors like UK, IC and Worlds, not even Masters for that matter. OK it's good Higgins is still winning ranking events, but I really can't see him winning those Big ones anymore.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:I too agree with Wild's opinion, but just hope Ronnie is the only 40 something who keeps winning tournaments. :-D

I voted 3 more ranking titles for Higgins, it's just a wild guess of course but those 3 rankers I don't think none of them will be Majors like UK, IC and Worlds, not even Masters for that matter. OK it's good Higgins is still winning ranking events, but I really can't see him winning those Big ones anymore.

I didn't want a wild guess, I wanted you to use scientific reasoning. :grrr:

Postby Sickpotter

Wildey wrote:I Honestly hope none its increasingly becoming a old man's game these days (BTW John is 4 years younger than me).

I Want the likes of Zhou Yuelong, Jack Lisowski, Luca Brecel to start winning tournament consistently thats the future of the sport.

But i suspect 40+ will be winning them regularly and i think John has a few tournaments left in him because the standards of the youngsters is lacking when the chips are down.

IMO the young crop of players haven't developed a proper safety game or shot selection to allow them to compete against the seasoned players. Probably a direct result of trying to emulate the full out attack play of Hendry/ROS/Higgins/Williams without acknowledging that while appearing to be full attack, the 90's players had sublime safety as part of their arsenal.

I'm not going to hope the older players don't win, I'm going to hope the younger players learn and thus earn their move into the upper echelons.

Postby SnookerFan

Sickpotter wrote:I'm not going to hope the older players don't win, I'm going to hope the younger players learn and thus earn their move into the upper echelons.

All this talk of encouraging and promoting youth is commendable. But the youth need the ability to beat the old codgers. It's up to the young players to beat the older generation, and send them into retirement. It's not the older player's job to retire to make it easy for the youngsters. A player, of any age, needs to earn a title win.

Saying that, two of the old codgers we are talking about are Ronnie O'Sullivan and John Higgins. Two of the games all time greatest players. So, that's worth considering when we're complaining about the youngsters being unable to beat them.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:I Honestly hope none its increasingly becoming a old man's game these days (BTW John is 4 years younger than me).

I don't see that as an issue (just look at darts), I think it gives hope for the younger players knowing that they can expect a 20-30 year career out of this sport, and if they aren't winning at a young age they have plenty of scope to in the future.

Postby SnookerAnt

I hope he wins a few more but I'm not sure he will. I think that Higgin's issue is that his C game is very poor. There are countless matches that he has lost which he really should have won e.g. the McManus match at the WC.

I really feel that Higgins has under achieved. I think back to the spell in the early 2000s where he struggled for a few years and wonder what if

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerAnt wrote:I hope he wins a few more but I'm not sure he will.

Not so fast.

John Higgins has just won two tournaments on the bounce. Two non-ranking tournaments, but fairly prestigious wins non-the-less. They both featured top players playing for big money.

You can argue, I guess, that to win a ranker he has to keep his form across a tournament that features 128 players and not just specially selected top-16ers. But even so, I don't find it beyond comprehension that Higgins has at least one more ranker in him.

Postby Dan-cat

I think the older guys winning makes this sport more interesting and sets it apart from other sports. Why do sports have to be won by young people? Who says so? A strange ageism exists in society which I don't understand. If you have the skills, discipline and spirit to win, why should it matter how old your vessel (body) is? When I chat to an old lady, I don't see an old lady, I look in her eyes and see the young girl she once was - and inside, still is.

Snooker is an unusual sport. In snooker you play on just for points and glory and excellence, even when the current game is clearly won. What other sport is like this?

Postby TheSaviour

He´s certainly the form player right now. Nicely done yesterday, his 8th 147. "The Wizard of Wishaw" living up to his famous nickname. A week ago I had some idea what his nickname should be instead of that, but now I have already forgot what that name was. But so he should try to add some more now, because soon it will be too late. It´s not that he would be too old, or in any decline or so. It is just that the there´s so much quality out there. And mind you, only the really good players have won the UK, the Masters, or the Worlds. We can always discuss what type of players or what individual player would be even better than the other really good players are. But that discussion won´t progress. But it takes a really good player to win.

For example Kyren Wilson is yet to win the UK, the Masters, or the Worlds. Mark Selby.

Don´t know. But I am looking an intensive experience. Kyren certainly is a man to deliver it.

Was hooked up to watch the London classic. I thought Jimmy was even slightly better player, just as I thought that he would be. He was just slightly unlucky. I thought he landed too straight many times. It was just a matter of luck and he would had done it for Ronnie. Still nothing personally against Ronnie. Ronnie plays slightly different differently these days.