Post a reply

Willie Thorne going backrupt/suicide attempt

Postby Andre147

We all know his gambling habits is nothing new, in fact since retiring from the Sport, as this article clearly tells us, his gambling bad habits started.

But still of course it's very sad to hear this, especially from a man who wrote 3 suicide letters to his family. I can only wish Willie the best and that he recovers from this terrible phase in his life soon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sn ... ng-5709450

Re: Willie Thorne going backrupt/suicide attempt

Postby TheSaviour

Hopefully Willie will be okay. It really is funny how some people seems to underestimate a human conscience and a pride. A much of a human life is about finding a good balance between a good and a bad and so on. And it really is funny how some so called really brainy people seems to always underestimate some really talented people who has find that great balance. Like a good old George Best. Even if he looked a bit bohemian when he was a young man (and obviously drinked a way too much, which he did admitted also), he certainly was a one of those people who had found that balance. I would never say that all bullying and teasing would be bad. In fact, it looks like it does all the good for some people to receive a good old fashioned hidings. As long as it is does with a good taste. THE IRISH EYES ARE SMILING.... I find it amusing when these modern comedians try to make funny about people like George Best were. Who are not necessarly making a clear cut line between a good a bad. I find it amusing because when they are trying to imitate them and so on, it always is without even a slightest connection. The result is always a full failure. A miss. They can´t do that, it is beyond their abilities.

And mind you, let´s just hope that this current situation will go on and stay. You really don´t wan´t to see those so called a really brainy people changing their tactics and antics when it comes how they behave when on the run. They do have some brains, let´s put it in that way. So let´s just keep them on a check. A fingers crossed this current situation would be here to stay.

Postby SnookerFan

Shame for Willie, really. Gambling, like anything, needs to be done in moderation. And his addiction is ruining his life.

I drink a fair bit, so aint one to lecture about bad habits. It's sad to see somebody life spiral out of control this way.

Postby Andy Spark

At the moment the bottom line for Willie Thorne is not the debt or anything to do with finance, the bottom line is he needs to get good professional help for his mental illness and he needs to LISTEN to it. The debt can be managed after his mental health is looked at. I'm sure everyone here on Snooker Island wishes him well!

Postby AC or LT?

Andy Spark wrote:At the moment the bottom line for Willie Thorne is not the debt or anything to do with finance, the bottom line is he needs to get good professional help for his mental illness and he needs to LISTEN to it. The debt can be managed after his mental health is looked at. I'm sure everyone here on Snooker Island wishes him well!

What about the people around him who are out of pocket by tens, if not hundreds, of thousands pounds thanks to him lending it in the full knowledge he couldn't pay them back?

Postby Andy Spark

AC or LT? wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:At the moment the bottom line for Willie Thorne is not the debt or anything to do with finance, the bottom line is he needs to get good professional help for his mental illness and he needs to LISTEN to it. The debt can be managed after his mental health is looked at. I'm sure everyone here on Snooker Island wishes him well!

What about the people around him who are out of pocket by tens, if not hundreds, of thousands pounds thanks to him lending it in the full knowledge he couldn't pay them back?

What about them? If they gave him money in full knowledge that "he couldn't pay it back" then it isn't "lending". If they didn't have full knowledge then a reasonably diligent lender would have at least had some knowledge of his history, and so would have known his credit rating was very low.

Postby Clara8633

AC or LT? wrote:

Well it's not like he had any other choice.

Though it was very wrong that he got so addicted to gambling, I feel sorry for him and hope he finds a way through this.

Postby AC or LT?

Clara8633 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:

Well it's not like he had any other choice.

Though it was very wrong that he got so addicted to gambling, I feel sorry for him and hope he finds a way through this.

It stipulates in the article he lent the money with the intent to gamble it so always knew he couldn't pay it back. His choice was robbing from his mates or not gambling - as i said above - if you don't have don't spend it, if you can't pay it back next week don't lend it. Scream "he's an addict" until your blue in the face but it doesn't mitigate the fact he robbed the money.

Postby gallantrabbit

The environment Willie was brought up in was never going to help. A lot of us snooker players know the environment. Many of the clubs I played in were gamblers only after certain times. You wouldn't get a game if you weren't into backing yourself. It's a hard habit to break even if you've been slapped round the face with it a hundred times.
Also I've read a bit of his bio and Jimmy's too. You'll see that neither say they've quit gambling, but restrict themselves to smaller bets...recipe for disaster like the alcoholic who 'just fancies the one...'
Hope the great WT can pull through and look at all the positives of the life he could have away from all the nonsense.

Postby Andy Spark

gallantrabbit wrote:The environment Willie was brought up in was never going to help. A lot of us snooker players know the environment.

...and of course, world snooker are encouraging all this crap with all their sponsorship deals with the gambling companies. Betfred, Betfair, dafabet, "Bet this, "Bet that" :irk: World snooker are not completely blameless for a chain of events that ends like this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSmnfWwz6tY

Postby Sickpotter

Andy Spark wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:The environment Willie was brought up in was never going to help. A lot of us snooker players know the environment.

...and of course, world snooker are encouraging all this crap with all their sponsorship deals with the gambling companies. Betfred, Betfair, dafabet, "Bet this, "Bet that" :irk: World snooker are not completely blameless for a chain of events that ends like this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSmnfWwz6tY

I completely disagree with you that WS bears some responsibility.

When did World Snooker become in charge of managing our personal lives?

If a car maker decided to sponsor is it the fault of WS if people use the car in an irresponsible manner?

Personal responsibility is too often fluffed off these days, it's always someone else's fault. :roll:

I feel bad for Willie but I won't suggest his situation is the fault of WS.

Postby Andy Spark

Well, the Government thought that tobacco advertising was so unethical they made it illegal.

You compare gambling advertisements with car advertising, but the big difference is that there is a real need for cars in society. It is true that WS are not in charge of managing our personal lives, but as a company they are in charge of managing the image of snooker. They've tarnished the image of snooker over the years by associating it with smoking and gambling.

Snooker is a clean, tidy sport, the players wear bow ties and it is gentlemanly; we are losing all the advantages this brings by dragging it round the gutter.

Postby Sickpotter

Everything in moderation and I'll be the judge of what I can handle.

I've had enough of people expecting the government to protect them from themselves by banning their vices.

Humanity has vices, it's in our nature. With gambling it's even worse because are brains are hardwired to think the next spin/bet/etc. will be the winner. That by the way is really an interesting phenomenon, some very interesting studies out there.

Accept that you have a weakness and do what you need to to manage it. Don't blame others when you fall prey to your vices, accept personal responsibility in your life.

Snooker is simply a sport people can bet on like so many others. How tarnished are the images of the other sports because of the association/sponsorship with gambling?

Personally I don't give a crap who sponsors the sport as long as it allows the sport to flourish. I'd have no issue with cigarette sponsorship had it been allowed to continue.

Postby Wildey

The thing is by banning tobacco sponsorship it means they make more money.

for the life of me i cant understand why giving Ronnie, Selby or Bingham £300,000 out of cash they got will encourage more smokers.

Tobacco sponsorship finished 10 years ago ive seen kids 11 or 12 smoking only last week so it hasent work and it was never going to work.

Postby hendry_fan

Reading this brought some tears to my eyes.

I can understand Willie,as i had an addiction myself which also went on for many years.

I was addicted to fruit machines,i,m not gonna go into details bout it though,as this is about Willie Thorne.

All i,d really like to say on the matter is,....

I,ve been clean for many years now,i hope he destroys his addiction too.

It,s high time this that he gets it sorted out ONCE AND FOR ALL!.

<ok> I wish him the best of luck!. <ok>

Postby gallantrabbit

Good on you Hendry fan for beating it. Must have been tough. However I bet you don't touch the fruitys at all. You cannot dabble. Either it is total abstinence from any addiction or you're back hooked unfortunately...
I also don't agree that the WS has any responsibility here. I'm sure even WT would say that. He's big enough and ugly enough to have nade his own decisions. Hopefully he'll start making good ones now.

Postby hendry_fan

gallantrabbit wrote:Good on you Hendry fan for beating it. Must have been tough. However I bet you don't touch the fruitys at all. You cannot dabble. Either it is total abstinence from any addiction or you're back hooked unfortunately...
I also don't agree that the WS has any responsibility here. I'm sure even WT would say that. He's big enough and ugly enough to have nade his own decisions. Hopefully he'll start making good ones now.

Thanks guys!. <ok>

Yep,it was very tough,just like most,if not all addictions are.

I wrote that i was,nt gonna go into details about it,but you,re 100% correct,especially about me not touchin the fruitys at all anymore and the "Either it is total abstinence from any addiction or you're back hooked unfortunately...".

The only real way to fully stop an addiction,is indeed to FULLY STOP it,but as with many things,it,s way easier said than done,playing,or doing it now and again,just did,nt/does,nt work,at least for me and i,m sure for most others it did,nt/does,nt.

Willes got to FULLY STOP too,even a few small,casual bets here,a few small,casual bets there just aint good enough i,m afraid,it just won,t,work,he,s got to STOP,FULL STOP,cause if he does,nt something really bad will happen.

COME ON WILLIE,ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!,please STOP once and for all,before it really is toooo late!. :peace: