Post a reply

Re: World Championship Final : Shaun Murphy v Stuart Bingham

Postby Skullman

Andre147 wrote:Bingham, a bit like Selby, might need some time to adapt to beinf the new World Champion. Selby said in the first half of season he felt he always needed to play well as WC, and I think something similar might happen with Stuart.

Hopefully he can settle fairly quick.

Selby just takes time to adjust to everything. Becoming WN1 for the first, winning 2/3 of the Triple crown, becoming WC...

Postby Souvent

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Next season will be interesting. After last year's Worlds it seemed like a four-way dominance between Selby, ROS, Robbo and Ding would happen, but obviously that hasn't worked out. Be exciting to see how it pans out.

Ding was completely gone, Selby didn't do anything before February, Ronnie didn't do anything after February and Robbo had a few highlights but also lots of lows. It's very well balanced and I expect the same next season with Bingo being now a main contender for every tournament as well.

Bingham, a bit like Selby, might need some time to adapt to beinf the new World Champion. Selby said in the first half of season he felt he always needed to play well as WC, and I think something similar might happen with Stuart.

Hopefully he can settle fairly quick.

In one of his interviews he said he might even retire. I don't know if it was tongue in cheek but he has nothing left to prove in the game. I mean, he's not a predator like Hendry and he's probably not going to become one in his 40's.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:Bingham has shown though that one good run could be enough to win this title. He hadn't even reached the semi before and that's why I believe that Ding will definitely win it in the future.

Not next year, but within the next 5, for sure.

Postby Skullman

Souvent wrote:In one of his interviews he said he might even retire. I don't know if it was tongue in cheek but he has nothing left to prove in the game. I mean, he's not a predator like Hendry and he's probably not going to become one in his 40's.

Doubt he'll retire. He loves playing too much. Unless he retires and terrorises the local league rofl

Postby Gnomy

Skullman wrote:
Souvent wrote:In one of his interviews he said he might even retire. I don't know if it was tongue in cheek but he has nothing left to prove in the game. I mean, he's not a predator like Hendry and he's probably not going to become one in his 40's.

Doubt he'll retire. He loves playing too much. Unless he retires and terrorises the local league rofl

Haha, no one is going to ever take him lightly any more, lol.

Postby Jester82

Andre147 wrote:
Jester82 wrote:That Telegraph scribbler can stick his article up his ....

Great final!

Was that the article that said Snooker shouldn't be on TV or something like that?

Yeah, that rubbish! I think the final proved wrong...by galaxies...

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie whitewashed our new world champ in the World Grand Prix :bowdown: <laugh>

And also thrashed him 13-4 in 2013 here so that's a positive. <laugh>

In all fairness, Stu truly deserves not only for the players he had to beat, but for everything he brings to he game. The man has played in about 120 matches this season!!!!!

Burnout <laugh>

Postby Andre147

Think I'll make a big review of the tournamen tomorrow, but just to say what impressed me the most in Stuart this 2 weeks was his temperament and sheer bottle.

Like Matt from PSB says on Twitter, Stu had so many chances to bottle it, namely against Ronnie after being 8-8 and 9-8 down, against Trump from 16-14 to 16-16, and against Murphy from 8-4 down.

But no when he faced adversity, he played even better and showed tremendous bottle and will to win, a true mark of a World Champion. :hatoff:

Postby Souvent

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ronnie whitewashed our new world champ in the World Grand Prix :bowdown: <laugh>

And also thrashed him 13-4 in 2013 here so that's a positive. <laugh>

In all fairness, Stu truly deserves not only for the players he had to beat, but for everything he brings to he game. The man has played in about 120 matches this season!!!!!

Burnout <laugh>

And he's not even among the fittest players on tour.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

TheRocket wrote:Bingham has shown though that one good run could be enough to win this title. He hadn't even reached the semi before and that's why I believe that Ding will definitely win it in the future.

The difference is that Bingham was never considered a future World Champion and could come in under the radar. Once he beat Ronnie everything else was seen as a bonus. The likes of Ding and Trump have far greater expectations around them and the pressure on them is much greater.

Postby Roland

Snooker Overdrive wrote:How can Stuart Bingham play so well in his late 30s? He's turning 39 this month. Higgins, MJW and Hendry started twitching way before that age. Is the classic decline model outdated?

Experience. You never stop learning at snooker no matter how old you are

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:

Bingham will play on until they Drag him off to the retirement home.

Bingham will play at whatever level he plays at Hendry was never going to stay unless he was at the top possibly he could have stayed ranked in the top 32 for a long time way in to his 40s.

Postby Skullman

Clearly. Potting balls aside, didn't think he had it mentally after seeing him collapse in the UK semi five months ago, but I suppose he's had years less experience at the top than most of the other top players, who've been around for ages.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:Think I'll make a big review of the tournamen tomorrow, but just to say what impressed me the most in Stuart this 2 weeks was his temperament and sheer bottle.

Like Matt from PSB says on Twitter, Stu had so many chances to bottle it, namely against Ronnie after being 8-8 and 9-8 down, against Trump from 16-14 to 16-16, and against Murphy from 8-4 down.

But no when he faced adversity, he played even better and showed tremendous bottle and will to win, a true mark of a World Champion. :hatoff:

Absolutely.

Ronnie started with back to back centuries and lost the first session 5-3. And after Ronnie looked good again after that horrible second session and leading 9-8, Bingo just outplayed and steamrolled him.

Trump was in the form of his life and humiliated Ding in the last 16 but Bingo was rock solid in that match and forced mistakes from Judd. And that stroke of genius in the decider :bowdown:

Murphy had the much easier route to the final and was potting everything but Bingo also had an answer. His response after being 8-4 down was just astonishing. Shaun didn't know what hit him.

What a journey to win his World Title.

Postby Skullman

Cloud Strife wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:Ya but usually players dont win a first world title at 38 these days. 3rd oldest winner at the cruci.

Is he the oldest first time winner?

Walter Donaldson was older in 1947, 40 year. Also, technically, Horace Lindrum in 1952 (same age as Donadson), but not everyone counts that one.