Post a reply

UK Championship experiences?

Postby simplysnooker

Good afternoon guys. I'm thinking of going to the UK Championship this year and was hoping to find out from those that have been what it's like?

Re: UK Championship experiences?

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Well it used to be good!

rofl

My opinion would be useless, the only times I went, it was in Telford and had proper matches. Even though the town/venue were pretty crap, I used to enjoy it.

Roland would be the man to ask. He lives up there, and is always in York for it.

Postby AC or LT?

simplysnooker wrote:Good afternoon guys. I'm thinking of going to the UK Championship this year and was hoping to find out from those that have been what it's like?

Whilst I'm not Roland I've been down for a couple of days each time for the last 2 years. The caveat here being I've went during the four table stages (L128/L64). If you get excited by Best of 11s and are able to cope with the busy atmosphere it's fine. The last 128 matches are in the main woefully one-sided which can be a bit disheartening, the main arena is far superior to "the kitchen" (sports hall), the balcony gives you a nice overview of the whole tables while if you're to see a specific match you'd be better off in the bottom section. First Saturday/Sunday would be my recommended day to go - you get relatively cheap tickets with slightly better matches as the L64 is kicking off. Venue prices can be a bit OTT, like anywhere but all in all it's a nice experience. Roland will be able to fill you in much better on the later stages.

Postby simplysnooker

Thanks for the responses. Am currently based in East Anglia so closest tournament for me is the Masters and have been there a few times, but am looking to do a few days at a different one. Think I'll do a few days at the UK this year then next step, sort out a trip to the Crucible!

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:If ANY tournament is being played reasonably close to where you are then you should go.
No more details needed :roll:

You tell them. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

simplysnooker wrote:Thanks for the responses. Am currently based in East Anglia so closest tournament for me is the Masters and have been there a few times, but am looking to do a few days at a different one. Think I'll do a few days at the UK this year then next step, sort out a trip to the Crucible!

Go to The Crucible, if you can.

The Ally Pally is a fairly rubbish venue. Wembley Arena wasn't all that either.

The Crucible craps all over them in terms of atmosphere.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

SnookerFan wrote:
simplysnooker wrote:Thanks for the responses. Am currently based in East Anglia so closest tournament for me is the Masters and have been there a few times, but am looking to do a few days at a different one. Think I'll do a few days at the UK this year then next step, sort out a trip to the Crucible!

Go to The Crucible, if you can.

The Ally Pally is a fairly rubbish venue. Wembley Arena wasn't all that either.

The Crucible craps all over them in terms of atmosphere.

How much are tickets for the crucible? I say I'm gonna go every year. Maybe next year... Is accommodation pricey at the time?

Postby SnookerFan

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
How much are tickets for the crucible? I say I'm gonna go every year. Maybe next year... Is accommodation pricey at the time?

Depends when you go. You can get tickets for £10 or £20 for opening round sessions. (Even they vary, depending on whether it's afternoon or evening.)

Accommodation is scandalous. I got £300 for four nights staying this year, but I saw some hotels where it was more than £500 for the same times.

If price is a factor, the Premier Inn is probably the cheapest. I think Jurys Inn has some offers on, but you need to get in quick. And I've never stayed so can't vouch for quality.

If you can afford to go at all, even for one session, do. It's the best atmosphere at a sporting event I've ever been to. Just a must.