Post a reply

The decies through the crystal ball

Postby Tubberlad

The noughties are over, and our attention turns to the decies (I think that's what they'll be called?). It's an exciting time, as we can't possibly predict what the next ten years holds...but I'll have a go. Don't take these too seriously...

2010: Ronnie O'Sullivan 18-16 John Higgins
A fitting start to the decade, as the two best players of the last ten years face off to effectively decide which one was better. Higgins looked all dominant on day one, leading 10-6 overnight and playing the better snooker by a long way. The third session was evenly matched, but as Higgins missed a crucial red in the 24th frame, it would prove to be the turning point. O'Sullivan took 6 of the first 8 frames of the evening session to level the game at 16-16, and he finished in style. A century in the 34th frame put him ahead for the first time, and he finished up with a record 10th competitive maximum break. O'Sullivan was the winner of the best World Final seen for years.

2011: Ding Junhui 18-14 Neil Robertson
The two dominant players of the year faced off in the final at the Crucible, after they knocked out O'Sullivan and Higgins respectively in the semi-final (a change in hand of snooker dominance). Ding was on fire on the opening day, taking an impressive 12-4 lead with three centuries, but looked shakey on day two. His lead was reduced to 15-9 after three sessions, and Robertson pulled it back to 16-14, with the momentum now firmly in the Aussie's favour. Ding produced an amazing clearance in the next however when it looked like Robertson had done enough, and came out on top in a scrappy final frame. China's first World Champion.

2012: Shaun Murphy 18-17 Neil Robertson
A brilliant Neil Robertson fightback was not enough to stop Shaun Murphy claiming his second World Title, although he surely caused a fright. Murphy led 10-6 overnight, and stretched his advantage to 16-8 with one session to play. Robertson played some magical snooker from there however, taking nine frames without reply. Murphy stayed calm however, fought back in a tight 34th frame, before a cool 78 wrapped up the title. Robertson was understandably gutted.

2013: Neil Robertson 18-12 Mark Selby
A case of third time luck for the Australian. In truth, he was always in control of this one, and Selby never really showed up. Robertson won all three of the first three sessions 5-3, and shared the last six frames to finally take the World Title.

2014: Ding Junhui 18-6 Stephen Maguire
The brilliant Chinaman opened with a break of 142, and it was a sign of things to come. He raced into a 10-1 lead with five centuries, and Maguire's temper flared up, throwing his chalk into the audience and biting off his tip. After a 20 minute break for Maguire to regain his composure, the match restarted, but Ding was still too good. He compiled only the second ever maximum break in a World Final to go 17-6 ahead, and wrapped up the last with a 120.

2015: Mark Selby 18-10 Stephen Maguire
The Scot led this one 9-7, but completely blew it from there. It was a remarkable second day of snooker. The first four frames went down to the black, with Selby taking each one. Maguire was distraught, and couldn't find a way back. Without playing brilliantly, Selby took 7 of the next 8 frames. Maguire retired afterwards, claiming he was fed up with snooker.

2016: Ding Junhui 18-16 Neil Robertson
Possibly the most evenly matched final ever seen. Three centuries apiece. 4-4, 8-8 and 12-12 at the end of the first three sessions. The only time a player went two up was at the very end. Robertson led this match 6 times, Ding 5 times, but crucially it was the Chinaman that came out on top in a pulsating match. He wrapped it up with a superb 98.

2017: Neil Robertson 18-11 Judd Trump
Judd Trump was given a harsh lesson in handling the big occasion by the world number one. Robertson compiled four centuries on the opening day, claiming a deserved 11-5 lead. Trump fought back admirably, and did well to get it to 10-14, but Robertson was awesome in closing out the game. Two more centuries gave him an impressive 18-11 win.

2018: Judd Trump 18-13 Luca Brecel
23 year old Luca Brecel was hoping to add the World Championship to the UK title he had won earlier in the year. Sadly for the Belgian, it wasn't to be, and Bristol's Judd Trump finally lived up to his potential. Brecel took an early 5-3 lead, before the Englishman stepped it up. He moved 13-11 ahead after the third session, and looked composed as he won out 18-13. The People's Champion lifted the trophy in front of his adoring fans at the Crucible.

2019: Ding Junhui 18-3 Liang Wenbo
After losing 6 semi-finals during the decade, Liang Wenbo finally made it to the decider. He was to be humiliated by his fellow counryman. Ding's reputation as arguably the best player of all time was underlined with this crushing performance. He led 14-2 overnight with 6 centuries, and added two more the following day in the shortest World Final on record. Liang proclaimed Ding as 'the greatest ever'.

Re: The decies through the crystal ball

Postby Bourne

It would be great to have an O'Sullivan vs Higgins final in Sheffield next year though, is that possible, I haven''t checked the dtaw ?

Postby Bourne

thetubberlad wrote:It's very possible. Higgins is seeded number one as reigning champion, while O'Sullivan is seeded second.

<ok>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote::chin: If these all end up being right, i'll give you the money myself.

What? I've already been down Ladbrokes and put my life savings on.

Ive got a few cardboard boxes you can have <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote::chin: If these all end up being right, i'll give you the money myself.

What? I've already been down Ladbrokes and put my life savings on.

Ive got a few cardboard boxes you can have <laugh>

You'll see me drinking Special Brew at the end of your road in a couple months.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:It would be great to have an O'Sullivan vs Higgins final in Sheffield next year though, is that possible, I haven''t checked the dtaw ?

What's a dtaw?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

You'd think by luck at least one predicted winner would have been right. Trump was a finalist six years earlier than Tubberlad predicted but never pushed on.

Dan-cat wrote:He didn't have much faith in Ronnie post 2010!

Or Higgins.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:He didn't have much faith in Ronnie post 2010!

lets be honest Ronnie threatned to retire every year from 1994 to 2010