Post a reply

Major lack of characters/stars so far?

Postby dale or swail

The first 2 days have been very low-key and quite dull. I know there haven't been many characters about for some years but it seems really bad this year. The 2 main stars of the sport O'sullivan and Trump not playing so far has not helped. Even as a big snooker fan I fail to get excited by Hawkins/Selt or Dott/Walden. Luckily a couple of close finishes have added a little interest but overall for me it has been disappointing.

Re: Major lack of characters/stars so far?

Postby Dan-cat

I don't know what tournament you've been watching, but the two matches I've seen - Selbs/Mafo and Mags/Ant McPants were full of drama, points of interest, fun, frustration, cue bangs, killer breaks and exciting safety.

Shame that this marmite got posted to the Snooker Island Twitter account

Postby Cloud Strife

sundaygirl wrote:I'm sensing some bitterness that neither Swail or Dale made it through qualifying

If it is dull, Swail or Dale being there wouldn't have helped all that much.

Postby armchair de critique

dale or swail wrote:The first 2 days have been very low-key and quite dull. I know there haven't been many characters about for some years but it seems really bad this year. The 2 main stars of the sport O'sullivan and Trump not playing so far has not helped. Even as a big snooker fan I fail to get excited by Hawkins/Selt or Dott/Walden. Luckily a couple of close finishes have added a little interest but overall for me it has been disappointing.

sorry snooker is not for you then, the tournie has been superb entertainment <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

davisfan wrote:That isn't being a character. That's being unsporting and undignified.

Apparently, Selby was under a lot of pressure in that match.....which gives him the right to behave as he wants according to some people. :gag:

It was also abit presumptuous, I thought. What if he had missed the next shot and Maflin had wanted to play on for snookers, as Selby himself would surely have done in that situation?

Postby Clara8633

Cloud Strife wrote:
davisfan wrote:That isn't being a character. That's being unsporting and undignified.

Apparently, Selby was under a lot of pressure in that match.....which gives him the right to behave as he wants according to some people. :gag:

It was also abit presumptuous, I thought. What if he had missed the next shot and Maflin had wanted to play on for snookers, as Selby himself would surely have done in that situation?

I don't think there was anything wrong with it. I would stick to this opinion even if it was someone I didn't like.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:I love it when snooker stars show emotion. I just don't get that it's disrespectful to the opponent. That fire, that passion on display. What's not to like?

Tennis players do that kind of emotion after winning a point ffs... Tennis players must be the most disrespecful human beings then rofl <doh>

Like you say, it shows their passion and letting go of their emotions they contained for the whole match.

Postby davisfan

Not the whole match... that's kinda the point.

Giving it the big 'un before the match has technically finished is just not cool. Your opponent has been through the mill just the same as you, he's dealing right there and then with the emotions of defeat, and he deserves better than to have it rubbed in with "CMON!!!" or whatever. Stay cool until the ref calls it, at least.

Postby SnookerFan

dale or swail wrote:The first 2 days have been very low-key and quite dull. I know there haven't been many characters about for some years but it seems really bad this year. The 2 main stars of the sport O'sullivan and Trump not playing so far has not helped. Even as a big snooker fan I fail to get excited by Hawkins/Selt or Dott/Walden. Luckily a couple of close finishes have added a little interest but overall for me it has been disappointing.

So you saw Selby vs Maflin, Hawkins vs Selt and Maguire vs McGill, and decided that these matches were too boring?

<doh>