Post a reply

Re: Are we all looking forward to these....

Postby snooky147

You are all very easily pleased. nonsense content and useless trivia from out of date ex players. Some substance needed not a bloody puppet doing interviews.

Postby Pink Ball

snooky147 wrote:You are all very easily pleased. nonsense content and useless trivia from out of date ex players. Some substance needed not a bloody puppet doing interviews.

I don't think it looks very good for snooker that the BBC persist with this crap. No other sports broadcaster is as demeaning as that to the sport they are showing. You'd never see ITV4 doing a piece on what snooker players like to get at the deli.

Postby SnookerFan

snooky147 wrote:You are all very easily pleased. nonsense content and useless trivia from out of date ex players. Some substance needed not a bloody puppet doing interviews.

Sarcasm is lost on you, isn't it? <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

I don't think it looks very good for snooker that the BBC persist with this crap. No other sports broadcaster is as demeaning as that to the sport they are showing. You'd never see ITV4 doing a piece on what snooker players like to get at the deli.

The BBC don't get the balance right, that's the problem.

I don't mind a few "fun features", where you get to know the players. But not all the time. The BBC use these features to disguise the fact that they don't know anything about a player. Also, they repeat them all. So if you've seen Hazel Irvine interview a player at home, you've seen her do it at every tournament for the past two years. (Did you know she plays the piano? Shaun Murphy didn't.) :zzz:

Also, and this is a must, now matter how fun a feature is, it's not more fun than live play. If there's a choice between live play, or one of your excellent features, we want play. No exceptions.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 15 Apr 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby armchair de critique

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

The BBC don't get the balance right, that's the problem.

I don't mind a few "fun features", where you get to know the players. But not all the time. The BBC use these features to disguise the fact that they don't know anything about a player. Also, they repeat them all. So if you've seen Hazel Irvine interview a player at home, you've seen her do it at every tournament for the past two years. (Did you know she plays the piano, Shaun Murphy didn't.) :zzz:

Also, and this is a must, now matter how fun a feature is, it's not more fun than live play. If there's a choice between live play, or one of your excellent features, we want play. No exceptions.

That's a fine post :D :hatoff:

I shall watch this years champs via Eurosport - no features, no bull, no Taylor/Thorne. :D

Postby SnookerFan

My main gripe is when they admit to having no knowledge of a player. They should know about a player, they're expert pundits. Why are they not watching any snooker, if it's not on the BBC?

I don't watch tennis, but I can't imagine the commentators sit around during matches going; "Well, I don't know who this bloke that Andy Murray is playing is...."

Why do it in snooker?

Postby armchair de critique

SnookerFan wrote:My main gripe is when they admit to having no knowledge of a player. They should know about a player, they're expert pundits. Why are they not watching any snooker, if it's not on the BBC?

I don't watch tennis, but I can't imagine the commentators sit around during matches going; "Well, I don't know who this bloke that Andy Murray is playing is...."

Why do it in snooker?

exactly, they almost look down (or dismiss as irrelevant) on any tournie that is not covered by the BBC....especially the China/European events

Postby Pink Ball

armchair de critique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:My main gripe is when they admit to having no knowledge of a player. They should know about a player, they're expert pundits. Why are they not watching any snooker, if it's not on the BBC?

Why do it in snooker?

exactly, they almost look down (or dismiss as irrelevant) on any tournie that is not covered by the BBC....especially the China/European events

I remember when Trump was playing Robertson in the first round in 2011, they were making a series of outdated comments about Trump, and clearly saw him as a non-threat to Robertson. They continuously dismissed his safety game.

This was after winning the China Open weeks previously with a vastly improved safety game. They clearly hadn't followed it very closely. Also, how come they know nothing about Crucible debutantes, when I would know quite a bit about them from watching streams. I want commentary from people who know what they're talking about.

Postby snooky147

SnookerFan wrote:

Sarcasm is lost on you, isn't it? <laugh>

To be fair I was under pressure lol. :emb:

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

I remember when Trump was playing Robertson in the first round in 2011, they were making a series of outdated comments about Trump, and clearly saw him as a non-threat to Robertson. They continuously dismissed his safety game.

This was after winning the China Open weeks previously with a vastly improved safety game. They clearly hadn't followed it very closely. Also, how come they know nothing about Crucible debutantes, when I would know quite a bit about them from watching streams. I want commentary from people who know what they're talking about.[/quote]

Spot on.

The Trump analysis at the World Championship that year was clownish. Yes, Trump's win in China was something of a surprise. But anybody who'd watched it knew how well he was playing. The BBC, to a person, didn't have a clue.

Even worse, they knew he had won in China, as they mentioned it. But shrugged it off as almost nothing. As if nobody else had been trying in China, or that it didn't matter as it wasn't on the BBC. Their opinions, and their pleasant surprise at Judd's form, had been experienced by any fans who'd been watching on Eurosport a few weeks previously. In that case the fans knew more than the people who were being paid to explain it to us.

As said, I hate tennis personally, but I can't imagine that the BBC would admit so openly that they didn't know what they were talking about when Wimbledon is on. Why do it when the most important tournament in the snooker calender is on?

Postby snooky147

Somebody should send this thread to the BBC. Not that it would do any good. I am resigned to watching with the sound muted unless Neal Fouls is commentating. I simply cannot listen to Virgo or Taylor anymore, I know exactly what they are going to say and they bore the life out of me. And god forbid I hope Eurosport dont employ Yates or that will get muted as well. Fountain of knowledge yes, but he can't actually commentate. Oh and dont forget going back to the BBC, KEN Tirtytree Docherty. Why they employ someone who cant speak is beyond me.
Umm rant over

Postby Cloud Strife

snooky147 wrote:Somebody should send this thread to the BBC. Not that it would do any good. I am resigned to watching with the sound muted unless Neal Fouls is commentating. I simply cannot listen to Virgo or Taylor anymore, I know exactly what they are going to say and they bore the life out of me. And god forbid I hope Eurosport dont employ Yates or that will get muted as well. Fountain of knowledge yes, but he can't actually commentate. Oh and dont forget going back to the BBC, KEN Tirtytree Docherty. Why they employ someone who cant speak is beyond me.
Umm rant over

Racist. :td:

Postby snooky147

Cloud Strife wrote:
snooky147 wrote:Somebody should send this thread to the BBC. Not that it would do any good. I am resigned to watching with the sound muted unless Neal Fouls is commentating. I simply cannot listen to Virgo or Taylor anymore, I know exactly what they are going to say and they bore the life out of me. And god forbid I hope Eurosport dont employ Yates or that will get muted as well. Fountain of knowledge yes, but he can't actually commentate. Oh and dont forget going back to the BBC, KEN Tirtytree Docherty. Why they employ someone who cant speak is beyond me.
Umm rant over

Racist. :td:

Not at all, I have nothing whatsoever against him or his country, but I like to understand those who are commentating, nothing racist in that.

Postby Pink Ball

Umm rant over

Doherty has a different accent. The Dublin brogue is not one of my favourites personally, but to say he can't talk is ridiculous. He's far more likeable and intelligent than 99% of those working on the BBC's snooker currently.

Go team Ireland.

Postby snooky147

Well its still not racist. I have no doubt no one would understand my Glasgow accent so I wouldn't dream of putting myself in the position to speak on TV. Good on him for doing it But I for one cannot understand him.

Postby Skullman

Umm rant over

Foulds will be working for ES. Shame Angles qualified again because he did some work for ES as well until he started winning again regularly.

Postby snooky147

SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Blame the people showing up with "Where's the Cueball going?" t-shirts. It only encourages them.

Erm.... Yeah! :emb:

I do own one of those T-Shirts.

Might have known.

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:I don't get you all I much prefer funny old snooker legends to boring nobodies commentating. And there's nothing wrong with those features.

Come on, those Pro File ones are seriously twiddle.

I can forgive the pub quiz slightly, though it did come across as more fun for the participants than the viewers.

But for bucks sake, Davis and Hendry going; "Consistency", "Cue Ball Control", "Ability to hit a red quarter ball", whilst waving their hands round like muppets.... It's just so naff.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
kolompar wrote:I don't get you all I much prefer funny old snooker legends to boring nobodies commentating. And there's nothing wrong with those features.

I can forgive the pub quiz slightly, though it did come across as more fun for the participants than the viewers.

But for bucks sake, Davis and Hendry going; "Consistency", "Cue Ball Control", "Ability to hit a red quarter ball", whilst waving their hands round like muppets.... It's just so naff.

pmsl

Postby kolompar

SnookerFan wrote:

They at least tried something. I appreciate the effort :-D