Topic locked

Betfred World Championship Qualifying Rnd 1 (April 8th-11th)

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 8th of April ~ Saturday 11th of April at the Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield

Round 1 sees 100 Main Tour professionals, 26 Amateur players from Bulgaria, Brazil, Belgium, Latvia, Singapore, Isle of Man and of course the UK compete as well as Steve Davis and James Wattana who has had invites for all Ranking Events this season.

For the likes of Graeme Dott, Peter Ebdon and Ken Doherty who have all graced the World Final 3 times apiece its a mountain to climb to get back there having to win 30 frames. Last year both Ebdon and Dott failed to qualify having to win 1 match.

And its great to see Hossein Vafaei Ayouri having the opportunity to at last start his professional Career.

Who will reach Round 2 and still in the Hunt for Glory?

DRAW

Selected 1st Round Matches
Michael White v Steven Hallworth
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Barry Pinches
Jamie Burnett v Alex Borg
Anthony McGill v Hossein Vafaei Ayouri
Martin Gould v Adam Duffy
Sam Baird v Tony Drago
Rory McLeod v Tian Pengfei
Jamie Jones v Ashley Carty
Alan McManus v Michael Wasley
Ryan Day v Jamie Rhys Clarke
Jack Lisowski v Allan Taylor
Gary Wilson v Eden Sharav
Peter Ebdon v Lu Ning
Ben Woollaston v Sean O'Sullivan
Robin Hull v Martin McCrudden
Nigel Bond v Igor Figueiredo
Mark Davis v Joe O'Connor
Ken Doherty v Reanne Evans
Dominic Dale v John Astley
Jamie Cope v Steve Davis
Kurt Mafflin v David Grace
Anthony Hamilton v Zhang Anda
Xiao Guodong v Ong Jia Jun
Liam Highfield v Oliver Brown
Kyren Wilson v T Thirapongpaiboon
Dechawat Poomjaeng v Daniel Wells
Robbie Williams v Lee Page
Noppon Saengkham v Lukas Kleckers
Michael Holt v Sydney Wilson
Jimmy White v James Wattana
Tom Ford v Andrew Norman
David Gilbert v George Pragnell
Luca Brecel v Saqib Nasir
Andrew Higginson v Scott Donaldson

Players in Bold appeared at the Crucible in 2014

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Betfred World Championship Qualifying Rnd 1 (April 8th-1

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 8th of April

10am and 7pm

Michael White v Steven Hallworth streaming
Craig Steadman v Rhys Clark
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Barry Pinches
Mark King v Michael Leslie
Cao Yupeng v Ross Muir
Anthony McGill v Hossein Vafaei Ayouri
Martin Gould v Adam Duffy streaming
Rory McLeod v Tian Pengfei
Jamie Jones v Ashley Carty
Gerard Greene v Elliot Slessor
Alfie Burden v Mitchell Mann

2.30pm

Lyu Haotian v Andrew Pagett
Alan McManus v Michael Wasley
Ryan Day v Jamie Rhys Clarke streaming
Alex Davies v Michael Georgiou
Aditya Mehta v Jak Jones
Jack Lisowski v Allan Taylor
Li Hang v Chris Melling
Stuart Carrington v Joel Walker
Peter Ebdon v Lu Ning streaming
Ben Woollaston v Sean O'Sullivan

Postby Skullman

That's a problem with this flat qualifying I suppose. Instead of seeing some close matches between mid-ranked pros and possibly a couple of young guns facing each other, we'll get the better qualifiers on streams against players who probably won't bother them.

Postby midnightoracle

Vodkadiet Michael White is the only qualifier I can see causing damage and he's got 3 matches to play to qualify. I don't see anyone else from the qualifiers who I think will make it to the quarters. Of course there is always at least one player who goes on a good run.

On a side note I don't like this format. It's appalling that world no.17 (and 16 for that matter due to carters frozen ranking) have to play 3 matches to qualify. Especially where no.15 goes straight to the venue. It make no sense. The qualifiers should be staggered like previously.

The players have had all season and plenty of flat 128 draws to perform. A top 32 players has done more all season than 115 in the world and shouldn't be in the same position re qualifying.

Postby Pink Ball

Contenders: Selby, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Murphy, Trump

Talk of a curse is nonsense, but the world title is very difficult to defend. For that reason, I don't think it will be Selby. Ronnie is looking a bit like his old self again, which is not a good thing. Murphy has improved dramatically in a year, he always seemed so naïve, but he has become a much better all round player. Trump is favourite though, for me. I think it's his time.

I don't trust Ding's crucible record. I think Robertson has been pretty patchy this year. Nobody else figures for me.

Postby vodkadiet

midnightoracle wrote:Vodkadiet Michael White is the only qualifier I can see causing damage and he's got 3 matches to play to qualify. I don't see anyone else from the qualifiers who I think will make it to the quarters. Of course there is always at least one player who goes on a good run.

On a side note I don't like this format. It's appalling that world no.17 (and 16 for that matter due to carters frozen ranking) have to play 3 matches to qualify. Especially where no.15 goes straight to the venue. It make no sense. The qualifiers should be staggered like previously.

The players have had all season and plenty of flat 128 draws to perform. A top 32 players has done more all season than 115 in the world and shouldn't be in the same position re qualifying.

I agree MidnightOracle. The qualification system needs improving. I also think Carter's ranking should not have been protected. That seemed a sympathy gesture too far.

There are a few sections of the draw that look weak and where a qualifier under less pressure than any seed will go far. I just have a feeling there may be an unfamiliar quarter final line up. The fact that the qualifiers are played so close to the final stages means the qualifiers have a huge advantage over the seeds.

Postby SnookerFan

WoodK67 wrote:Disappointing that Dave Harold has not entered, he's not played much this season. I've heard that's it for him and like him or not it's a shame to see him go after a successful 24 year career.

He is a bloke. And he is from Stoke. :D

Postby PoolBoy

I know on General Election night there's often a 'race' to see which constituency declares first.
With the snooker World Championship about to start - potentially/theoretically 2,833 frames - I'll be keenly observing Snooker.org's live scoring to see who claims the very first frame of this marathon!

Postby AC or LT?

PoolBoy wrote:I know on General Election night there's often a 'race' to see which constituency declares first.
With the snooker World Championship about to start - potentially/theoretically 2,833 frames - I'll be keenly observing Snooker.org's live scoring to see who claims the very first frame of this marathon!

Not so much a race as a foregone conclusion; it'll be one of Sunderland's seats. Hopefully the WC final will be a relatively early one this year so I can conserve energy for staying up on the GE night.

It'd be a remarkable tournament if all of those 2833 frames were played.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
WoodK67 wrote:Disappointing that Dave Harold has not entered, he's not played much this season. I've heard that's it for him and like him or not it's a shame to see him go after a successful 24 year career.

Here's why....

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Drunk-sn ... story.html

That story is full of billshut.

'Snooker Ace' indeed :hmmm:

Postby Wildey

Michael White 0-1 Steven Hallworth
Craig Steadman 1-0 Rhys Clark
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh 1-0 Barry Pinches
Mark King 1-0 Michael Leslie
Cao Yupeng 0-1 Ross Muir
Anthony McGill 1-0 Hossein Vafaei Ayouri