Post a reply

Should the China Open be moved ?

Postby armchair de critique

The China Open is a funny event.

For most snooker fans it means we are within touching distance of the biggie (the World Champs).

However, it is without doubt seen as a poisoned chalice to do well in the China Open as it can leave preparation for the WC to a minimum and players doing well may be fatigued come start of the WC.

Players have pulled out of the CO or perhaps have played in it in a relaxed manner as their main objective is to go to Sheffield all guns blazing - in order to give their season finale a proper shot.

I ask myself why is Asia's premier snooker tournament not given a better slot in the season calendar..?

Why not go there in near proximity to Christmas (bring forward the UK or push out the Masters).

To me it just seems that the CO is getting a raw deal from the schedule.

Discuss.

Re: Should the China Open be moved ?

Postby Wildey

I Think it has helped the event a bit having qualifiers after the tournament and Maguire despratly needs a good run here or he could have to play 3 qualifiers to get to the crucible.

it does seem strange that China hasent pushed for a change.

it would make more sense having invitationals events or Novelty events so that players could let their hair down before Sheffield.

Back in the 80s and early 90s you had The World Cup and Irish Masters just before the WC.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:I Think it has helped the event a bit having qualifiers after the tournament and Maguire despratly needs a good run here or he could have to play 3 qualifiers to get to the crucible.

it would make more sense having invitationals events or Novelty events so that players could let their hair down before Sheffield.

Back in the 80s and early 90s you had The World Cup and Irish Masters just before the WC.

At the same time, there's already enough best of sevens at this time of year.

Do we need more 'novelty fun events' ?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Think it has helped the event a bit having qualifiers after the tournament and Maguire despratly needs a good run here or he could have to play 3 qualifiers to get to the crucible.

At the same time, there's already enough best of sevens at this time of year.

Do we need more 'novelty fun events' ?

Move Events like rubbish out and old farts cup to this time of year.

Postby sundaygirl

"I ask myself why is Asia's premier snooker tournament not given a better slot in the season calendar..?"

International Championship is Asia's top tourney, winning that is what has put Ricky top of the one year rankings :-)

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Move Events like rubbish out and old farts cup to this time of year.

That's Mark Williams' finest career achievement, I'll have you know. :grrr:

Postby PLtheRef

It used to be the case that the last ranking final before the Crucible was played on the Sunday before the World Championships opened up the following Saturday. Uniquely this once had a situation where both finalists in the event were playing their final match of the season - 2003 I think it was.

Move the China Open to the slot now vacated by the World Open at the end of February and hold the Grand Prix in the end of March-early April slot - alternatively if the UK gets the Players Championship Finals again hold that then.

That said something unranked may be the ideal appetizer for the World Qualifiers