Post a reply

Olivier Marteel to Referee World Final !!

Postby Wildey

Olivier Marteel will become the first Belgian to referee the Crucible final at the Betfred World Championship, which starts next month.

The 45-year-old from Koksijde in West Flanders will take charge of the final in Sheffield on May 3 and 4.

Marteel has previously refereed several major finals, including last week's World Grand Prix, and officiated the semi-final between Mark Selby and Neil Robertson at the Crucible last year.

"I had dreamed of refereeing the World Championship final, but I never thought it would happen," said Marteel. "When I started out in refereeing, I never expected to get very far.

"I first went to the Crucible as a fan in 1992. Even then, I knew how special the venue was. And of course the first time I refereed there, I felt it even more - I was shaking. I will be a bit nervous for the final, but that's a good thing. It gets your adrenaline going, gives you a kick, and makes you focus.

"I'm very proud to be the first Belgian to referee the final, and the second from continental Europe, after Jan Verhaas. My whole career has been half for me, and half for Belgian snooker."

More on the story here

Re: Olivier Marteel to Referee World Final !!

Postby sundaygirl

SnookerFan wrote:
armchair de critique wrote:could not have picked a better bloke

I 100% agree.

Tatiana Woollaston should've got the job. :love:

You're not thinking straight is not real :love: you've got to give yourself time to get over Michaela #rebound

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:
You're not thinking straight is not real :love: you've got to give yourself time to get over Michaela #rebound

She left me, and broke my heart. I'm just trying to move on. :sad:

Postby armchair de critique

SnookerFan wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:

She left me, and broke my heart. I'm just trying to move on. :sad:

change your avatar to Tityana then, that way you prove you have moved on :-)

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:Consider this.

Will Marteel still get the gig if Brecel reaches the final?

yup

Michaela Tabb refereed Higgins 2009 win against Murphy
Eirian Williams did the 2005 final between Murphy and Stevens.

Postby davisfan

Snooker as Eurovision... Belgian ref awards Belgian player 2 points per red, 15 per black, nul points to non-Belgian opponent. Secretive panels across several countries vote on who should win, despite none of them watching the match itself.

Hearn will probably experiment with this format next season.

Postby SnookerFan

davisfan wrote:Snooker as Eurovision... Belgian ref awards Belgian player 2 points per red, 15 per black, nul points to non-Belgian opponent. Secretive panels across several countries vote on who should win, despite none of them watching the match itself.

Hearn will probably experiment with this format next season.

Seeing as you mention it.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/ge ... ng+Contest

:hatoff: