Post a reply

Snooker is a combination of...

Postby Andy Spark

You are talking to a very erudite individual, who seems (for all his erudition!) not to have heard of snooker. You have to describe snooker as a combination of two things, in your opinion which two things describe snooker?

...I would say it's a combination of poker and archery.

Re: Snooker is a combination of...

Postby Andre147

Good topic mate <ok>

I would say it's a combination of skill and nerve.

Skill because it is for me the most difficult of all Cue Sports, and nerve because you definately need to have it in order to suceed in this Sport.

I'm sure there will be many other suggestions, but right now these are the two that come to mind for me.

Postby Andre147

But I didn't combine other sports to describe Snooker like you did, but those two you mentioned seem pretty accurate.

Postby Cloud Strife

Depending on who is playing snooker can be a combination of dentistry and robotics, or it can be a combination of art and space exploration.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:Good topic mate <ok>

I would say it's a combination of skill and nerve.

Skill because it is for me the most difficult of all Cue Sports, and nerve because you definately need to have it in order to suceed in this Sport.

I'm sure there will be many other suggestions, but right now these are the two that come to mind for me.

Great Andre, but those things you mention seem quite general to a lot of sports. I mean, my hypothetical erudite friend might suggest that many sports require great skill and nerve!

Postby Andy Spark

Cloud Strife wrote:Depending on who is playing snooker can be a combination of dentistry and robotics, or it can be a combination of art and space exploration.

...just give me a while to think about these. :-)

Postby Andy Spark

Andy Spark wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Depending on who is playing snooker can be a combination of dentistry and robotics, or it can be a combination of art and space exploration.

...just give me a while to think about these. :-)

My erudite friend is impressed with the idea of artistry mingling with dentistry, robotics and space exploration, but he says that, for all his erudition, he is still rather bereft of an accurate idea of this sport of snooker. ( for me, I understand how different playing styles both infuriate and invigorate :-) )

Postby snooker_loopy

Cue action precision and concentration.

Without a perfect or near perfect cue action you'll keep missing pots - the dreaded 'cue across ball syndrome!' - and without sustained levels of concentration you'll miss easy shot and make silly safety shots. If you can master the cue action and sustain your concentration you can be a decent player. But that, of course, is very hard to do!

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:You have to describe snooker as a combination of two things, in your opinion which two things describe snooker?

Junk food and beer.

But I can't speak for anybody else who watches it.

Postby Clara8633

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Chess and classical music

I study classical music, and it's definitely not like snooker.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Clara8633 wrote:

Well it's not exactly like chess either ;-)

A player in full flow reminds me of a symphonic orchestra performing. Both require lots of skill, finesse and endless hours of practice at the highest level. Also there's an elegance and gentleness to snooker, starting with the dress code and the audience that has to stay absolutely quiet during the "performances".

Postby Clara8633

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

Well it's not exactly like chess either ;-)

A player in full flow reminds me of a symphonic orchestra performing. Both require lots of skill, finesse and endless hours of practice at the highest level. Also there's an elegance and gentleness to snooker, starting with the dress code and the audience that has to stay absolutely quiet during the "performances".

That's true, I'd never thought of that. I was just thinking about the fact that snooker needs accuracy when potting while music is more flexible and relies on interpretation. But now that I think about it, the violin needs accuracy too in order to play in tune. And its bow & rosin is very much like a snooker's cue & chalk lol.

Maybe a duet is more fitting than a symphonic orchestra, since there are only two people performing together in snooker.

Postby Andy Spark

Wow! A lot of people like this topic! :-D Lots of suggestions...Skill, nerve, dentistry, robotics,art, space exploration, left brain, right brain, newtonian mechanics, accuracy, chess, classical music, imagination, quick draw, pool, marathon tactics, zen, trigonometry, cue action precision, concentration, junk food, beer, satanic rock concert, sumo, wood stick, phenol formaldehyde resin, stiff shafts, balls flying, table and balls

So what have we leaned about snooker? Yes, loads! We now know enough to be World Champion! :hankey:

Postby armchair de critique

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:You have to describe snooker as a combination of two things, in your opinion which two things describe snooker?

Junk food and beer.

:hatoff:

Postby Andy Spark

armchair de critique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Junk food and beer.

:hatoff:

The question referred to playing snooker, with a serious intention to get better at it as a sport! Watching snooker is different. As regards watching snooker, I can sort of agree with you, it certainly has an alcoholic dimension. Alcohol and watching snooker go together really well, even loads and loads of alcohol and watching snooker; the hypnotic green of the baize, the slow clearing of a cluttered table to a uniform green, it is all rather alcoholic. But junk food? Hmm...maybe, but it's not an obvious link.