Post a reply

Sky Sports Mark Selby show

Postby SnookerFan

Mark Selby - Life Of A World Champion will be shown on Sky Sports from Monday.

The programme will be available On Demand from 9am Monday March 2nd. It will be also be on Sky Sports 5 at 9pm on Friday 6th March. This is straight after the Betway Shoot-Out Final.

Mark Selby - Life Of A World Champion is a profile of the Crucible king and world number one. Sky spent several months on the tour with Selby, looking at the life of a professional snooker player and some of the challenges faced on the global circuit.

Selby grew up in tough surroundings. Raised by his Dad, on a council estate with very little money, he spent every possible moment in the snooker club - even playing it for his PE lessons. His Dad died when he was 16, and at his hospital bedside, Mark promised him he'd be World Champion. Two months later he turned professional - and 15 years later he fulfilled his promise with an astonishing victory over Ronnie O'Sullivan. By his own admission, Selby wasn't the most naturally talented player, but an incredible determination - born of his hard upbringing - meant he could reach the very top of his sport.

Don't miss it!

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 88,00.html

Re: Sky Sports Mark Selby show

Postby SnookerFan

It's probably ancient news to most people, considering most things they put up on the World Snooker website are. But I thought I'd highlight it as it gave the times etc for anybody who might wish to watch it.

Postby mantorok

I never cared much for Selby, but he's won me over on his determination, every player on the tour could learn a lot from Mark Selby. If he ever coached someone mentally I would like to see the result.

His WC win will go down as one of the best final wins at the WC.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:I never cared much for Selby, but he's won me over on his determination, every player on the tour could learn a lot from Mark Selby. If he ever coached someone mentally I would like to see the result.

That's his great strength. His mental tenacity, and never give up attitude.

I've actually come across people who think he's a crap player who has fluked or cheated his way to his achievements, purely because he doesn't play like Ronnie. These people are morons.

Postby gcjdavid

Some Ronnie fans think that they are Ronnie fans, not snooker fans.

I admire Mark Selby, though he's not my snooker idol.

Postby Cloud Strife

Not my favourite player by any stretch, but I've learnt to respect Selby more since he became World Champion.

Doubt I'll be watching much of the Shootout, but I'll definitely give this a watch.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:I never cared much for Selby, but he's won me over on his determination, every player on the tour could learn a lot from Mark Selby. If he ever coached someone mentally I would like to see the result.

I've actually come across people who think he's a crap player who has fluked or cheated his way to his achievements, purely because he doesn't play like Ronnie. These people are morons.

Clearly, he's one of the best safety players in the world and when he's on form he can be one of the best breakbuilders too, and as for making breaks under pressure, well you would have to consider him amongst Hendry/Higgins/Ronnie.

He's right up there, anyone who says otherwise is deluded, but like I say not my cup of tea, but to deny his pedigree is ridiculous.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:

Clearly, he's one of the best safety players in the world and when he's on form he can be one of the best breakbuilders too, and as for making breaks under pressure, well you would have to consider him amongst Hendry/Higgins/Ronnie.

He's right up there, anyone who says otherwise is deluded, but like I say not my cup of tea, but to deny his pedigree is ridiculous.[/quote]

Agree with everything you say. He's such a great player, in all aspect of the game. But some don't realise this.

I wasn't singling you out as somebody who didn't think he was good, by the way. But I'm sure we've all come across people who think otherwise.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:

He's right up there, anyone who says otherwise is deluded, but like I say not my cup of tea, but to deny his pedigree is ridiculous.

Agree with everything you say. He's such a great player, in all aspect of the game. But some don't realise this.

I wasn't singling you out as somebody who didn't think he was good, by the way. But I'm sure we've all come across people who think otherwise.[/quote]

I know, just re-iterating <ok>

Postby Andre147

Just watched this amazing documentary on Selby, and all I can say is Mark deserves absolutely everything he gets from the game.

He's worked so so hard to be where he is, he came through a tough background, especially after his parents split up and his father died of cancer when he was only 16.

He never gave up, and fulfilled the promised he had made to his dad shortly before he passed away: that he would become World Champ.

Not gonna lie, I didn't enjoy Selby beating my favourite player in a World Final at all, but at the same time as I said above he deserves everything for what he had to come through and the sheer effort he puts in. I almost cried when in the show they showed Selby potting the last few balls to become World Champ and the fact that when he was on the final pink and black he was thinking there wasn't a chance in a million years he would miss them, and of course he didn't and made a superb clearance to make his father's dream a reality.

Quite ironic I felt emotional for him especially when it was against my favourite player <laugh> but Selby is a class act and truly deserves everything from the game.

Great documentary it was.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

i am not gonna lie. Huge respect for selby.

but was it neccesary to analyze the miss on the PINK. selby noticed every motion ronnie made before the shot. Deep breath etc.

That miss decicded the match imo. every1 can disagree but 12-11 had been a mental advantage after had lost so many frames on the trot and to win the last two would have given ronnie some kind of relief

same as selby felt after the first day only being 7-10 down. he must have felt he won the match.

Postby Clara8633

masterdoctorgenius wrote:That miss decicded the match imo. every1 can disagree but 12-11 had been a mental advantage after had lost so many frames on the trot and to win the last two would have given ronnie some kind of relief

I don't think Selby would lose that final even if ROS potted the pink. He'd already lost to Higgins in his last WC final after a comeback like this one, so this time he was determined the same thing didn't happen again.

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:That miss decicded the match imo. every1 can disagree but 12-11 had been a mental advantage after had lost so many frames on the trot and to win the last two would have given ronnie some kind of relief

I don't think Selby would lose that final even if ROS potted the pink. He'd already lost to Higgins in his last WC final after a comeback like this one, so this time he was determined the same thing didn't happen again.

Yeah Clara I too don't agree with masterdoctor, even if Ronnie had potted the pink and gone 12-11 up I still think Selby would win the match. He was right back in it again, and if that happened the upper hand would have still been on Selby.

The "ifs" don't matter much now, but yeah even if Ronnie won the last 2 frames of 3rd session the Final outcome would have been the same, maybe closer, something like 18-15 or 18-16 in Selby's favour.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie lost the match in the first two sessions. Scoring-wise Selby was struggling heavily and Ronnie had chances in all frames. He should have led at least 11:6, maybe even 12:5 after the first day.

If there was a keyball in the whole match, it was the silly black, Ronnie missed off the spot in the 15th frame. Remember. He made two brillant one visit breaks to go 10:5 up and it looked he'd overrun Selby at that moment. Especially as the opening red of Ronnie was a real cracker.

But the missed black turned everything into the wrong direction from his point of his view. It gave Selby the boost and belief he needed and when he won the last two frames and came back to 10:7, it felt like he won the session, considering, how he was struggling. I think, both players would agree with that.

After that Ronnie became weaker and Selby stronger, especially his safety game was really superb and the comeback looked to be inevitable.

Btw. Interesting documentary. I enjoyed it. We're just seeing the players on television. It's good to learn something about the person himself.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Ronnie lost the match in the first two sessions. Scoring-wise Selby was struggling heavily and Ronnie had chances in all frames. He should have led at least 11:6, maybe even 12:5 after the first day.

If there was a keyball in the whole match, it was the silly black, Ronnie missed off the spot in the 15th frame. Remember. He made two brillant one visit breaks to go 10:5 up and it looked he'd overrun Selby at that moment. Especially as the opening red of Ronnie was a real cracker.

But the missed black turned everything into the wrong direction from his point of his view. It gave Selby the boost and belief he needed and when he won the last two frames and came back to 10:7, it felt like he won the session, considering, how he was struggling. I think, both players would agree with that.

After that Ronnie became weaker and Selby stronger, especially his safety game was really superb and the comeback looked to be inevitable.

Btw. Interesting documentary. I enjoyed it. We're just seeing the players on television. It's good to learn something about the person himself.

Yeah I too mentioned more than once that missed black off its spot changed the whole match. He was leading 10-5, golden chance for 11-5, went to check his cue for whatever reason, that broke his focus, and bang, he misses.

At the time though, I said I would have taken a 10-7 lead all day long, better than being behind I suppose, but the way the 10-7 came is what changed the whole match. As you say, 11-6 or even 12-5 and I dont think Selby would have won.

The pink ball didnt turn things around, they were already turned, it only made things worse, but the damage was already done. The 3rd session was a pain to watch as a Ronnie fan, in the 4th I was relaxed because I knew sooner or later he would lose.

Anyway, Ronnie put that defeat behind him and duly won the CoC and more importantly the UK in a decider. I would love of course if he wins the Worlds this season, but even if he doesn't winning the UK Champs makes this season a fairly good one for him.

Postby TheRocket

Yes. Fortunately he won the UK. It would have been devastating , had he lost the final in the decider and I thought that this could have really ruined him and his ambitions. It'd have been really hard to mentally getting over it.

And yes. It would be brillant if he wins another world again. 6 would be perfect, having the same number as the Nugget but it's gonna be difficult, especially as he's kinda struggling so far in this new year. He needs to find his form back. Atm I wouldn't say that he's the main favourite. Robertson and even Selby (since German Masters) seem to be in better form.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:And yes. It would be brillant if he wins another world again. 6 would be perfect, having the same number as the Nugget but it's gonna be difficult, especially as he's kinda struggling so far in this new year. He needs to find his form back. Atm I wouldn't say that he's the main favourite. Robertson and even Selby (since German Masters) seem to be in better form.

For me the 3 main contenders for the Worlds, whatever happens for the rest of the season are: Robertson, Selby, Murphy.

I put Ronnie and Trump behind them, some may not agree with it, but that's how I see it anyway.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:And yes. It would be brillant if he wins another world again. 6 would be perfect, having the same number as the Nugget but it's gonna be difficult, especially as he's kinda struggling so far in this new year. He needs to find his form back. Atm I wouldn't say that he's the main favourite. Robertson and even Selby (since German Masters) seem to be in better form.

For me the 3 main contenders for the Worlds, whatever happens for the rest of the season are: Robertson, Selby, Murphy.

I put Ronnie and Trump behind them, some may not agree with it, but that's how I see it anyway.

I'd go along with that assessment. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for Ronnie to go into this year's tournament without the favourite's tag. Could release the pressure a little hopefully.

Selby won't win it, that's for sure. Of course he's more than capable of beating anyone in the tournament, but the one thing he cannot beat is The Crucible Curse. <ok>

Postby Clara8633

TheRocket wrote:Btw. Interesting documentary. I enjoyed it. We're just seeing the players on television. It's good to learn something about the person himself

I liked the documentary too, but unfortunately already knew almost all the details in it before I watched it. Though I've never seen most of the pictures before so that was something new.

Postby Dan-cat

LOLZ at where this thead ended up. Ronnie and his pink.

I thought this doc was OK, it could have been way better. It was repetitive and didn't say a lot. Having said that, I also cried, it's a great story of dedication.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:LOLZ at where this thead ended up. Ronnie and his pink.

I thought this doc was OK, it could have been way better. It was repetitive and didn't say a lot. Having said that, I also cried, it's a great story of dedication.

Once again, it was masterdoctor who first brought it up rofl

pmsl