Topic locked

888.com World Grand Prix Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 16th ~ Sunday 22nd of March at Venue Cymru, Llandudno, North Wales

The World Grand Prix is a brand new event that brings together the Most consistent players over the last 18 tournaments starting with the 2014 World Championship up to the 2015 Gdynia Open.

World Champion Mark Selby heads the field 125,000 points ahead of Second placed Ronnie O'Sullivan courtasy of winning the World Championship.

All the top players have made it apart from Ali Carter who as we know has had off table problems that hes now overcome but still 21,000 points off qualifying and in 61st spot.

Who will put themselves in to the Last 16 and stay with a chance to pick up £100,000?

DRAW

Last 32

Mark Selby v Michael Holt Selby leads 5-2
Martin Gould v Alan McManus McManus leads 1-0
Stephen Maguire v Xiao Guodong Maguire leads 2-1
Shaun Murphy v Peter Ebdon Murphy leads 8-4
Ricky Walden v Ding Junhui Walden leads 3-1
Mark J Williams v Ryan Day Day leads 4-3
Joe Perry v Ben Woollaston Perry leads 2-1
Judd Trump v Dominic Dale Trump leads 5-1
-------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Robertson v Luca Brecel Never played before
Marco Fu v Mark Davis 3-3
Barry Hawkins v Matthew Selt Hawkins leads 3-2
Stuart Bingham v Anthony McGill Bingham leads 1-0
Mark Allen v Liang Wenbo Liang Wenbo leads 4-2
John Higgins v Graeme Dott Higgins leads 15-6
Robert Milkins v Michael White Milkins leads 2-0
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Rod Lawler O'Sullivan leads 2-0

ORDER OF PLAY

(Not Available on British Eurosport)

Re: World Grand Prix Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Cloud Strife

So we've just had the Welsh Open, to be followed by the Indian Open, World Grand Prix and PTC finals all with the best of 7 format.

It really has become the norm now, hasn't it?

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:So we've just had the Welsh Open, to be followed by the Indian Open, World Grand Prix and PTC finals all with the best of 7 format.

It really has become the norm now, hasn't it?

Unfortuntately yes. This Indian Open format is actually quite similar to the World Open when it was held in 2010. There they had Best of 5s until the Final, Best of 9 the Final itself, and here the only difference is Best of 7s until Final, and Best of 9 again.

How can a full ranking event be Best of 5 or Best of 7 until Final is beyond me...

I wont be surprised if someone like Michael White or even Luca win the Indian Open. I would be delighted for them, but this is definately the wrong format.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:Best of 9 final is laughable, it really is. I feel bad for the Indian public because it makes the whole event a lottery.

I would kinda accept Best of 7s first and second round, but further rounds definately need longer formats.

What happened to the Best of 9s until Semis, Semis Best of 11 and Final Best of 17 or 19? It is a joke indeed.

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:Almost every snooker fan wants 11s in ranking events. Will hearn listen, will he buck!

i had this debate with him and some others on Twitter yesterday.

He says that what TV Companies want it fits in to their schedule better.

Postby Dan-cat

Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Almost every snooker fan wants 11s in ranking events. Will hearn listen, will he buck!

I don't think that's the whole story. In the Selby doc Barry said something along the lines of 'best of sevens mean new faces come through to TV stages. It's worked in other sports for me (i.e. shortening the matches) and it's here to stay in snooker'

Postby AC or LT?

Dan-cat wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I don't think that's the whole story. In the Selby doc Barry said something along the lines of 'best of sevens mean new faces come through to TV stages. It's worked in other sports for me (i.e. shortening the matches) and it's here to stay in snooker'

Jeez, I didn't realise snooker was running an entertainment show focussed around getting new personalities on screen, all this time I'd been under the illusion it was a sport where the best players should go through to the later rounds.

Best of 7 is not long enough to separate good players out, it becomes a luck of the draw pile of shitfest.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

He's always blaming the TV companies, isn't he?

It's an easy cop out. I suspect best of 7s are something he himself wants, and is quick to blame the TV companies when fans raise a protest.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

He's always blaming the TV companies, isn't he?

It's an easy cop out. I suspect best of 7s are something he himself wants, and is quick to blame the TV companies when fans raise a protest.

Whatever it is its naivety from him or TV .

Ive yet to see a post on here supporting best of 7s in Main events and even people on twitter yesterday was looking at it from perspective of "lets be greatfull there are snooker tournaments on"

But i look at it the Product is great lets enhance events not be greatfull that players takes their cues out.

What Hearn has done since hes taken over is fantastic but he needs to start taking it on to the next level now not stay stagnated with as if Best of 7s are the be all and end all.

Postby snooky147

Hearn will NEVER listen. He is far too arrogant to admit to being wrong on anything, whether it be formats or player conditions or rearranging the travel to make it a little easier for the players or indeed the near impossiblity it will be for the 16 qualifiers for the WC to get a hotel. I could go on but suffice it to say that whatever the good he has done and there's been a lot it's more than mitigated by the bad. Needless to say I am not and NEVER will be a fan of him.

Postby snooky147

Dan-cat wrote:He will never please everyone all the time but if you look at the sport from when he took over compared to now, I can't see how anyone could have done a better job.

I don't deny what he has done saved the sport, but now he needs to stop and take a breath and look at what he is doing. But he won't do that.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:He will never please everyone all the time but if you look at the sport from when he took over compared to now, I can't see how anyone could have done a better job.

Nobody disputing what hes done and the transformation but there comes a time where the direction has to change otherwise you get carried away with what you have done instead of thinking how it can get even better.

Barry is falling in to that trap at the moment.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
20 cans of beer. That's like 3 matches right? Oh hang on - Best of 7s.

Yeah, what's your point? rofl

Nah, joking aside, I'll probably watch some in the pub and round other people's house. I did think about getting another box of twenty in, but I won't drink that much at home. Can always get a smaller 10 box in if need be.

Re: 888.com World Grand Prix Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Amazingly Ricky Walden, Michael White and Mark Williams who are in the Semi final of the Indian Open and will be playing in this event are not playing on the Monday so that Mondays Order of play wont be interrupted.

Ricky Walden NB 2pm Tuesday
Mark Williams 7pm Tuesday
Michael White NB 8pm Tuesday