Post a reply

Can a reasonable person dislike Mark Williams?

Postby Andy Spark

At worst, isn't he a bit like an old sock or an old shoe? You may not really be a fan, but isn't he sort of undislikable? :party:

Re: Can a reasonable person dislike Mark Williams?

Postby SnookerFan

He lost brownie points with me with his comments about The Crucible being a shithole. Other than that he seems like a decent enough guy.

When I was watching snooker at university, he was winning everything. Good times.

Postby GreenRiver

SnookerFan wrote:He lost brownie points with me with his comments about The Crucible being a shithole.

I like it that he was honest and frank though - rather that than lying to everyone and pretending he thinks the Crucible is marvellous. I prefer it when people say what they really think rather than saying what they think others want to hear.

Postby SnookerFan

AC or LT? wrote:Even when that opinion is completely and utterly steaming bullocks that could only come from some delusion?

I wouldn't quite go that far. I understand what Greenriver is saying.

The reason I said he lost brownie Points though, was because I believe it to be thoroughly wrong in his assessment. I wasn't disrespecting his right to acknowledge an opinion.

It's probably a small thing in the grand scheme of things though. I merely mention it because the nature of what we were discussing.

Postby Dan-cat

I tend to wear my shoes until they have fallen apart and are uncomfortable and letting water in and I end up hating the sight of them, so no - I like Willo a great deal more than that :)

The Crucible comment was unfortunate, I've been there 3 times and always loved it, once inside the auditorium. It's certainly not the prettiest building though, it's a cheap breezeblock structure.

I too remember 2002/3 when he was the best player by miles and played with such panache, floating the balls in. He looked liked that against Marco last week.

Postby SnookerFan

I think we're slightly taking my Crucible comments comment a bit seriously.

What I'm not saying is; "Mark Williams is a bastard for saying this... I HATE HIM!" :grrr:

More that I was pointing out that there is one tiny thing in a career that's spanned more than 2 decades that could've drawn controversy. I'm sure people can remember more than one thing I've done wrong this week, let alone in the last twenty years. rofl

Postby shankly

Didn't he mean that the two-table set up was rubbish, but no complaints with one table? Something like that anyway. I love the Crucible and watching live snooker there but I can see why players might not be as enamoured of the two table set up. It is pretty cramped. If I had to play a match with the spectators breathing down my neck I doubt I'd enjoy it either.

Anyway, to answer the original question: no. Love Willo, one of my favourites.

Postby Andre147

shankly wrote:Didn't he mean that the two-table set up was rubbish, but no complaints with one table? Something like that anyway. I love the Crucible and watching live snooker there but I can see why players might not be as enamoured of the two table set up. It is pretty cramped. If I had to play a match with the spectators breathing down my neck I doubt I'd enjoy it either.

Anyway, to answer the original question: no. Love Willo, one of my favourites.

Yes I agree with him that the 2 table setup isn't very nice at all players wise. It's perfect for spectators because they can be as close to the action as possible, but for the majority of the players they find it very unconfortable. In the 1 table setup though it's one of the best venues in Snooker.

I do hope it remains there as long as possible.

My strong feeling though is that after 2017 (when the contract finishes) and it will be 40 years since the first edition, after these 40 years I have a strong feeling that will be the last we see of the Crucible hosting the World Champs. So if I ever want to go there I better do it(not this year) but in the next 2 years right? :roll:

Like I say, after 2017 I very much doubt it will be at the Crucible again after 40 years. Hope I'm wrong though.

Postby Clara8633

GreenRiver wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:He lost brownie points with me with his comments about The Crucible being a shithole.

I like it that he was honest and frank though - rather that than lying to everyone and pretending he thinks the Crucible is marvellous. I prefer it when people say what they really think rather than saying what they think others want to hear.

He needn't swear at it though.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Like I say, after 2017 I very much doubt it will be at the Crucible again after 40 years. Hope I'm wrong though.

Me too.

Though this year, I'll have been going for ten years. Part of me was thinking of giving it a break this year, but I had to book tickets before I knew whether they'd extend the contract or not. (Though I suspected it would.)

Part of the luster of it has gone for me at the moment, because I've been going for so long. This shouldn't happen for such a fine venue as The Crucible.

I'll probably buckle though. I said I wouldn't go to the Welsh Open this year, and I did.