Post a reply

Re: Has John Higgins got a realistic chance of winning World

Postby Holden Chinaski

I might be the only one here, but I think he can. It's very unlikely, but it's John Higgins. I never count him out.
I don't think he will win the worlds again, but it's possible. If Ronnie finds his A game he will win it. If not, Higgins definitely has a chance.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:Some people think Ding Junhui has a good chance of winning the Worlds. These same people say John Higgins has no chance. Go figure.

Ding has the game to win the worlds. He needs work on the mental aspect, maybe work with Steve Peters, but if he gets his head right he can win it.

When Ding plays his A game he's better than Selby, Robertson and Murphy in my opinion. Problem is he doesn't produce his A game enough and his head isn't right... But he can definitely win the worlds one day. He's too good. Don't forget he's from the other side of the world and has lots of pressure from China. Other players don't have these problems...

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:I'm not actually convinced Ding will win The World Championship. Especially not as long as it's held in Sheffield. He doesn't seem to like the venue, and seems almost intimidated by it.

I'm not either, and everyone is intimidated by it, it holds a lot of history. Bottlers like Ding and Jimmy White don't win world championships, born winners will prevail there.

There's only been a few flukes in the past IMO, Graeme Dott being one, Shaun Murphy being another (sorry but that has to be said).

The rest have bottle in abundance, which is why I wasn't surprised Selby would become WC before the jokers around at the moment, he's a hardened winner and has major bottle, he's a bit of an Ebdon in that respect.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't think anybody can be referred to as a fluke winner. Maybe an unexpected one, but you have to win 71 frames to become World Champion. How can that be a fluke?

Murphy has also won the UK Championship and the Masters, so it seems an odd example of a fluke winner. And even though Dott has only won one other ranking event, it seems harsh referring to his World Title win as a fluke. He has reached the final three times.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think anybody can be referred to as a fluke winner. Maybe an unexpected one, but you have to win 71 frames to become World Champion. How can that be a fluke?

Murphy has also won the UK Championship and the Masters, so it seems an odd example of a fluke winner. And even though Dott has only won one other ranking event, it seems harsh referring to his World Title win as a fluke. He has reached the final three times.

Ok I said fluke, for want of a better phrase maybe unexpected is more appropriate, but you do have to look at what else they have one, Murphy's only just won the masters and, oh look, he fluked the UK final with a fluke on the pink. Since winning the WC both these players went severely downhill.

Postby 151kbar151

I hope no. He doesn't deserve this. I was his little fan before his match fixing scandal. Steve Lee got ban but he not even on Youtube is video where he is clearly planning match fixing. Welcome to World Snooker.

Postby Andre147

151kbar151 wrote:I hope no. He doesn't deserve this. I was his little fan before his match fixing scandal. Steve Lee got ban but he not even on Youtube is video where he is clearly planning match fixing. Welcome to World Snooker.

This was just one of them, especially the last frame and colours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X_0FBEnHUQ

Check this link as well:

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 93,00.html

And you'll see most of them were on TV and are on Youtube.

Postby davisfan

Short answer to the OP question: of course he does. Confidence is clearly extremely important to him (from a purely human perspective it's been sad to see him struggle with this the past couple of years) and now he has some. He also has experience of winning the WC and there's nobody in the draw he can't beat.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:No.

Yeah I also share the same opinion.

Yeah others can go on "never write a 4 times Champ off, blah blah blah" but I don't think he has the consistency in his game to win another Worlds again.

Winning the Welsh Open changed almost nothing in his chances for the Worlds. He also won Shanghai Masters 2012 playing awesome, and then for the rest of the season did almost nothing, and he was younger then.

He'll probably get knocked out 2nd round or Quarters, that is if he foesn't go out first round like the past 2 years.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:I've got a bad feeling he will this year.

it would be a very sad state of affairs for the game if he does

Yeah I agree, I think it's better for the game if Ronnie wins instead.

Wild will not agree with that <laugh>

Postby Andy Spark

The thought of that tortured, weather-beaten face grinding out another World Championship victory seems like something from a new era of snooker; an era of "20 somethings need not apply". :-(