Post a reply

World Snooker invites Snookerscene to sell at Masters!

Postby Roland

Things are definitely changing. I'm purely going on a Twitter entry here but this is it:

Dave Hendon wrote:@ProSnookerBlog Things have changed. We got a call today asking if we'd like to sell SS at the Masters - 6 years after they banned it!

Great news. World Snookers fiercest critic back on good terms with the governing body.

Re: World Snooker invites Snookerscene to sell at Masters!

Postby Roland

I know the issues are on the thin side but it's the political snooker magazine. I love reading Clive Evertons soapbox column at the start, and there are occasionally good articles. OK it's not a snooker fans dream magazine but it's a significant move by World Snooker. It marks the end of the days of trying to ban Everton from everywhere (including the commentary box). It's a significant gesture, that's the point.

Postby Wildey

snookerfan

the reason theres been same old same old is because the WSA wasent listening and doing sod all to change the way the sport is run.

things world snooker did that was petty was amazing ...stop the selling of snooker scene at tournaments etc.

it was a joke and who can blame snookerscene reacting badly.

i look at it as seifer is the WSA talking rubbish and im snooker scene reacting badly.

Postby Wildey

World Snooker was restricting access to snooker Scene so reviewing or previewing snooker was not as easy as it should be for Snooker Scene.

don't forget World Snooker has been trying to make life difficult for Clive Everton for years both Journalistic and with the BBC.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:World Snooker was restricting access to snooker Scene so reviewing or previewing snooker was not as easy as it should be for Snooker Scene.

don't forget World Snooker has been trying to make life difficult for Clive Everton for years both Journalistic and with the BBC.

Which is a shame as he is the best commentator the BBC had. I did see him hanging around at Telford. Good to see he hasn't completely vanished off the spectrum.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:World Snooker was restricting access to snooker Scene so reviewing or previewing snooker was not as easy as it should be for Snooker Scene.

Which is a shame as he is the best commentator the BBC had. I did see him hanging around at Telford. Good to see he hasn't completely vanished off the spectrum.

he did one if not 2 stints for them...persanally id have told them to stick it where the sun dont shine :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

he did one if not 2 stints for them...persanally id have told them to stick it where the sun dont shine :chin:

Maybe he just loves commentating on snooker too much. I didn't watch much PL, but one event I did watch had him and Mike Hallett commentating. It was like a BBC commentator and a Eurosport commentator coming together for Sky.

Postby Smart

In my youth I used to buy SnookerScene from WHSmiths. It was a pretty tired publication in those days and I stopped after a couple of years (not sure what happened to those mags). Anyhow I also used to buy (and still have a big collection of) Wisden Cricketer Monthly.

The funny thing is, WCM had an overhual of how it was presented etc and I stopped buying it.

So what I am saying is the "keeping things as they are" suits existing subscribers but probably stops new people from buying it. Changing things is risky in terms of potentially losing existing subscribers. People are fickle.

I like Clive in terms of his commentary and his thinking but I have my own views and it is somewhat a personal crusade on his part and I can take it or leave it. I choose to leave it. <ok>

Postby Wildey

i have to say it comes over as a personal crusade but as a person that knows roughly the politics and the crap thats been going on in snooker for 30+ years what he said is 100% correct.

WPBSA in the early 80s instead of looking to work with indipendant promoters they made it their mission to push everyone out so they had control. theire treatment of mike watterson the guy that brought snooker to the crucible was a disgrace and that was early 80s.