Topic locked

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Semi Finals Discussion !!!

Postby AC or LT?

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Woollaston can't win tomorrow. If he was capable of winning ranking titles he'd have managed it years ago, he's just another Mark Davis like journeyman.

Even though I hope he does win.

to call ben a journeyman is a bit harsh. still very young. won ptc. cues like paul hunter but consistency is his problem

i would have taken a selby victory at the welsh but not higgins

He's 27. The great and the good were reaching semis 8-10 years younger than he is now, on a consistent basis. I'm not dying he's a good cueist and that he can breakbuild, but he can't win matches, somehow he managed to win tonight despite choking in frame 9,10 and 11.

Postby TheRocket

What an anti-climax this is now. We had MJW and Brecel in the semis and I hoped that one of them wins the tournament. Then we had the opportunity of a MJW-Higgins classic.

Now we have Higgins-Woolaston. Couldnt have been worse. Nevertheless well done to Higgins already. He played good stuff against Brecel at least.

Postby TheRocket

And unfortunately, it also needs to be said. That was probably MJW's last chance to win a ranking tournament. And he couldnt have asked for a better opponent in the semis. Just sad to see how great he was playing yesterday and what happened today. That's what decline makes to you.

Postby Odrl

masterdoctorgenius wrote:world number 15 against world number 36. unheard of.

I think Dominic Dale was 31st when he beat Ryan Day in the 2007 Shanghai Masters final. Day was 16th.

Barry Hawkins and Peter Ebdon were both around 20th when they played the 2012 Australian Open final. :-)

Postby Andre147

Odrl wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:world number 15 against world number 36. unheard of.

I think Dominic Dale was 31st when he beat Ryan Day in the 2007 Shanghai Masters final. Day was 16th.

Barry Hawkins and Peter Ebdon were both around 20th when they played the 2012 Australian Open final. :-)

Even worst, Walden was 30 something when he won 2008 Shanghai Masters, and Ronnie was WN1 then!

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:So I guess the ROS fans would actually have preferred Selby to reach the final compared to this <laugh>

Definately would have prefered that <ok>

Seeing Higgins get close to Ronnie's ranking titles isnt' that great, not that I mind too much about it as Ronnie will finish his career with more rankers than Higgins I'm sure, but still...

Selby would have been tons better compared to this.

Anyway...

Postby Odrl

Andre147 wrote:Even worst, Walden was 30 something when he won 2008 Shanghai Masters, and Ronnie was WN1 then!

Yeah, I was just trying to think of a few where both players were ranked fairly low. :-)

2007 Welsh Open final is another good one, Robertson was 13th and Higginson was unranked.