Post a reply

Ricky Walden the new Matthew Stevens?

Postby sundaygirl

After Ricky's 5-3 defeat from 3-0 up vs Luca Brecel in yesterday's Welsh Open QF it has become clear my new favourite player has much in common with my former favourite.

Discuss

If anyone wants to rave about how brilliant Luca was, this may make me feel slightly better.

Re: Ricky Walden the new Matthew Stevens?

Postby Odrl

You mean in the sense of losing big matches from in front? Or just playing poorly at the business end of tournaments?

I don't think either applies to Walden really, despite his struggles last night. He's won all three ranking finals he's played in, and won three of his six major semi-finals as well. His main problem seems to be consistency, he plays one good tournament but inevitably follows it with three bad ones. :-)

Postby Andre147

sundaygirl wrote:Not being a good front runner and collapsing when someone comes back.

He is a bit like Stevens at times.

His main problem, like SO said yesterday, is that he doesnt really have a good B game to rely on.

He's awesome when on top form, really good, but when things aren't going his way he beats himself up way too much and can miss anything.

He's a bit like Fu in that regard, just awesome when in form, but their bad play is so bad it's almost amateur level. He needs to delevop a better B game I feel.

Still, you got to be proud of your man, not many have 3 ranking titles, especially one against the great Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Odrl

David Hendon mentioned yesterday that Walden has been struggling with a shoulder injury, so it becomes increasingly more painful and harder to play for him the longer matches go on. Not sure if that had any effect against Brecel though. :-)

Postby Skullman

sundaygirl wrote:I feel he plays his best as the underdog. I don't think he was comfortable being the highest ranked player left in the tournament.

Still he ran through the likes of Milkins, Swail and Burnett in the IC when he was definitely favourite to beat them. Maybe it's just inconsistency?

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
sundaygirl wrote:I feel he plays his best as the underdog. I don't think he was comfortable being the highest ranked player left in the tournament.

Still he ran through the likes of Milkins, Swail and Burnett in the IC when he was definitely favourite to beat them. Maybe it's just inconsistency?

Or maybe he just plays his best at overseas events, and maybe feels a bit of pressure in UK ones.

Either way, like I said, not many can say they have 3 ranking titles on their CV.

Postby Clara8633

sundaygirl wrote:After Ricky's 5-3 defeat from 3-0 up vs Luca Brecel in yesterday's Welsh Open QF it has become clear my new favourite player has much in common with my former favourite.

That wasn't as bad as Selby losing 6-4 after being 4-0 up against Oliver Lines at the IC qualifiers.