Topic locked

BetVictor Welsh Open Quarter Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Monday16th of February ~ Sunday 22nd of February at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

After four days, 128 players have been reduced to 8. It's been a tournament of shocks, with none of the top 8 making it to the quarter finals, leaving an eclectic mix of players in the tournament.

First we have the 'lesser' top 16 players, three time winner John Higgins, International Champion Ricky Walden, 2013 Welsh Open winner Stephen Maguire and 2013 Australian Open winner Marco Fu, all looking to add another trophy to their cabinet.

We have younger, up and coming players, Ben Woollaston, Gary Wilson and 19 year old Luca Brecel.

And then we have the last remaining Welsh hope, two time World Champion Mark Williams, in his first quarter final here since 2011 and aiming to be the first Welshman in the semi finals since Dominic Dale in 2004.

Who will make it to the semi finals?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Quarter Finals Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

masterdoctorgenius wrote:I will say it again. Some were laughing yesterday about this

this is higgims tournament to lose

I make Higgins 5th favorite to win behind Maguire, Marco Fu, Walden and Williams.

He has had a easy draw so far it will get miles harder Today against Mags

Postby hendry_fan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Neil wont admit it and say otherwise but that masters final thumping is still in his head hence choking matches lately

I don,t think it,s due to just that,but yeah,Neils performances since that match has been very dire,strange indeed. :roll:

Maybe he should hire GJ as his new manager/coach. :-D

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:I will say it again. Some were laughing yesterday about this

I make Higgins 5th favorite to win behind Maguire, Marco Fu, Walden and Williams.

Higgins hasn't beaten Maguire for many years now but if he can get somehow through to the semis he'll be very dangerous.

But I have a sneaky feeling that Luca might pull off a stunning maiden ranking event win.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Higgins hasn't beaten Maguire for many years now but if he can get somehow through to the semis he'll be very dangerous.

But I have a sneaky feeling that Luca might pull off a stunning maiden ranking event win.

Yes all Higgins needs is a Big win against a very top player like Mags. Mags has beaten Higgins 5 or 6 times in a row now believe it or not, and these don't include CL meetings, so all the harder for Higgins today.

As for Luca, yeah absolutely, the fact he did beat Walden at 2012 UK is a positive thing for Luca on this one.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:Higgins will beat maguire, walden and fu in the final

his tournament to lose

He's playing nowhere near good enough to say it's his to lose. But he has a good chance with all his experience and his overall pretty solid scoring.

Sometimes u feel that his certain players to lose cause top players out, draw opened up nicely