Topic locked

BetVictor Welsh Open Last 16 Discussion !!!

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Monday16th of February ~ Sunday 22nd of February at the Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

So, we reach the last 16 and go down to two tables now, the biggest surprise this round being the loss of defending champion Ronnie O'Sullivan, losing to Matthew Stevens for the first time in 12 years in a decider. Also, another top 8 seed, Mark Allen lost to Ben Woollaston in a decider as well.

In terms of a home player victory, both of Wales's rising young talents have lost and it's up to the old guard of Mark Williams and Matthew Stevens to get a Welsh name in the trophy this year.

Still there's some tough competition, with the likes of Mark Selby, Neil Robertson, Stephen Maguire and Judd Trump still in it, as well as other top 16 players looking for some form and ranking money before the Crucible, as well as young Luca Brecel, refinding some form and looking to fulfill his potential.

Who will make it to the quarter finals?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 16 Discussion !!!

Postby Skullman

Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu Stevens leads 8-6
Mark Williams v Judd Trump Trump leads 4-2
Ben Woollaston v Allister Carter Woollaston leads 2-1
Gary Wilson v Neil Robertson Robertson leads 1-0
------------------------------------
Michael Georgiou v John Higgins Higgins leads 1-0
Stephen Maguire v Alan McManus Maguire leads 8-3
Stuart Bingham v Ricky Walden Bingham leads 3-2
Luca Brecel v Mark Selby Selby leads 1-0

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu Stevens leads 8-6
Mark Williams v Judd Trump Trump 4-2

Judd trumping himself again

Postby Andre147

gcjdavid wrote:Do you think Stevens can win a 4th consecutive decider?

It's amazing isn't it... I mean, if this was Selby it was like order of the day, but we're talking about Matthew Stevens here, a player who has this habit of chocking deciders all over the shop.

Amazingly he has won 3, the first against Lines, coming from 3-1 down, the 2nd against Doherty, and now the 3rd v Ronnie, a player he hadn't beaten for 12 years.

If Ronnie had played reasonably well he would have easily won that match 4-0 or 4-1 given Matthew didn't play well himself to win the match.

Anyway, I wouldn't put it past him to win another against Fu.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Jason Francis ‏@Snookerlegends Huge congratulations to Rory McLeod and his wife on the birth of their daughter today, named Bezma.

Did you know that Bezma means 'free of charge' in Latvian? You can have that little nugget... free of charge

Postby mantorok

Skullman wrote:Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu Stevens leads 8-6
Mark Williams v Judd Trump Trump leads 4-2

Any shock results in this lot you reckon? How's Trump been playing?

Postby SnookerEd25

Potential upsets a-plenty, i reckon.

Bingham-Walden is 50/50, I think Luca will give a good account of himself, but Selby will know too much. Robertson should be too strong for Wilson, but all the others could go to the underdog. If I had to pick 3, i'd back Stevens, Woolaston & McManus...

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:
gcjdavid wrote:Do you think Stevens can win a 4th consecutive decider?

It's amazing isn't it... I mean, if this was Selby it was like order of the day, but we're talking about Matthew Stevens here, a player who has this habit of chocking deciders all over the shop.

Amazingly he has won 3, the first against Lines, coming from 3-1 down, the 2nd against Doherty, and now the 3rd v Ronnie, a player he hadn't beaten for 12 years.

If Ronnie had played reasonably well he would have easily won that match 4-0 or 4-1 given Matthew didn't play well himself to win the match.

Anyway, I wouldn't put it past him to win another against Fu.

Ronnie had his chances to put Stevens away not only in the decider but throughout the match but for some reason he seemed to be in his *can,t be bovered* modus.

At the end of the day it aint Stevens problem if Ronnie could,nt be bovered.
Only Ronnie really knows if he really was in this modus or not yesterday and if he indeed was,i can,t figure out why he ended up playin the way he did,i mean he,s the only one (at least for a good few years) who has a chance of beating Hendrys title records and pinching certain other records,only time will tell just how long he can keep up adding to his silverware.

If he had ended up winning this Welsh open,then he would have claimed the record itself as it would mean he,d of won it a record breaking 4 times,but as it is he still shares that record with Hendry,as both have won it 3 times.

Ah well,he lost yesterday,ok,even if he had of won he,d still have a bit to go to end up winning it,but it was a waste of a chance,he,s only himself to blame. :roll:

Postby Skullman

hendry_fan wrote:
If he had ended up winning this Welsh open,then he would have claimed the record itself as it would mean he,d of won it a record breaking 4 times,but as it is he still shares that record with Hendry,as both have won it 3 times.

Higgins has also won this tournament thrice.

Postby SnookerFan

Mark Allen is killing time at an airport on Twitter, and asked people to tweet him some questions. So I asked what he made of the venue.

He was slightly kinder in his opinion.

Mark Allen ‏@pistol147 thought it was great. Not sure if if have liked it round the back but always gonna have that problem at 128 venues

Postby hendry_fan

Skullman wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:

Higgins has also won this tournament thrice.

Thanks for that Skullie!,your correct,how on earth did i forget good auld John Haggis. :emb:

Now then,Johns still in this tourney,so he has the chance to grab that record. :-D

Postby Andre147

Given Haggins consistency of late he might well lose to Georgiou this round rofl so dont get your hopes too high for him.

He also reached Quarter-Finals here last year and then Ronnie beat him. Same could happen if both him and Mags go through.