Post a reply

Ronnie working as a TV pundit for Eurosport

Postby Snooker Overdrive

"RONNIE O’SULLIVAN will be playing a dual role at this week’s Kreativ Dental German Masters in Berlin.

As well as competing, O’Sullivan will be a television pundit for British Eurosport’s coverage of the event, which begins on Wednesday.

O’Sullivan has presented his own magazine programme on Eurosport for the last year. The Ronnie O’Sullivan Show has been well received as the five times world champion conducted interviews, demonstrated masterclasses and gave a personal view of the sport.

He impressed in drawing interesting answers from the likes of Neil Robertson, Jimmy White, Steve Davis and Barry Hearn. This is not as easy as it looks, with lights, cameras and a TV crew surrounding you, and when it isn’t something you are used to doing but O’Sullivan’s natural personality came through.

He admits he has enjoyed it and is now about to become a studio pundit alongside British Eurosport’s other guest experts, Jimmy White and Neal Foulds. Colin Murray, the Talksport presenter, will front the programmes, which begin 15 minutes before each match.

O’Sullivan is of course primarily in Berlin as a player and faces Mark Davis, who beat him in the group 5 final of the Championship League last week, in the first round."

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... -in-berlin

Re: Ronnie working as a TV pundit for Eurosport

Postby Cloud Strife

Nice to see Eurosport going all out with their snooker
coverage for once. Normally they just broadcast the matches, don't they? I don't recall them ever having a studio broadcast with pundits and a presenter before.

It's great for the German Masters, makes it seem like a big deal, not that it wasn't before.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan is a money hussy. I wonder how much he is being paid for this garbage?

lol, I don't think he would do very well as a commentator actually, he commented a couple of times at Power Snooker and even though that type fo Snooker was garbage, you could see Ronnie was commentating like if he were the player, and he often said many attacking shots that he would usually play but the actual player didn't play them, so it felt a bit awkward listening to him.

However' we'll see how it works out, and you can't ssay he's only in it for money, ok it may be a part but fact remains his show at ES was a brilliant one, with wonderful interviews with Robbo, Jimmy, Steve, Hearn, as well as going to the Academies and giving his Masterclass, this Ronnie show was a sucess no doubt as it was far from focused exclusively on Ronnie.

But as I say, we'll see how working as a TV pundit for ES works out, he's just a pundit this time so it may actually work well, just like the Ronnie show did. Hopefully though this won't distract him too much from the main goal, which is winning this title.

Postby shankly

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan is a money hussy. I wonder how much he is being paid for this garbage?

lol, I don't think he would do very well as a commentator actually, he commented a couple of times at Power Snooker and even though that type fo Snooker was garbage, you could see Ronnie was commentating like if he were the player, and he often said many attacking shots that he would usually play but the actual player didn't play them, so it felt a bit awkward listening to him.

I actually think he plays the percentages pretty well nowadays. And he's not more attacking that most of the other top and young players anyway.

Hendry often suggests very attacking shots that most pros don't play too, but I don't think it detracts from the quality of his commentary at all. It's nice to hear how someone (particularly as accomplished as Hendry/O'Sullivan) sees the game, everyone knows when it comes to snooker there's more than one way of skinning a cat. No one said that commentary had to be all about predicting the shot correctly; sometimes providing an alternate view is just as interesting and insightful.

That said, I haven't heard any of the Ronnie power snooker commentary you referenced! Is it on youtube anywhere?

Postby shankly

Of course he is. But for me personally pre- and post-match shows add value to the broadcast. There's obviously a market for it (suckers like me) so I don't begrudge him or any of the pundits the money they earn. :-)

Postby vodkadiet

A few years ago O'Sullivan was doing everything he could to ruin the sport with his antics, and now all of a sudden these morons want to seek out his opinion on everything, for a nice pay cheque.

Postby Roland

I think he's been a revelation on his TV show. What concerns me more is Colin Murray and the great Jimmy White being involved. I love Jimmy but he's not pundit/commentator material

Postby The Cueist

I quite agree roland in that he is not an obvious choice
For the role of a pundit.

That is not to say that Jimmy White is not articulate
He has good grasp of english and that comes across in post mstch interviews.

All the same he has to earn a living and after a whilr he may improve.

I say give him a chance.

Postby SnookerFan

Roland wrote:I think he's been a revelation on his TV show. What concerns me more is Colin Murray and the great Jimmy White being involved. I love Jimmy but he's not pundit/commentator material

Jimmy is much better than Colin Murray Selecta.