Post a reply

Will anyone win the true triple crown again?

Postby AC or LT?

With it being nearly 12 years since Williams won the triple crown and Davis and Hendry being the only others besides him to do it, is it foreseeable that any player could achieve the triple crown either next season or in those that follow or is it just too difficult now with 128 players vying for all three tournaments?

Re: Will anyone win the true triple crown again?

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:With it being nearly 12 years since Williams won the triple crown and Davis and Hendry being the only others besides him to do it, is it foreseeable that any player could achieve the triple crown either next season or in those that follow or is it just too difficult now with 128 players vying for all three tournaments?

Selby came close last season, but lost in the Final of UK and Masters to Robbo and Ronnie respectively.

I think it could be done, and guess what, if player like Ding were to win the Crucible in a near future and start winning tournaments in the UK again, I wouldnt be surprised if he did win all 3 in same season.

Ding, Robbo or Selby doing it wouldn't surprise me much.

Postby SnookerFan

Odrl wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:It'll happen eventually, but may not be soon.

Ronnie could do it if he really wanted.

So if he really wanted to win the Masters, what would he have done differently? :-)

PLAYED BETTER! :grrr:

rofl You know what I mean... I mean, he's perhaps the most likely at the moment.

Postby Odrl

I think O'Sullivan, Selby and Robertson have the game and the mindset to come close at this point in time, but we rarely see anyone playing strongly in all three tournaments these days. The Masters-WC double has not been done at all since the Masters was moved to January, while the UK-WC double was done by O'Sullivan in 07/08 and by Higgins in 10/11 in the reasonably recent past. Selby is the only player to win the UK and the Masters back to back in this period, in 12/13.

Of course there isn't really any break between seasons anymore, so I think if someone did it in the calendar year, or indeed won the WC first, followed by the UK and Masters, it would be just as impressive really. Williams did it when prime O'Sullivan and Higgins were around, among other players, so I don't see why it couldn't be done in today's competition. Except for the fact that no one is as consistently strong as Williams was back then of course. ;-)

Postby Wildey

Ronnie79 wrote:Cant see it happening in this era too many good players about

Thats a Cop out.

it can be done and will be done if players dont think negatively about to many good players about bull.