Topic locked

Best World Championship ever in the making?

Postby Tubberlad

Okay, so I've only been lucky enough to see eleven, but of those eleven I haven't seen anything like the drama we've witnessed so far at this World Championship.

Just eight days in, we've had a thrilling decider between Stephen Hendry and Anda Zhang, a nailbiting clash between Steve Davis & Mark King, but what has unfolded today must surely be a contender for the best day's snooker in terms of utter theatre.

Steve Davis completed an astonishing 13-11 win over defending champion John Higgins, a thoroughly deserved victory for the Nugget. Having played his best snooker for years in the opening session, he bravely clung on in spite of the Higgins onslaught, and registered the biggest shock in Crucible history. Is he the greatest ever? Not for me to say, I missed his heyday, but achievements at this stage of his career beggar belief.

And as if the blood pressure wasn't raised enough, Neil Robertson gave his fans something to scream about with a sensational comeback from Martin Gould. I missed last night's session as I was on the town, and apparently Gould was awesome. But Robertson always looked to have him under the cosh, and must now be a really serious title contender. Unless Steve has something to say about that of course.....

Mark Williams & Ronnie O'Sullivan, the Rocket flowing nicely as he moved 4-1 up, but Williams has levelled the session. Is their another cracker in store between these heavyweights?

It's been a joy to watch, a maximum would make it, but we won't be fussy. The rest of the event has a lot to live up to if this opening week was anything to go by.

Re: Best World Championship ever in the making?

Postby Roland

I would say today the tournament has really got going. It's way too early to call it the best ever, but if Selby wins then it will be :ba:

Up till now though, there have been quite a lot of one sided first round matches and there's a definite gulf between the top players and the qualifiers on the whole and it was shown up in round 1. Obvious exceptions but look at the close/shock matches - Dott who should be top 16 anyway, Ebdon on the way down playing rubbish, Mark Davis having a great season, Ryan Day having a mare, Liang put a good fight at the end but he's top 16 next year anyway, King v Davis was always going to be a battle and they are pretty similar in ability, and we've seen Martin Gould and Zhang Anda against two out of form veterans.

But, the tournament starts here and middle Saturday hasn't disappointed although it's now over because tonights matches aren't going to be as high drama. Dott will finish off Maguire and Carter v Perry (a rematch of the 2008 semi) is only just starting.

Postby Smart

Its been an awesome days snooker - Davis brown ball double being the highlight, I literally shouted out a massvie "come on" when he played that and got the blue developed perfect.

Great comeback from Robbo, feel a bit for Gouldy who just could not reproduce the form of yesterday.

One sour note alluded to by WT was Robbo leaving the arena twice for 5 minutes plus, WT called it un-sporting and tainted the match. I have to agree cos Gouldy had been out and back in again in that time and definitely it was gamesmanship that went too far.

I seriously doubt Robbo as a title contender ........ <ok>

Postby Casey

Should we not wait to hear what Robbo has to say about it? He really could have had to crap.

As for Willie, I very much like him but today he was very biased towards Gould and Davis :redneck:

Postby Casey

<laugh> :stir:

What about the Ref lifting the white?

Also doesn’t a WSA official follow the player out? Surely they would be audio witness to any toilet incidents <laugh>

Postby Lucky

case_master wc wrote:<laugh> :stir:

Also doesn’t a WSA official follow the player out? Surely they would be audio witness to any toilet incidents <laugh>

A quick sniff should be all it takes......if it smells like a stables, then its all ok, if not :chin:

Postby Casey

Lucky balls wrote:
case_master wc wrote:<laugh> :stir:

A quick sniff should be all it takes......if it smells like a stables, then its all ok, if not :chin:

<laugh>

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

Off the top of my head I think it'll need to pick up a bit to better the best WC of recent years - that of 2002

Still a very enjoyable championship this year . I did feel gutted for Martin Gould but was pleased for Steve Davis and the fathers for justice :D

Edited to add - Go on Dotty