Post a reply

Lee Spick

Postby SnookerFan

A few mentions on twitter that Lee Spick died.

Michael Holt ‏@hitmanholt R.I.P. Lee Spick. So sad.

World Snooker ‏@WorldSnooker1 Very sad to hear today that former English under-15 champion Lee Spick has died at the age of 34

Sad news. :rip:

Re: Lee Spick

Postby Andre147

Was he ill or something? Such a young age.

:rip:

Postby fridge46

World Snooker Article:

"It is with great sadness we learned today that Lee Spick has died at the age of 34.

Mansfield-based Spick had suffered from a problem with his liver and was being treated in hospital.

Former tour player Gary Wilkinson said: "I saw Lee a couple of days ago and was due to see him again tonight. He'd had a seizure and was in intensive care but we hoped he'd get better. He was a lovely lad but lost his way recently.

"I remember when he came through as a player, he was very talented. We practised together and became mates. It's sad that he never achieved what he could have done."

Spick came through Q School in 2013 to earn a two-year tour card, though he entered only two tournaments last season and had not played this season.

The former English under-15 champion previously played several seasons on the main tour. In 2006 he came close to qualifying for the Crucible, beating Ricky Walden 10-8 in the penultimate qualifying round before losing 10-9 to John Parrott. Three years later he was denied at the final hurdle again, beaten 10-8 by Steve Davis. Spick also won a Challenge Tour event in 2002, beating Joe Delaney in the final."

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Was he ill or something? Such a young age.

Less than six months older than me. So very sad.

Postby vodkadiet

He beat Ding Junhui in world qualifying one year.

Postby AC or LT?

Does anyone know the cause of his liver problems? If it was what the mind first wanders too (especially with him not playing in any tournaments recently) then it's a shame nobody around him was able to help him....

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:Does anyone know the cause of his liver problems? If it was what the mind first wanders too (especially with him not playing in any tournaments recently) then it's a shame nobody around him was able to help him....

Alex Higgins was similar, he had throat cancer but was cured from it, but after that his bad drinking habits started again and he wouldn't eat properly. He had friends, namely Jimmy, but he wouldn't listen to them and due to his stubbornness he died.

Not saying Spick was like Alex, but bad habits often get the better of you.

Postby Wildey

RIP Lee Spick.

Not a player i knew much about dont think i ever seen him play.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:RIP Lee Spick.

Not a player i knew much about dont think i ever seen him play.

Not sure I did either, to be honest. Though recognised the name, obviously. His most successful runs in tournaments was a few last 48 appearances. Shame we never got to see more of him.

Postby Andy Spark

RIP Lee Spick :-(

I'm not saying that this was necessarily an influence on Lee, but at its highest level snooker is psychologically very tough. It's a brutal game and often I think the way the pro game is set up these days, that it's just a bit too psychologically tough.

Postby The Cueist

Very sad to hear of this player passing at such a young age .
Bit of a shock to be honest .
RIP Lee

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:RIP Lee Spick :-(

I'm not saying that this was necessarily an influence on Lee, but at its highest level snooker is psychologically very tough. It's a brutal game and often I think the way the pro game is set up these days, that it's just a bit too psychologically tough.

well you cant blame the game on Lee Spick demise he hardly played any matches he played only 31 matches in the last 5 season Mark Selby has played 32 this season alone and hes had a bad season.

Postby The Cueist

I think andy is merely summising about possible contributary factors .

I think Andy makes a good point .

Postby Wildey

All sort of Life factors can contribute to what happened to Lee Spick. some people deal better with life than others there's nothing nobody can do to stop whats gone on for generations.

Depression, Alcoholism can strike anyone at any time.

Postby The Cueist

Of course , And if there was an answer to these problems or a remedy even then the statistics would show less of untimely demises.

Seems to me that Lee Spick loved his children and his
Split with hos partner and not having access to see them troubked him greatly.

Of course snooker took a backseat while he fought his
Corner .

Life is not stress free for any of us , As you say , We all deal with the stresses and strains differently .

Still was very shocked to learn of the death of a relatively young man.
My heart goes out to his family .

Postby vodkadiet

I don't think he ever made a tv appearance.