33%
Shaun Murphy, easily
No votes
Shaun Murphy, just
22%

Total votes : 9

World Championships 2010 R2: Ding vs Murphy

Postby Bourne

Another mouthwatering round-two match at the Crucible takes place between the last two UK Champions and members of the provisional top-eight.

Ding Junhui has had a fantastic season up to this point, reaching the finals of the Grand Prix and China, with a delightful win in the UK Championship inbetween. During that tournament, he beat the 2005 World Champion comfortably on his way to victory, and in their other match in the last two years Ding also won at the Masters last year. Ding won his round-one match with ease against Stuart Pettman which arguably says more about his opponent's ineptitude than Ding playing especially good snooker but the Chinese number-one's record at the Crucible in recent years hasn't been so good so a comfortable win was very much welcomed.

Shaun Murphy looked to be cruising to a win in R1 against Gerard Greene, 9-2 and in total control before letting the Northern Irishman back into the match. Murphy produced a cool 87 break in the 17th frame to seal his passage but knows he must improve to reach another Crucible quarter-final. His season up to now has been pretty poor, just a solitary semi-final in the first ranking event of the season to show for it, but he has form at this particular event.

A big name is guaranteed to go out here, who do you think it will be ? Ding is number-one on the one-year list but can he stretch his lead ? Will Murphy salvage a poor season into a sensational one here this fortnight ?
Last edited by Bourne on 24 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: World Championships 2010 R2: Ding vs Murphy

Postby Bourne

Afternoon start, so no sleepy Ding performance :)

I just have a feeling this has decider written all over it for some reason, very nervy match but i'm hopeful Ding can fight his way through somehow, he seems to have an aura about him these days.

Postby SnookerFan

I just have a feeling I can't shake that Murphy will win this one.

The thing is, it's not based on anything. Ding won the UK Championship this year, and has reached other finals. I liked Ding better, and would prefer he win. He needs to prove himself at the world's biggest stage this year, I feel.

However, you can never count out Murphy. Not the flamboyant potter or all out attacker like Ding, but he's a hell of a tough match-player to beat.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:However, you can never count out Murphy. Not the flamboyant potter or all out attacker like Ding, but he's a hell of a tough match-player to beat.

Its funny you should write that..... cos in 2005 (when Murphy won it) Murphy was the flamboyant potter with a very aggressive game. Since then he has modified his game as it was not one that could consistently be relied upon.

By the same token I would not call Ding a flamboyant potter or all out attacker...... this is just how I see it. Ding has a great long game and is devastating in the balls. Murphy has a decent long game and is decent in the balls - but his breakbuilding lets him down a lot IMHO. He is not the best with cannons etc - whereas Ding is very very good in this department.

Sorry this was not meant to pull your comments apart - but I guess we all see it slightly different.

A great game in prospect..... come on DING :D

Postby Bourne

andreiolay212 wrote:Ding was imo very good he was playing badly but still managed to get a nice lead against a class act, a sign of a World champion :bowdown: :bowdown:

I was a bit worried with Murphy taking the last frame before the mid-session interval that he'd take heart from that but Ding played some really solid matchplay in the second half. I don't think he's peaking just yet but that's a good thing, when he wants to step up the gears he can.

Postby andreiolay212

Agree with that assessment Bourne i actually think this will be his hardest match because he is playing a class player and is still not hitting form so I thought he played well think he will win 13-7 he will win it in the second session with a good lead

Postby Bourne

Ding is yet to lose a session this tournament which is a nice little quirk to hold onto for as long as possible. 13-7 will do me absolutely fine !

Postby Bourne

8-8 :frown: Not a good session this morning, Murphy didn't exactly go out there and steal the initiative, they were both poor but Ding couldn't ram home the advantage when 8-6 up and could well have put the match almost out of Shaun's reach. Decider still looks more than possible.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I had €1,014 going on Ding, Bourne. Bloke that beat him, the difference, was, that, when Shaun Murphy went 11-10, Shaun Murphy started to play to win & Ding Jun Hui started playing not too lose, BIG DIFFERENCE. Gutted this end, genuine. Glad Rooney is gonna' be as fit as Mark Selby. :)

Postby Bourne

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I had €1,014 going on Ding, Bourne. Bloke that beat him, the difference, was, that, when Shaun Murphy went 11-10, Shaun Murphy started to play to win & Ding Jun Hui started playing not too lose, BIG DIFFERENCE. Gutted this end, genuine. Glad Rooney is gonna' be as fit as Mark Selby. :)

Yeh totally agree with everything you said, just feel a bit empty after that loss, really thought Shaun was there for the taking in the first couple of sessions but he just couldn't put the foot down and pull away. Missed opportunity but he's young (still only 23 ...) and will get plenty more chances. <ok>

Postby The Cueist

andreiolay212 wrote:Ding should have won that match but in the important frames Murphy won 23 years of age had a great season and is 5th in the world after this tournemant so pretty good.

I couldnt agree with you more fella. :D :D You got it about right,Ding will be back.,What i liked about the match was that there was no toilet break fandango's to upset either player,Ding taker a bow mate,Robertson you are a bowel. ;) ;) <cool>