Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Finals :Allister Carter v Neil Roberts

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:Robbo is an underachiever, should have won the World at least twice by now. At his best his game is easily as good as that of two times World Champ Williams. He's just a rocksolid player in all departments.

Well this year he was unlucky enough to meet Selby on a mission in the semis. Before that, I don't think his game was up at this level. His safety was a bit too weak and his breakbuilding wasn't as good as it is now. Still he has a few more goes yet.

Postby Andre147

I agree with TR, at his best Robbo is very much MJW like, I think he can too be twice Crucible winner.

What a cracking match in prospect against Ronnie, if Neil plays like this we have a cracking match in our hands. Ronnie though has seen it all before so he wont be phased by this performance from Robbo, Ronnie will too up his game when needed. This reminds me, Robbo played very well against Ali at CoC 2013 to beat him, then also played Ronnie in semis and lost 6-5. I wouldnt bet against it something similar again this tournament.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:Robbo is an underachiever, should have won the World at least twice by now. At his best his game is easily as good as that of two times World Champ Williams. He's just a rocksolid player in all departments.

Three things. He sometimes is very rusty early on in a tournament (Milkins 2013). I also don't think he's as consistent as a prime Williams. And last but not least he doesn't have the best h2h record against players like Ding, Ronnie and Trump.

However I still can't believe Neil lost last year's World semi final. He was unplayable until the semis and he had Selby where he wanted him at 14-14. That strange in off after trying to split the reds in the next frame was the turning point.

Postby Skullman

I'd say that was more Higgins, with the whole package of complete safety lockout and heavy scoring.

Also, I remember that match in 2013 well, and then Ronnie was doing to Robbo what Neil did to Carter today up to 5-3. I haven't seen his match with Fu, so I don't know what state his safety game's in, but it'll have to be good.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:I'd say that was more Higgins, with the whole package of complete safety lockout and heavy scoring.

Also, I remember that match in 2013 well, and then Ronnie was doing to Robbo what Neil did to Carter today up to 5-3. I haven't seen his match with Fu, so I don't know what state his safety game's in, but it'll have to be good.

It will be I'm sure, he'll have to play almost the same way he does against Trump.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Three things. He sometimes is very rusty early on in a tournament (Milkins 2013). I also don't think he's as consistent as a prime Williams. And last but not least he doesn't have the best h2h record against players like Ding, Ronnie and Trump.

However I still can't believe Neil lost last year's World semi final. He was unplayable until the semis and he had Selby where he wanted him at 14-14. That strange in off after trying to split the reds in the next frame was the turning point.

I wouldn't say that. They were neck and neck for the entire session.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie vs Robbo, a match which was bound to happen. It's strange how many times they avoided each other in big tournaments. You'd think that they should play each other much more often ,considering how good they are.

It'll be a fantastic match I suppose on Saturday and if Robbo plays like this, Ronnie really has to play his best game to win that one. Whatever happens, we'll have a worthy finalist at the end of the day.

Ronnie knows in the back of his mind that this season is probably his last chance to win the Triple crown in the same season and he will try what he can to achieve that.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:I agree with TR, at his best Robbo is very much MJW like, I think he can too be twice Crucible winner.

What a cracking match in prospect against Ronnie, if Neil plays like this we have a cracking match in our hands. Ronnie though has seen it all before so he wont be phased by this performance from Robbo, Ronnie will too up his game when needed. This reminds me, Robbo played very well against Ali at CoC 2013 to beat him, then also played Ronnie in semis and lost 6-5. I wouldnt bet against it something similar again this tournament.

Robbo v Ronnie matches never disappoint. :-D Except that 2010 World Open final.

I think Ronnie enjoys playing Robbo very much, just like Williams and Ding.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:I'd say that was more Higgins, with the whole package of complete safety lockout and heavy scoring.

Ronnie's safety game was superb. Even Hendry highlighted that <laugh>

Postby Andy Spark

That's the best I've ever seen Robertson play, almost as good as Ronnie's quarter-final last year! I think Ronnie missed just two balls in live play against Walden while I think Robertson missed about four here, but still superb snooker. If Robertson plays that well against Ronnie on Saturday then you would have to favour Robertson, however, the chances are he won't and Ronnie's B game at the moment is quite a bit better than Robertson's B game.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Three things. He sometimes is very rusty early on in a tournament (Milkins 2013). I also don't think he's as consistent as a prime Williams. And last but not least he doesn't have the best h2h record against players like Ding, Ronnie and Trump.

I wouldn't say that. They were neck and neck for the entire session.

Selby always was in front, wasn't he? Robbo had a great chance to take the lead at that point.
Last edited by Snooker Overdrive on 15 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Skullman

Andy Spark wrote:That's the best I've ever seen Robertson play, almost as good as Ronnie's quarter-final last year! I think Ronnie missed just two balls in live play against Walden while I think Robertson missed about four here, but still superb snooker. If Robertson plays that well against Ronnie on Saturday then you would have to favour Robertson, however, the chances are he won't and Ronnie's B game at the moment is quite a bit better than Robertson's B game.

I'd say Robbo's the only other person who might be able to do a Selby on him (well considering Higgins is a fraction of what he was).

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:That's the best I've ever seen Robertson play, almost as good as Ronnie's quarter-final last year! I think Ronnie missed just two balls in live play against Walden while I think Robertson missed about four here, but still superb snooker. If Robertson plays that well against Ronnie on Saturday then you would have to favour Robertson, however, the chances are he won't and Ronnie's B game at the moment is quite a bit better than Robertson's B game.

I'd say Robbo's the only other person who might be able to do a Selby on him (well considering Higgins is a fraction of what he was).

I wouldn't recommend copying Selby at the moment :gag:

Postby TheRocket

Skullman wrote:

If this means that he's gonna end up like Selby did against Ronnie in last years Masters, I'd be very happy about that. :evilgrin:

Postby Andre147

Robbo saying that was one of his best performances in his career, and I think he's right:

"It was one of the best matches I've played in my career, every department was spot on," said Robertson. "I knew the crowd would be on Ali's side and understandably so. I prepared myself well for that. I scored heavily and my safety was brilliant, I can't fault my performance. I knew that if I played well the crowd would appreciate it, even though they were cheering Ali on when I made a mistake."

Ahead of Ronnie's cracker:

"If it bleeds you can kill it, right? If you can get on top of him and put him under pressure, he'll make mistakes like anyone else. And you have to capitalise on your chances.

I've got a good conversion rate of winning tournaments after beating Ronnie and I rise to the occasion when I play him. We always have good matches and there's a lot of mutual respect there. The way I've beaten him in the past is by attacking him and scoring heavily, so that's what I'll try to do. It's going to be a great occasion to play him in front of a packed crowd. This arena is special because it's as similar to the old Wembley Conference Centre as you can get. It's up there with the Crucible in terms of places to play."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 59,00.html

lol that expression from Robbo rofl he's watching too much of Predator <laugh> but he has the right attitute ahead of this match, and that's what you got to do to beat Ronnie.

But hopefully that won't help him winning and we'll see a repeat of 2013 CoC Semi Best of 11 <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Skullman wrote:Well if eating bird food is so good for him, surely eating the eaters of bird foot is even better? :john:

Yes, 'bird flu' and 'Mad Cow Disease' comes from eating rice and asparagus. :roll: