Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Ding Junhui v Joe Perry !

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:
TheRocket wrote:If he wins another 2 WC's before he will be gone in 2 years according to you, I will be happy about that lol.

Knowing him he could last another 5 wouldn't put it past him! But he is the past people need to focus on the future

Its up to the "future" to be able to beat him then. If a 39 year old can beat these young players then they need to step it up if they wanna compete with Ronnie and send him packing.

I for one hope he plays for as long as he wishes and hopefully he can add a few more titles, 2 more Worlds would be ideal but I dont care much, he has nothing left to prove so he could retire tomorrow and I couldnt have been happier.

Hopefully he wont retire tomorrow or during this tournament rofl

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
TheRocket wrote:If he wins another 2 WC's before he will be gone in 2 years according to you, I will be happy about that lol.

Knowing him he could last another 5 wouldn't put it past him! But he is the past people need to focus on the future

Its up to the "future" to be able to beat him then. If a 39 year old can beat these young players then they need to step it up if they wanna compete with Ronnie and send him packing.

I for one hope he plays for as long as he wishes and hopefully he can add a few more titles, 2 more Worlds would be ideal but I dont care much, he has nothing left to prove so he could retire tomorrow and I couldnt have been happier.

What you have to remember is he has a very complex social life...VERY COMPLEX. I'm amazed this hasn't impacted negatively on him so far but...IT WILL. for years it was negatively actually and stopped him reaching his full potential and as he said himself he was a snooker player reborn. I think it's only his Dad and this weirdo Peters that have kept him on tracks really. I really don't like Peters. Yes for short term gain these mind games are good but trust me over 5-10 years these things break people. I KNOW. These chimp games are short term and I don't look forward to the future of Ronnie

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

What you have to remember is he has a very complex social life...VERY COMPLEX. I'm amazed this hasn't impacted negatively on him so far but...IT WILL. for years it was negatively actually and stopped him reaching his full potential and as he said himself he was a snooker player reborn. I think it's only his Dad and this weirdo Peters that have kept him on tracks really. I really don't like Peters. Yes for short term gain these mind games are good but trust me over 5-10 years these things break people. I KNOW. These chimp games are short term and I don't look forward to the future of Ronnie

As long as the short term means he's still playing, then I dont care much. Over 5-10 years if starts affecting him he may not be around playing anymore so it certainly wont hurt his career. Though I dont know what you actually mean by breaking him? You mean mentally? It might do, but fact remains if Steve Peters hadnt come along Ronnie wouldnt have able to deal with emotions so much better and would have lost so many recent matches when not playing at his best, so like you said he was a Snooker player reborn after 2011 when most people back then were saying he would never ever win another Worlds or even another significant title. He proved them wrong though, yet again, and is still proving them wrong. Long may he continue to do it, but I say it again he doesnt have anything else to prove, anything from here is a bonus really.

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

As long as the short term means he's still playing, then I dont care much. Over 5-10 years if starts affecting him he may not be around playing anymore so it certainly wont hurt his career. Though I dont know what you actually mean by breaking him? You mean mentally? It might do, but fact remains if Steve Peters hadnt come along Ronnie wouldnt have able to deal with emotions so much better and would have lost so many recent matches when not playing at his best, so like you said he was a Snooker player reborn after 2011 when most people back then were saying he would never ever win another Worlds or even another significant title. He proved them wrong though, yet again, and is still proving them wrong. Long may he continue to do it, but I say it again he doesnt have anything else to prove, anything from here is a bonus really.

I'd love Ronnie to be around for another 5 years proving everybody wrong and he can do that!But look how he was at the end of the UK final! He was broken yet his chimp training kept him going..that is not good for his state of mind in the future. This chimp training is akin to what SAS soldiers get before they go out and act like robots and kill people!!! Yes it works but long term it will buck him up because his link between his mind and what is best for him is lost. Muhammed Ali had the same problem and I don't want to see the best snooker player ever screwed up long term because some fans want to see him go on for another few years!!

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Ding Junhui will never win the world title. He isn't mentally strong enough.

Who will win all the World Titles from 2018 to 2025 years then? You also ruled out Trump a few years ago.

I may have ruled out Trump a few years ago, but I would say he is more likely than Ding Junhui. I think Ding Junhui is now mentally battered by the game, and the constant pressure has taken its toll. He seems like he has lost belief, and the mental scars have hurt him.

As for 2018-2025, who can say? Matt Selt may be picking up his 11th straight world title in 2025. He has every chance the way he played in Crondon Park last week!

Postby NNear

I think Steve Peters is teaching Ronnie how to be self sufficient so that he always has the honest link between his actions and his accountability rather than programming him like a puppet master, where if the strings are cut one would free fall through nothingness. In short, I doubt Steve Peters is making Ronnie baseless/without foundation -- he is not a hypnotist nor is he dogmatic.

Postby Paddpotter

NNear wrote:I think Steve Peters is teaching Ronnie how to be self sufficient so that he always has the honest link between his actions and his accountability rather than programming him like a puppet master, where if the strings are cut one would free fall through nothingness. In short, I doubt Steve Peters is making Ronnie baseless/without foundation -- he is not a hypnotist nor is he dogmatic.

Mate I respect you for your snooker opinions.. I read everybody on here and you are all very passionate and knowledgeable about snooker. But I just don't agree with these 'mind games' long term for somebody like Ronnie. They do do work and he is evidence of that but honestly long term these can have real detrimental affects for somebody like him. I just don't want to see him screwed up for the sake of an extra few years

Postby Paddpotter

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Ding Junhui will never win the world title. He isn't mentally strong enough.

Who will win all the World Titles from 2018 to 2025 years then? You also ruled out Trump a few years ago.

I may have ruled out Trump a few years ago, but I would say he is more likely than Ding Junhui. I think Ding Junhui is now mentally battered by the game, and the constant pressure has taken its toll. He seems like he has lost belief, and the mental scars have hurt him.

As for 2018-2025, who can say? Matt Selt may be picking up his 11th straight world title in 2025. He has every chance the way he played in Crondon Park last week!

Matt is a Villa fan leave him alone!!!

Postby NNear

Paddpotter wrote:
NNear wrote:I think Steve Peters is teaching Ronnie how to be self sufficient so that he always has the honest link between his actions and his accountability rather than programming him like a puppet master, where if the strings are cut one would free fall through nothingness. In short, I doubt Steve Peters is making Ronnie baseless/without foundation -- he is not a hypnotist nor is he dogmatic.

Mate I respect you for your snooker opinions.. I read everybody on here and you are all very passionate and knowledgeable about snooker. But I just don't agree with these 'mind games' long term for somebody like Ronnie. They do do work and he is evidence of that but honestly long term these can have real detrimental affects for somebody like him. I just don't want to see him screwed up for the sake of an extra few years

I think at some point Ronnie will let Steve Peters go, having absorbed the learnings he felt he needed. He can still read his books and whatnot but he's always been a man who likes to take control of his own life. He seeks help to improve his game and is open minded and receptive but has always been his own man and quite ruthless in that regard. I understand you're concerned but I think Ronnie will be fine. Let's hope so anyway...

Postby Paddpotter

NNear wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

I think at some point Ronnie will let Steve Peters go, having absorbed the learnings he felt he needed. He can still read his books and whatnot but he's always been a man who likes to take control of his own life. He seeks help to improve his game and is open minded and receptive but has always been his own man and quite ruthless in that regard. I understand you're concerned but I think Ronnie will be fine. Let's hope so anyway...

I hope you are correct! I could write so many paragraphs now to back myself up but I don't want to bore anybody as this is a snooker site after all. As you said lets hope so anyway.

Postby Clara8633

SnookerFan wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:Just saw the scoreline of Ding v Perry today

Ding :shock:

I was hoping for Ding vs Higgins as my match tomorrow, instead I got a ticket to Allen vs Perry.

Still, you get to watch a Masters QF :)

I won't ever get the chance. But since I live near the CoC, I'll probably watch that next season.