Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Finals : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Marco Fu

Postby Andre147

Agree with SO, and honestly Fu can't play any worse than what he did against Ronnie in their last meeting at the CoC so I think if Ronnie isn't on his game early on Fu will definately punish his mistakes heavily.

I think Ronnie will raise his game though, and it's not like he usually plays well in first round of Masters because he never does. He saves his best for the latter stages couting from the Quarters onwards.

It's a bit silly like AC said they put these matches on afternoon to appeal the BBC but anyway, all of the Quarter-Finals should be good matches anyway. Stranget though that last year Ronnie played on evening sessions. For me it's allright as I can watch both of them.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Fortunately I'll be able to watch all the remaining matches. This should be very good and I wouldn't rule out a dramatic finish.

Oh I hope not.. <laugh> I think I'm still recovering from the amazing comeback Judd did to 9-9... Behind Masters 2010, those 5 frames Judd reeled off were some of the worst as a Ronnie fan for me... had he lost that match.. that would have been so so painful.

So I hope it isnt dramatic, well hell even if it is I only hope it doesnt end on last few balls of the decider.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Fortunately I'll be able to watch all the remaining matches. This should be very good and I wouldn't rule out a dramatic finish.

Oh I hope not.. <laugh> I think I'm still recovering from the amazing comeback Judd did to 9-9... Behind Masters 2010, those 5 frames Judd reeled off were some of the worst as a Ronnie fan for me... had he lost that match.. that would have been so so painful.

So I hope it isnt dramatic, well hell even if it is I only hope it doesnt end on last few balls of the decider.

Yeah I also haven't forgotten that comeback <laugh> That was quite a scare, wasn't it? But luckily both Trump and Selby won't be making any more comebacks this week.

Postby Paddpotter

I'd love Ronnie to win and in style but I'd also be happy to see Marco progress. I just want to see a great game and if they can serve up anything like Allen and Higgins then great! I wouldn't read too much into Ronnies comments after his match with Walden as I believe he was just trying to take pressure off himself. He won it last year and has just won the Champion of champion and UK titles. There is no pressure on him and I honestly believe for him this would be a bonus. The champion of Champions he won it in it's first year in Coventry and I think he really wanted to retain it! The UK he hadn't won it for years and think that was a big thing for him! The Masters he won last and although winning it 6 times will be significant I honestly don't think he has any focus on winning this. Yes breaking Hendry Centuries record but with his short shelf life I think his focus already will be on the Worlds.

Postby SnookerFan

Paddpotter wrote:I'd love Ronnie to win and in style but I'd also be happy to see Marco progress. I just want to see a great game and if they can serve up anything like Allen and Higgins then great! I wouldn't read too much into Ronnies comments after his match with Walden as I believe he was just trying to take pressure off himself. He won it last year and has just won the Champion of champion and UK titles. There is no pressure on him and I honestly believe for him this would be a bonus. The champion of Champions he won it in it's first year in Coventry and I think he really wanted to retain it! The UK he hadn't won it for years and think that was a big thing for him! The Masters he won last and although winning it 6 times will be significant I honestly don't think he has any focus on winning this. Yes breaking Hendry Centuries record but with his short shelf life I think his focus already will be on the Worlds.

I missed them. What did he say?

Postby shankly

SnookerFan wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:I'd love Ronnie to win and in style but I'd also be happy to see Marco progress. I just want to see a great game and if they can serve up anything like Allen and Higgins then great! I wouldn't read too much into Ronnies comments after his match with Walden as I believe he was just trying to take pressure off himself. He won it last year and has just won the Champion of champion and UK titles. There is no pressure on him and I honestly believe for him this would be a bonus. The champion of Champions he won it in it's first year in Coventry and I think he really wanted to retain it! The UK he hadn't won it for years and think that was a big thing for him! The Masters he won last and although winning it 6 times will be significant I honestly don't think he has any focus on winning this. Yes breaking Hendry Centuries record but with his short shelf life I think his focus already will be on the Worlds.

I missed them. What did he say?

Not much, nothing he hasn't mentioned before. Just that he's not playing as well as he was 18 months ago, and that he thinks he needs to play more matches to see if he can get back to that level. Not as match sharp, so not so quick out of the starting blocks or as confident.

Postby SnookerFan

shankly wrote:
Not much, nothing he hasn't mentioned before. Just that he's not playing as well as he was 18 months ago, and that he thinks he needs to play more matches to see if he can get back to that level. Not as match sharp, so not so quick out of the starting blocks or as confident.

So, the usual then? <laugh>

Postby Cannonball

This will be close. Fu is in good form and will be bouyed by his 147. If Ronnie misses a long ball, ball could be in to dish the frame. On form, Fu looks favourite to me. So Ronnie has to cut out those mistakes and pot the long stuff. His pot success needs to be 90% + today.

Postby Clara8633

Cannonball wrote:This will be close. Fu is in good form and will be bouyed by his 147. If Ronnie misses a long ball, ball could be in to dish the frame. On form, Fu looks favourite to me. So Ronnie has to cut out those mistakes and pot the long stuff. His pot success needs to be 90% + today.

But Fu is inconsistent so maybe he won't be able to play like he did against Bingo.

Postby Cannonball

Clara8633 wrote:
Cannonball wrote:This will be close. Fu is in good form and will be bouyed by his 147. If Ronnie misses a long ball, ball could be in to dish the frame. On form, Fu looks favourite to me. So Ronnie has to cut out those mistakes and pot the long stuff. His pot success needs to be 90% + today.

But Fu is inconsistent so maybe he won't be able to play like he did against Bingo.

Maybe he will play just as well or even better; that's the nature of inconsistency. One also has to factor in Ronnie's increased inconsistency and ability to chuck away a huge lead. He talked about this in the post-match interview. He puts it down to lack of match practice. I don't see it that way, as he's played three big comps in a row. I think it's down to lack of practice. He dislikes practice and I don't blame him after 30+ years on the table. But Trump has reaped the rewards of increased practice and I think it wouldn't harm Ronnie. He's dicing with the devil if he's not putting in the hours.

Certainly, concentration comes from mind workout, so practice may help in that regard as well; because pro snooker is much about the mind. Perhaps it's just age, maybe he can't concentrate as well as earlier years and maybe having to think hard at the table (which he didn't need to do as he was on autopilot in his peak years) interrupts his flow? Rhythm is very important as well, especially in break-building.

I'd be interested to know how much practice he puts in if anyone knows?

Postby masterdoctorgenius

every1 is making a big issue of ronnie squandering big leads and not playing well. for gods sake he won two majors in a row. and that matters. i love it when ronnie has to fight for his victories. never thought that he could be so good under pressure. i rate him on par with higgins and hendry in pressure play.

and for today: the better player will win. simple as that. if fu wins, fair play to him. he deserves it then.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

masterdoctorgenius wrote:every1 is making a big issue of ronnie squandering big leads and not playing well. for gods sake he won two majors in a row. and that matters. i love it when ronnie has to fight for his victories. never thought that he could be so good under pressure. i rate him on par with higgins and hendry in pressure play.

and for today: the better player will win. simple as that. if fu wins, fair play to him. he deserves it then.

Exactly.

The other top players also have these problems, the difference is Ronnie is picking up all the silverware.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Anyway, this should be a great match. Hopefully Henrdy will commentate today and see his century record being surpassed.

Another of Hendry's records can be beaten today, both Ronnie and Hendry have most matches won at Masters, 42, so hopefully Ronnie breaks his tons tally AND wins the match. :-D