Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Ding Junhui v Joe Perry !

Postby Paddpotter

Andy Spark wrote:Ding Junhui now has the same pattern as Ronnie, in that they both play well in their home country/continent but not so well abroad, yet Ronnie is lucky that the big events are all in his own country! IMO the solution for continuing Chinese money in snooker is to move the World Championship (or Masters) to China, or at least share the World Championship alternate years with China.

I don't agree with this... the power still lies in England. I heard some idiot on some other thread describe somebody as a 'little Englander' because they would dare to put the UK>BBC events above others!! Anybody that knows snooker and isn't half brain-dead knows the UK events are still miles ahead of the others in terms of prestige and the efforts the top players put in!! That will surely change in the years to come but right now that is accurate and I find it insulting that some people on here would say otherwise. Learn your history and know your future and don't you dare get mixed up and have a go at other people for having a brain and pointing that out!! Don't you dare

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:Ding Junhui now has the same pattern as Ronnie, in that they both play well in their home country/continent but not so well abroad, yet Ronnie is lucky that the big events are all in his own country! IMO the solution for continuing Chinese money in snooker is to move the World Championship (or Masters) to China, or at least share the World Championship alternate years with China.

I don't agree with this... the power still lies in England. I heard some idiot on some other thread describe somebody as a 'little Englander' because they would dare to put the UK>BBC events above others!! Anybody that knows snooker and isn't half brain-dead knows the UK events are still miles ahead of the others in terms of prestige and the efforts the top players put in!! That will surely change in the years to come but right now that is accurate and I find it insulting that some people on here would say otherwise. Learn your history and know your future and don't you dare get mixed up and have a go at other people for having a brain and pointing that out!! Don't you dare

lol no need to get so agitated mate <ok> I agree the UK events, masters, uk, worlds, welsh open have history and prestige behind them but lets not forget the game cant rely being based soley on UK, and there are many important tournaments abroad, german masters for instance is one of the best in my opinion, amazing crowds (much better than the UK ones) and generally the tournaments in Europe like the PTCs are so well supported and the crowd make that happen, like in my home country PTC in Portugal. History and prestige is important no doubt, but the game is now Global so every win counts, whether its in the UK or in China.

Postby Andre147

Now it's time for an Andre fun fact, like Skull usually does.

Ding won his first match at the Masters 6-3 against Perry in 2004, and Perry won his first match at the Masters 6-3 against Ding this year.

Perry of course had lost many others before, but its funny his first win was over Ding by the same scoreline.

Postby Paddpotter

Andre147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

lol no need to get so agitated mate <ok> I agree the UK events, masters, uk, worlds, welsh open have history and prestige behind them but lets not forget the game cant rely being based soley on UK, and there are many important tournaments abroad, german masters for instance is one of the best in my opinion, amazing crowds (much better than the UK ones) and generally the tournaments in Europe like the PTCs are so well supported and the crowd make that happen, like in my home country PTC in Portugal. History and prestige is important no doubt, but the game is now Global so every win counts, whether its in the UK or in China.

I know it cant did you not read my post? you didn't even read my post

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

I know it cant did you not read my post? you didn't even read my post

I didnt read your post? rofl of course I didnt, thats why I quoted you and addresed the points your pointed out <laugh> lol Paddpoter, maybe I shall say this was irony on my part since you obviosuly didnt get my meaning at first. anyway, no point discussing this any further pmsl

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:Ding Junhui will never win the world title. He isn't mentally strong enough.

He certainly isn't a mental midget, he just has more to deal with mentally than the others; if other Chinese players could get into the top 16 then it would take much of the pressure off him. It must be jolly difficult having the whole of the Chinese nation's expectation on your shoulders.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Ding Junhui will never win the world title. He isn't mentally strong enough.

He certainly isn't a mental midget, he just has more to deal with mentally than the others; if other Chinese players could get into the top 16 then it would take much of the pressure off him. It must be jolly difficult having the whole of the Chinese nation's expectation on your shoulders.

He will win the Worlds someday I reckon, but needs to work on that temperament of his and above all needs to be more consistent at the Crucible. Mind you, maybe his best chance of ever winning the Worlds will be if its moves to China. Ironic isnt it, as prior to last season he didnt play well at all there.

If Ding werent to win the Worlds he would definately have to be considered the best player never to have won it, even above Jimmy White.

Postby Skullman

Paddpotter wrote:
Skullman wrote:That when he plays well he can win tournaments?

If you mean Walden your missing the point

What point? That Asian tournaments are worth so much less because a player like Walden can win them?

Postby Paddpotter

Skullman wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

What point? That Asian tournaments are worth so much less because a player like Walden can win them?

On paper maybe but we all know on paper and actual real life are very different. Walden could never win a masters, UK or worlds...FACT

Postby Skullman

Paddpotter wrote:
On paper maybe but we all know on paper and actual real life are very different. Walden could never win a masters, UK or worlds...FACT

Agree with Worlds, disagree with Masters and UK, especially now that UK is in its severely reduced state. I'd say the gap between the UK and the other events is slowly getting smaller.

Postby Skullman

Paddpotter wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

YES

Then you missed the point of my post, which is that Walden can win tournaments when playing well, and just because he won a tournament doesn't devalue it. Especially since it has two session semis, which puts it ahead of the UK format wise at least.

Postby Paddpotter

Skullman wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

Agree with Worlds, disagree with Masters and UK, especially now that UK is in its severely reduced state. I'd say the gap between the UK and the other events is slowly getting smaller.

Ok your right about that but for now the likes of Rick won't win it. Obviously in the very near future these inferior players will god forbid

Postby Skullman

Paddpotter wrote:
Ok your right about that but for now the likes of Rick won't win it. Obviously in the very near future these inferior players will god forbid

Or maybe the tournament isn't inferior but lesser players are on their way up?

Postby Paddpotter

Skullman wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:

Or maybe the tournament isn't inferior but lesser players are on their way up?

you know that's not true

Postby Skullman

Of course I don't, that's why I suggested it. :roll:

Anyway, I'd really love to continue with this conversation, but I'd also like to be up early enough to eat breakfast before my morning lectures, so :wave:

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I just think, to win the WC he really has to play his natural game, especially when he gets a bad draw. As good as a competitor he's, but if it's not your natural game , it will be not easy to keep winning matches like that over such a long distance. It will take a lot out of him. I've never seen Ronnie so powerless like after that UK final.

He's just not used, playing matches like that all the time and you can't blame him. Because most of the time, when he wins a major, he just demolishes his opponents with his heavy scoring.

I think your point is that his more defensive, tighter approach restricts his natural attacking game, right?

But I don't think that's a problem. He has a very good balance nowadays. He's trying to keep things tight and plays telling safeties but he can instantly switch into break building mode. The long pots go in when he really needs them (UK final) and his composure under pressure is great. His game is very strong in all departments meaning even if one or two aren't working properly he can compensate. Ronnie is still very attacking in crucial moments (that long red in the decider of the UK semi) and his break building remains strong.

We're certainly seeing a different Ronnie nowadays, but in my opinion it's the best ever O'Sullivan. The titles he won since 2012 speak for themselves.

No SO, that wasn't my point. I was just speaking about his current form actually. I was just saying that I hope that he can get back into his peak form again where he's scoring heavily on a consistent level (strong one-visit game). After the Welsh Open his level dropped a little bit in that department and he had some scrappy frames and matches and at the WC 2014 as well as he was also making a lot more mistakes during the breaks which probably costed him the title at the end.

The good thing obviously is that nowadays he's even winning big matches/titles when he's playing not well (thanks to Dr. Peters) but I think that to win the WC , he has to play the standard, he played in 2013. Breakbuilding/scoring at his best and killing off frames at one visit. In the COC he did it and I hope, he can do it in the WC as well.

Postby Paddpotter

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I just think, to win the WC he really has to play his natural game, especially when he gets a bad draw. As good as a competitor he's, but if it's not your natural game , it will be not easy to keep winning matches like that over such a long distance. It will take a lot out of him. I've never seen Ronnie so powerless like after that UK final.

He's just not used, playing matches like that all the time and you can't blame him. Because most of the time, when he wins a major, he just demolishes his opponents with his heavy scoring.

I think your point is that his more defensive, tighter approach restricts his natural attacking game, right?

But I don't think that's a problem. He has a very good balance nowadays. He's trying to keep things tight and plays telling safeties but he can instantly switch into break building mode. The long pots go in when he really needs them (UK final) and his composure under pressure is great. His game is very strong in all departments meaning even if one or two aren't working properly he can compensate. Ronnie is still very attacking in crucial moments (that long red in the decider of the UK semi) and his break building remains strong.

We're certainly seeing a different Ronnie nowadays, but in my opinion it's the best ever O'Sullivan. The titles he won since 2012 speak for themselves.

No SO, that wasn't my point. I was just speaking about his current form actually. I was just saying that I hope that he can get back into his peak form again where he's scoring heavily on a consistent level (strong one-visit game). After the Welsh Open his level dropped a little bit in that department and he had some scrappy frames and matches and at the WC 2014 as well as he was also making a lot more mistakes during the breaks which probably costed him the title at the end.

The good thing obviously is that nowadays he's even winning big matches/titles when he's playing not well (thanks to Dr. Peters) but I think that to win the WC , he has to play the standard, he played in 2013. Breakbuilding/scoring at his best and killing off frames at one visit. In the COC he did it and I hope, he can do it in the WC as well.

People talk too much about Ronnie. Forget about him he will be gone in in the next 2 years