Post a reply

OneFourSeven "A Success"?

Postby Roland

This is from Dave Hendons snookerscene blog:

Dave Hendon wrote:Overall I enjoyed my day out yesterday at ONEFORSEVEN in Cardiff, even if the city resembled a giant ice rink.

The harsh winter conditions undoubtedly had an effect on crowd turnout and a few big names also pulled out but several top stars took part, including Mark Williams, Mark Selby, Ken Doherty, Mark King, Matthew Stevens and the eventual winner, Ryan Day.

This was not, as some had predicted, the ghost of Pot Black Timeframe (for which many in the snooker world have undergone therapy to forget).

The format pitted eight players playing a single frame against one another. Each frame could last no longer than 21 minutes. The aggregate score for each player over the seven frames was used to calculate the overall winner.

The miss rule and free ball were thrown out and players had ball in hand after fouls, which certainly speeded things up. Not one of the 84 frames played lasted longer than the allotted 21 minutes.

Music was played throughout and the crowd were encouraged to make noise. This made it more a snooker club atmosphere and didn’t seem to put the players off.

I dare say ONEFORSEVEN wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea but it would be wrong to write it off without having seen it.

The players I spoke to enjoyed themselves. I’m sure Ryan will enjoy the £14,707 winners’ cheque he received – not even a semi-final prize in some ranking tournaments.

Players don’t just want to play hard tournament snooker and nothing else. They want to let their hair down (those that have any) from time to time and relax, just as spectators like to see them in less serious mode every so often.

The challenge now for the ONEFORSEVEN organisers is to gain interest from broadcasters. This may be harder than they think. The four table set up would be difficult to cover, although one appealing aspect for TV is that, unlike major tournament snooker, it is possible to discern how long the action will take.

There will, of course, be howls of protest that anyone had the nerve to tamper with the traditional form of snooker.

But the bottom line is that variants on a theme such as this and Six Reds do not threaten the established game in any way. They are merely offshoots that may have a role to play in broadening snooker’s appeal.

Most other sports have tried similar experiments. Some work, some don’t but not trying at all doesn’t get you anywhere.

Certainly the kids in Cardiff enjoyed being given the freedom to get up close to the players rather than sit silently in their seats for hours on end – not a pastime most children enjoy.

At the end, where Day, Liam Highfield and Alfie Burden were all in realistic contention for first place, there was a genuine sense of excitement and everyone got to their feet and gathered around the respective tables to see how it would end.

And remember: snooker was originally invented by messing around with the rules of other cue sports.

I’ve no doubt there were those hidebound to tradition who were appalled by this in the 19th century. If they’d had their way we’d still all be playing billiards and nothing else.

I don’t think ONEFORSEVEN is going to replace what we see at the Crucible any time soon – it’d be hard bearing in mind there is barely sufficient room for two tables in the famous Sheffield theatre.

Personally speaking, my favourite form of snooker is in major tournaments of the 15 red variety, just as I prefer Test cricket to Twenty/20 and one day internationals.

But if experiments such as this can help snooker’s future fortunes, even in a small way, then they should be given a chance.

This is from global-snooker:

Global Snooker wrote:Despite adverse weather conditions affecting the entry list, the first ever ONEFORSEVEN event was hailed an outstanding success by players and fans.

Heavy snow prevented Graeme Dott and Barry Hawkins making the starting line-up and an ear infection which had kept him awake the night before meant that crowd-favourite, Jimmy White was a last minute withdrawal.

Fans were treated to a spectacle of 84 one-frame matches in the stunning four table, open-plan arena with music and lights adding a touch of showbiz to the proceedings.

The standard of play was of the highest quality throughout the day, with Ryan Day claiming the first prize and the highest break with a 128 in the Final Eight.

Sixteen players took part and former UK Champion, Matthew Stevens told Global-Snooker.com, “I think it’s a great format, the atmosphere in the arena is great, I didn't even realise there was music on until the third or fourth round".

Former world number three, Stephen Lee said, “It’s different. There were some bold changes but they all worked really well.”

Lee’s wife, Laura, also applauded the event. She said, “Superb! I loved it. I struggle to watch full matches in the traditional format but the changes on the leaderboard are fascinating and the fact that you can talk without distracting the players is great”.

One fan said, "ONEFORSEVEN is the way forward. I can watch the action, have a drink and talk about the play with my mates, what more could you ask for."

Neil Tomkins and Peter Bainbridge, the men behind the concept were equally delighted with the response to the first event. Bainbridge said, "It couldn't have gone better. The response from players and fans has been overwhelmingly positive and we now plan to stage more events in the coming years".

Thoughts?

Re: OneFourSeven "A Success"?

Postby Wildey

its not sport is it.

its a saturday night prime time show like CELEBRITY WRESTLING (REMEMBER THAT :eek: )

i have nothing against it as a bit of fun but its not really for me in a competative sporting nature.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:its not sport is it.

its a saturday night prime time show like CELEBRITY WRESTLING (REMEMBER THAT :eek: )

i have nothing against it as a bit of fun but its not really for me in a competative sporting nature.

i could see it as a new version of big break

anything but the stupid rubbish clock

<ok>

Postby Roland

I'll be accused of not being open minded if I say what I really think.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I'll be accused of not being open minded if I say what I really think.

i suppose its fun and id play it down the club no worries along with many other things on a table thats been going on for donkeys years in clubs messing about with different ideas but im thinking will it catch on as a spectator sport i say no it wont....

Postby Roland

How can you play it down the local club?

Hendon mentioned that some people say it's the "ghost of Pot Black Timeframe". I would say it's the ghost of ITV's attempt to do a Big Break with a bizarre pool/snooker hybrid. Does anyone remember that? Didn't last did it?

The plus points seem to be the atmosphere for the spectators. Well if that's the main plus point I can only point out that it's perfectly reasonable to host normal snooker events in a multi-table situation with no barriers between tables and the audience to have access to all tables. Mobiles could ring, people could talk out loud, it would work.

As the tournament progresses to the semi-finals the matches could be held one at a time with the same rules, but you'd find the audience became more naturally engrossed in the same action therefore a natural hush would happen.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:How can you play it down the local club?

Hendon mentioned that some people say it's the "ghost of Pot Black Timeframe". I would say it's the ghost of ITV's attempt to do a Big Break with a bizarre pool/snooker hybrid. Does anyone remember that? Didn't last did it?

The plus points seem to be the atmosphere for the spectators. Well if that's the main plus point I can only point out that it's perfectly reasonable to host normal snooker events in a multi-table situation with no barriers between tables and the audience to have access to all tables. Mobiles could ring, people could talk out loud, it would work.

As the tournament progresses to the semi-finals the matches could be held one at a time with the same rules, but you'd find the audience became more naturally engrossed in the same action therefore a natural hush would happen.

what i meant was id rather play it than watch it.

Postby Roland

Fair comment. If I was asked to take part then I'd probably enjoy it. As for promoting it as a good idea, forget it!

Postby SnookerFan

I don't mind these variations showing up from time to time. I don't mind the shot clock in Premier League, I don't mind the idea behind the six-reds world championship that popped up and I don't mind this.

It's when people start implying they should be put in a ranking event, I switch off. Exhibitions to introduce new fans? That I don't mind. But if at a ranking event final the players were playing to a 21-minute a frame with music playing set-up, it'd obviously be a stupid idea.

Postby NedB-H

I gave up reading the OP when the rule alterations got too complicated.... what is the point of changing all the rules for a one off event? Any new fans you attract will wonder what the hell's going on when we get back to normal tournaments, and casual fans who already know the rules will just get confused and give up. I can understand having one or two simple, major changes that everyone understands, eg fewer reds, shot clocks.... but

"The aggregate score for each player over the seven frames was used to calculate the overall winner."

"The miss rule and free ball were thrown out and players had ball in hand after fouls."

WTF?

Postby Wildey

its a case of panicking from people trying to change a winning formula to counter act the administrative cockerel ups withing the WSA.

snooker will live on when all these gimmicks are put in to history.

Postby Smart

totally non-plussed by this - certainly would not pay for the privilege and if it happened to be FREE I would spend a short time and probably just walk off shaking my head ...... sorry but this does not interest me whatsoever. I guess my mind is closed to this type of thing. <laugh>