Post a reply

Snooker, Speed Up FFS!

Postby Cannonball

Record century holder, The Rocket, has said that snooker needs to speed up and gave his thoughts to the Beeb on the subject -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/30789531

I agree, I'm fed up of it being destroyed by grinders putting the crowd to sleep. I can go to my local club to see that all night.

Thoughts?

Re: Snooker, Speed Up FFS!

Postby Andre147

If evveryone was like Ronnie or Trump it would be boring aswell because there would only be one style of play.

Variety is what we need, not too much of "grinders", but also not too much of fast players.

Snooker couldn't be in a better state at the moment mate, just enjoy it. <ok>

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:If evveryone was like Ronnie or Trump it would be boring aswell because there would only be one style of play.

Variety is what we need, not too much of "grinders", but also not too much of fast players.

Did you read the article?

Postby Andre147

Cannonball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:If evveryone was like Ronnie or Trump it would be boring aswell because there would only be one style of play.

Did you read the article?

I did, and that would mean players like Selby or Robbo would have to play out of their normal speed of play with a shot clock, so again I maintain what I said, Snooker needs variety.

I won't mind a shot clock in a tournament like the old Premier League, but in a ranking tournament I don't think it would be fair on some of the slower players and would give an advantage over the fast ones.

But like I say one or 2 tournaments per year like Shootout or Premier League is absolutely fine.

Postby Alex0paul

If there is a shot clock for fast players then there should be a shot clock for slower players, eg 25 seconds before you have to play the shot

Postby vodkadiet

Shot clock snooker is irrelevant. It is snooker prostituting itself for the A.D.H.D. society that we now live in.

Postby Sickpotter

It's hard mentally to deal with players who are slower than you and virtually everyone is slower than Ronnie.

No matter his opinion or records it's not up to Ronnie to dictate the style or pace of play.

If it bothers you Just take your Ritalin or don't watch. <ok>

Total non-issue anyway :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:Record century holder, The Rocket, has said that snooker needs to speed up and gave his thoughts to the Beeb on the subject -

I agree, I'm fed up of it being destroyed by grinders putting the crowd to sleep. I can go to my local club to see that all night.

Thoughts?

Are you Seifer island hatah?

Postby shankly

Sorry Ron, I like snooker the way it is. But then I'm the obsessed one on a forum, so... you'd hope I'd think that, really. To be fair he's right about 50 minute frames turning the casual viewing public off, but the sooner the snooker fraternity accept that snooker doesn't have to be as popular as football to survive the better.

I'm quite happy with the niche corner of the market it occupies right now, but there's a fine balance to be walked here I reckon. You don't want an unsustainable expansion bubble, but neither do you want a slow fade to irrelevancy and have the BBC (much as we moan about the coverage) drop it entirely either.

Sports' popularity all wax and wane anyway. Snooker's had its turn, now it's cycling and darts. The most important thing is to keep the grassroots strong, get more people playing the game, make sure snooker clubs stay open. That is the most pressing issue at the moment, in my opinion.

Now, after saying all that, if they want to bring back power snooker as a novelty in the calendar I don't care. I'll probably even watch it. And if I bet if I attend, I'll probably have a good time.

Postby Andre147

shankly wrote:Sorry Ron, I like snooker the way it is. But then I'm the obsessed one on a forum, so... you'd hope I'd think that, really. To be fair he's right about 50 minute frames turning the casual viewing public off, but the sooner the snooker fraternity accept that snooker doesn't have to be as popular as football to survive the better.

I'm quite happy with the niche corner of the market it occupies right now, but there's a fine balance to be walked here I reckon. You don't want an unsustainable expansion bubble, but neither do you want a slow fade to irrelevancy and have the BBC (much as we moan about the coverage) drop it entirely either.

Sports' popularity all wax and wane anyway. Snooker's had its turn, now it's cycling and darts. The most important thing is to keep the grassroots strong, get more people playing the game, make sure snooker clubs stay open. That is the most pressing issue at the moment, in my opinion.

Now, after saying all that, if they want to bring back power snooker as a novelty in the calendar I don't care. I'll probably even watch it. And if I bet if I attend, I'll probably have a good time.

Good post mate, couldnt agree more.

Yeah 1 or 2 tournaments per year like Shootout or Premier League is absolutely fine as it's just for fun really and it won't replace the tradicional 15 red game with tradicional rules.

But obviously it wouldn't work in a ranking event, and I hope they never do it there. And yeah like you say Snooker will never be as popular as Football or Tennis, but it doesn't need to be, keeping the game alive with more tournaments abroad, clubs open and all that stuff is what the game requires, and personally, with the arrival of Barry Hearn, I think Snooker couldn't be in a healthier state.

Postby gcjdavid

How about making a couple of rankers shot-clock timed? That would be interesting.

Postby Lucky

The BBC dropping snooker would be great for snooker imho. Hidden away behind the red button at prime time but on the main channels (eggheads permitting) for the retired, who the beeb believe are the only viewers.

Postby vodkadiet

gcjdavid wrote:How about making a couple of rankers shot-clock timed? That would be interesting.

That would be idiotic.

Postby Wildey

The PL Was boring you had players playing fast negative safeties instead of looking for the right shot to create chances.

Snooker has never been faster or more attacking than it is at the moment so shot clocks are irrelevant.. In the first round of the masters Selby was averaging 18 second a shot when in Break building mode Faster than Murphy.

Postby Cannonball

I would suggest a rule change:

Ball in hand for every foul committed, missed object ball, in-offs, touching balls, push shots, etc.

Committing a foul may then result in giving your opponent a golden chance of a frame winning break, which I have no problem with, because it would cut both ways. This would certainly reduce the length of a frame on average without asking the players to speed up.

It would also get rid of the miss rule, as ball in hand would make replacing the white redundant, and nearly make the call on free ball situations redundant except in very strange circumstances.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cannonball wrote:I would suggest a rule change:

Ball in hand for every foul committed, missed object ball, in-offs, touching balls, push shots, etc.

Committing a foul may then result in giving your opponent a golden chance of a frame winning break, which I have no problem with, because it would cut both ways. This would certainly reduce the length of a frame on average without asking the players to speed up.

It would also get rid of the miss rule, as ball in hand would make replacing the white redundant, and nearly make the call on free ball situations redundant except in very strange circumstances.

Proposal rejected.

That would put way too much emphasis on unlucky in-offs and mishit thin safeties.

Postby Skullman

I'd accept ball in hand, replacing frame concession for the three miss rule. At least then your opponent has to pot the balls.

Although it'd make watching a Poomjaeng match less interesting.

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:Record century holder, The Rocket, has said that snooker needs to speed up and gave his thoughts to the Beeb on the subject -

Thoughts?

O'Sullivan says you lose the crowd after a 45 minute frame. No, you lose those with A.D.H.D.

What will happen if gimmicks like this get introduced is you will just get football style crowds in who don't have any real interest in snooker, and genuine snooker fans will switch off as the game gets prostituted off to the highest bidder.

The day they start bringing in ranking points for suggestions such as the ones that O'Sullivan has made is the day you can flush the game down the toilet for good.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:

Thoughts?

O'Sullivan says you lose the crowd after a 45 minute frame. No, you lose those with A.D.H.D.

What will happen if gimmicks like this get introduced is you will just get football style crowds in who don't have any real interest in snooker, and genuine snooker fans will switch off as the game gets prostituted off to the highest bidder.

The day they start bringing in ranking points for suggestions such as the ones that O'Sullivan has made is the day you can flush the game down the toilet for good.

We do have to take some of the things Ronnie says with a pinch of salt. Power Snooker was just the worst thing I've ever seen so pmsl Premier League wasn't so bad but the moment they introduced Shootout rules there it ruined the whole thing.

Having one or two events per year like Shootout is allright as it's just a bit of fun and wont replace the tradicional game as some clueless ones once said. But the moment they introduce this to a ranking event it will ruin Snooker for good.

Snooker is allright as it is now so no need to change a thing, like you say, it would be prostituted off to the highest bidder I agree.