Post a reply

While the king was looking down

Postby V.V

Hei everyone, I'm new here, a snookerfan from Finland

I once watched the Selby-ROS final on youtube, and there is thismoment when a commentator refers to John McLeans song "American Pie" by saying "While the king was looking down, the jester stole his thorny crown". If anyone can tell me what moment it was in that math, I would appreciate. I have tried to find it by watching the much but I have not been able to find it. It is a very important moment to me, since the song originally refered to Bob Dylan taking the lead in rock world from Elvis. It refers to the moment when rock lyrics were destined to be about society and to have a deeper meanings.

Best regards

V.V from Turku, Finland

Re: While the king was looking down

Postby vodkadiet

V.V wrote:Hei everyone, I'm new here, a snookerfan from Finland

I once watched the Selby-ROS final on youtube, and there is thismoment when a commentator refers to John McLeans song "American Pie" by saying "While the king was looking down, the jester stole his thorny crown". If anyone can tell me what moment it was in that math, I would appreciate. I have tried to find it by watching the much but I have not been able to find it. It is a very important moment to me, since the song originally refered to Bob Dylan taking the lead in rock world from Elvis. It refers to the moment when rock lyrics were destined to be about society and to have a deeper meanings.

Best regards

V.V from Turku, Finland

It was Don Maclean. I think you may have imagined it.

Postby V.V

His name is McLean... And there is this episode, I'm sure. The other commentator says the rhyme, then the other one asks "where did you get that from" and the answer is "McLeans american pie"

Sorry for my english, it is due to me writing on tablet computer.

Postby V.V

Skullman wrote:It was in EuroSport's commentary in the last session. Can't remember the exact frame, but it was from around 15-14 onwards.

Here is a link. http://youtu.be/wNAivtNPAtM?t=2h3m32s

Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

thanks, you are a great man, This helps me a lot. At least I'm not dreaming it.

Postby vodkadiet

V.V wrote:I've been reading your posts Vodkadiet and I understand your scpetisism :)

It was just that I thought it would be a strange thing for a commentator to say! I thought it was funny! Thanks for the information!

Postby V.V

Yea I got it.

Eurosport is the channel we watch the sport from in Finland.

But still, I was waching a reply on youtube, 'cause to be honest, I was to nervous to watch the concluding frames whie making. I saw this nightmares that Selby would loose even after leading the match 17-14. But the morning came and luckily I was alive the morning I saw that Selby won :)

Postby vodkadiet

V.V wrote:Yea I got it.

Eurosport is the channel we watch the sport from in Finland.

But still, I was waching a reply on youtube, 'cause to be honest, I was to nervous to watch the concluding frames whie making. I saw this nightmares that Selby would loose even after leading the match 17-14. But the morning came and luckily I was alive the morning I saw that Selby won :)

I knew Selby was going hand O'Sullivan his ass the moment he got level with him in the third session. I had no doubts at that point. He would have beaten him by a larger margin had he not been so tired from his semi final match with Robertson.

Selby. :happy:

Postby vodkadiet

V.V wrote:I like you, Vodkadiet, such a radical of snooker :)

Thanks V.V. I am just an anti-fanboy.

Postby shankly

Cool, only watched the BBC broadcast so I didn't know about this. Apropos from Hendon; you'd think old Joe Johnson would know a classic like American Pie though!

Postby vodkadiet

shankly wrote:Cool, only watched the BBC broadcast so I didn't know about this. Apropos from Hendon; you'd think old Joe Johnson would know a classic like American Pie though!

Chalk and cheese listening to BBC as against Eurosport. That was a pearl from Dave Hendon. I have already turned the sound down on the BBC coverage as Dennis Taylor is in the box again. There really should be a button to mute the commentators, or better than that, mute just one of the commentators.

Postby shankly

vodkadiet wrote:Chalk and cheese listening to BBC as against Eurosport. That was a pearl from Dave Hendon. I have already turned the sound down on the BBC coverage as Dennis Taylor is in the box again. There really should be a button to mute the commentators, or better than that, mute just one of the commentators.

Nah, depends on who's in the box for Eurosport as well. I like Hendon and Johnson is decent enough in the expert/analyst role, but the others (Hallett, Studd, etc) are dross. ITV's the only one with quality all round.

Postby Skullman

Hendon's the strong part of ES's team. And he always brings his co-commentator's standard up. Hallett is a lot more bearable when paired with him, while Johnson feels worse when with Studd.

Postby gcjdavid

vodkadiet wrote:
shankly wrote:Cool, only watched the BBC broadcast so I didn't know about this. Apropos from Hendon; you'd think old Joe Johnson would know a classic like American Pie though!

Chalk and cheese listening to BBC as against Eurosport. That was a pearl from Dave Hendon. I have already turned the sound down on the BBC coverage as Dennis Taylor is in the box again. There really should be a button to mute the commentators, or better than that, mute just one of the commentators.

Then watch the stream online; there's a button to mute commentary. Mine's HD on qqzhibo.net.

Postby vodkadiet

gcjdavid wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Then watch the stream online; there's a button to mute commentary. Mine's HD on qqzhibo.net.

Cheers!

Postby SnookerEd25

Only if he saw it on a chip-shop menu, I think...