Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Wald

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Mind you, it has noticeable in recent times Ronnie doesnt cope very well when he has big leads, so maybe he needs to sort that out because like he say you cant get away with it all the time.

As a Ronnie fan, if he continues to regularly forge big leads then I am more than happy if he proceeds to miss the odd unexpected ball from four or five frames up. The main thing is still to get the big lead. :-)

Agreed. Trump played snooker from the gods in these last two comebacks, Ronnie did very little wrong.

Today if the red doesn't roll off, Ronnie wins 6-2 and end of story. However I'm not unhappy how this match ultimately turned out. Great entertainment and excitement.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Beating the record is a milestone. Equaling it is just another ton.

For the record, my post was aimed at the BBC rather than the forum. Why ask ROS and Hendry about their reactions when it hasn't happened yet? They barely even spoke about the match, despite some pretty noteworthy moments (Walden getting the snooker anyone?).

Maybe because of the way he did it, but youre right he hasnt beaten it yet, but he'll do it against Fu I'm almost sure.

About the snooker, Hendry was right, it looked as if Ronnie wanted to be snookered by Walden, Why not just smash the balls away to prevent Walden from layiing a snooker?

Glad it didnt prove decisive in the outcome of the match though.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Beating the record is a milestone. Equaling it is just another ton.

For the record, my post was aimed at the BBC rather than the forum. Why ask ROS and Hendry about their reactions when it hasn't happened yet? They barely even spoke about the match, despite some pretty noteworthy moments (Walden getting the snooker anyone?).

All depends on the perspective. Obviously surpassing a record is even bigger but equaling is also pretty noteworthy.

If Ronnie were to win a sixth Masters title for example, all the headlines would say: Ronnie equaling Hendry's Masters record.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

All depends on the perspective. Obviously surpassing a record is even bigger but equaling is also pretty noteworthy.

If Ronnie were to win a sixth Masters title for example, all the headlines would say: Ronnie equaling Hendry's Masters record.

Equaling Masters record is more important than the centuries mind you.

But he can equal it AND break his record of tons, so can't be much better really can it :-D

Still a long way to though, and Fu may cause him problems next round as he played awesome in his match.

Postby Cannonball

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Equaling Masters record is more important than the centuries mind you.

But he can equal it AND break his record of tons, so can't be much better really can it :-D

Still a long way to though, and Fu may cause him problems next round as he played awesome in his match.

Ronnie has smashed one record, he's got to 775 younger than Hendry did! I think he's got there three years earlier!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:By the way, that was Ronnie's 14th consecutive win! That's some winning streak since that defeat to MJW :-)

As SF said yesterday, you would be a nice addtion to the BBC panel as they would probably say it was Ronnie's 11th ot 12th consecutive win rofl

As you said, they must get their stats from Taylor pmsl

Postby TheRocket

If he hadn't made that big break in the 12/13 season he could be around 830 centuries now. However, he'll still break the record nevertheless. But if he really wants to get to 1000, I think, that big break in the 12/13 season has cost him the last reasonable chance to ever reach that mark.

Trump and Ding really have to dig a lot to catch the future record number which Ronnie will set.
The question will be. How good these two players will still be in their 30's? That will be key if they ever wanna catch Ronnie.
Last edited by TheRocket on 13 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cannonball

TheRocket wrote:If he hadn't made that big break in the 12/13 season he could be around 830 centuries now. However, he'll still break the record nevertheless. But if he really wants to get to 1000, I think, that big break in the 12/13 season has cost him the last reasonable chance to ever reach that mark.

Trump and Ding really have to dig a lot to catch the future record number which Ronnie will set.
The question will be. How good these two players will still be in their 30's? That will be key if they ever wanna catch Ronnie.

If he hadn't had bi-polar for years and that break, he could be 1000 already. Ifs and buts. 775 is done though, and given all he's been through, it's magical.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:If he hadn't made that big break in the 12/13 season he could be around 830 centuries now. However, he'll still break the record nevertheless. But if he really wants to get to 1000, I think, that big break in the 12/13 season has cost him the last reasonable chance to ever reach that mark.

Also how good will Ronnie be in his 40s?

Ronnie announced that he will play in more events in the future starting this season and he made 50 already last season. So if he really digs in he definitely has a chance unless his standard will plummet in the next couple of seasons.

Postby shankly

Cannonball wrote:If he hadn't had bi-polar for years and that break, he could be 1000 already. Ifs and buts. 775 is done though, and given all he's been through, it's magical.

This. I think it's also what's endeared him to the public and why he's more popular now more than ever (it seems to me at least!). He's paid his dues, and for all the moaning about retirement and controversy he's still out there mixing it with the best 23 years on.

I know first-hand what it's like to suffer from depression, and it really can be very debilitating sometimes. That he's got through it and is managing it so well right now is really heartening to see.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Ronnie announced that he will play in more events in the future starting this season and he made 50 already last season. So if he really digs in he definitely has a chance unless his standard will plummet in the next couple of seasons.

He has to play another 4 seasons at the highest standard. It's not impossible but it will be very very tough. At this age, decline can start overnight. But if there's a player, who can do this almost unbelievable thing, it's him, no doubt about that.

Postby Dan-cat

shankly wrote:
Cannonball wrote:If he hadn't had bi-polar for years and that break, he could be 1000 already. Ifs and buts. 775 is done though, and given all he's been through, it's magical.

This. I think it's also what's endeared him to the public and why he's more popular now more than ever (it seems to me at least!). He's paid his dues, and for all the moaning about retirement and controversy he's still out there mixing it with the best 23 years on.

I know first-hand what it's like to suffer from depression, and it really can be very debilitating sometimes. That he's got through it and is managing it so well right now is really heartening to see.

Me too Shankly, me too. It is heartening, you are right.

I just watched the final frame again. There is something a little magical about that yellow... and to equal the record on Hendry's birthday. What a crazy and wonderful synchronicity.

Snookerroom.ru have already done the upload business: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbvs7LT_KZY

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

He has to play another 4 seasons at the highest standard. It's not impossible but it will be very very tough. At this age, decline can start overnight. But if there's a player, who can do this almost unbelievable thing, it's him, no doubt about that.

Or 2 seasons at the highest standard and another 4 at a decent standard. :-) Depends on how much he wants to I guess, especially when things get a bitter tougher in the years to come.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:A quick word on Walden:

Good, brave fightback from 5-1 down but he just wasn't playing well enough to really push Ronnie today. Still he can take many positives from this match.

According to Vodkadiet, that proves he's a mental midget. :huh:

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:A quick word on Walden:

Good, brave fightback from 5-1 down but he just wasn't playing well enough to really push Ronnie today. Still he can take many positives from this match.

According to Vodkadiet, that proves he's a mental midget. :huh:

Nothing happened in that match to change my mind on Walden's mental fragility in these type of matches. As for the positives, there were none. There never are when you lose, and contribute hugely to your own downfall.

It is as though the spectators and pundits have amnesia about the earlier part of matches that are low in standard, as long as there is a fightback near the end. The same thing happened in The UK final. Trump was garbage for 14 frames, but that gets forgotten because he has a run of form for 3 or 4 frames.

Postby shankly

vodkadiet wrote:
Nothing happened in that match to change my mind on Walden's mental fragility in these type of matches. As for the positives, there were none. There never are when you lose, and contribute hugely to your own downfall.

It is as though the spectators and pundits have amnesia about the earlier part of matches that are low in standard, as long as there is a fightback near the end. The same thing happened in The UK final. Trump was garbage for 14 frames, but that gets forgotten because he has a run of form for 3 or 4 frames.

I agree.

Regarding Trump, he should never have lost that UK final given how well he was playing, and Ronnie was there for the taking all tournament. For the most part I'm still reserving judgement about Trump, but it seems to me he still has a tendency to shrink a bit in the big moments. The best winners play the biggest then, he's yet to do it consistently. He has all the talent in the world, if he was as ferocious as Hendry was on the table he would've won a lot more by now.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2015/1/13/osullivan-equals-hendry-centuries-record

:D

When he wins against Fu (hopefully) the title will say "O'Sullivan breaks Hendry's record". Of course he can still break the record and lose the match, but he knows Fu usually plays well against him so he won't take his foot off the pedal.

Postby Andre147

This was the ball that enabled Ronnie to equal Hendry's record of career centuries.

And guess what, it was on Hendry's birthday, the 13th of January, and just look at Walden's score for the frame............................. 13 :D :clap: :D

Postby Andre147

NNear wrote:Apparently, Hendry has scored his centuries at a faster rate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/30804380

Errr...

BBC stats again rofl pmsl

Why don't just they have a hard look at CueTracker website and see the REAL centuries rate? I guess that's too much to ask given BBCs garbage stats pmsl

Postby TheSaviour

Even I am seriously starting to lose ideas how you possibly could do it any better!! What a century of how Ronnie finished the match, never quite seen anything like that. Saw it live, and hasn't been that much excited for a long long time. And I didn´t even know it was going to be a record-breaking since I didn´t had any commentating (was muted) and obviously hadn´t done any calculations. The thing is, there were the usual AIR. There were the air, style and flair all there. What a bloke :dizzy: :dizzy: And that yellow.. Couldn´t been that much surprised he potted that one too since how he constructed that break. I thought the match were a bit scrappy before that, but that break certainly once again raised the roof.