Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Stuart Bingham v Marco Fu !

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:Hopefully Michael White continues his run of good results and adds another name there.

A lot of the Asian kids will come through as well. Hopefully.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:By this rate, the race for the 147th maximum in professional play will start very soon. There were 11 in the last 12 months.

Selby made the 100th maxi, but who will make the 147th? By this rate Ronnie will definately be in the mix to do it.

Postby Cannonball

Skullman wrote:I like the look of Zhao Xintong. Shame he hasn't been able to get on tour yet. Same with that Iranian guy who's still having some visa trouble.

The 20s may produce a big batch of superstars. This decade, Higgins, MJW, Ebdon, Bingo, Fu, Ronnie will retire, maybe even the likes of Selby. A lot of the older and lower ranked players will disappear as well, folk like Jimmy White. This will leave a big hole for the kids to fill and plenty of chance of getting on the tour and staying on it for the kids.

Postby TheRocket

The biggest difference between the 80's, 90's and the 21st century is indeed that the quality in terms of scoring has increased rapidly.

I mean, we all know how rare century breaks were in the 80's. And while in the past you only had certain players (biggest names of that time) who would pull out frame-winning breaks (one visit stuff) on a consistent level, nowadays anyone can do that.

And Stephen Hendry and Ronnie O'Sullivan has played the biggest part in this process. They brought scoring/breakbuilding onto another level and pushed the limits , so the new generation had no other choice than going along with that to have a chance in this very competitive era.

As important as the tactical game is. To win matches and tournaments you've got to pot balls and score heavily to survive in this era.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:The biggest difference between the 80's, 90's and the 21st century is indeed that the quality in terms of scoring has increased rapidly.

I mean, we all know how rare century breaks were in the 80's. And while in the past you only had certain players (biggest names of that time) who would pull out frame-winning breaks (one visit stuff) on a consistent level, nowadays anyone can do that.

And Stephen Hendry and Ronnie O'Sullivan has played the biggest part in this process. They brought scoring/breakbuilding onto another level and pushed the limits , so the new generation had no other choice than going along with that to have a chance in this very competitive era.

As important as the tactical game is. To win matches and tournaments you've got to pot balls and score heavily to survive in this era.

<ok> :goodpost: <ok>

Agree with everything you say, my thoughts exactly. Now as you say not only the top players can do it on a consistent basis, but also those a bit lower down can make the big breaks.

Postby mantorok

TheRocket wrote:As important as the tactical game is. To win matches and tournaments you've got to pot balls and score heavily to survive in this era.

I agree that if you are to win consistently then you need to score consistently, but to say you can't win tournaments with a higher percentage of safety over potting is wrong - it can and has been done several times.

However, a skilled break-builder is more likely to win more as tactical battles are draining and unpredictable, so if you are to be a prolific winner then I completely agree.

Postby Dan-cat

Cannonball wrote:The 20s may produce a big batch of superstars. This decade, Higgins, MJW, Ebdon, Bingo, Fu, Ronnie will retire, maybe even the likes of Selby. A lot of the older and lower ranked players will disappear as well, folk like Jimmy White. This will leave a big hole for the kids to fill and plenty of chance of getting on the tour and staying on it for the kids.

Will the 20s be roaring?