Group 1 5th and 6th of January
Group 2 7th and 8th of January
Group 3 19th and 20th of January
Group 4 21st and 22nd of January
Group 5 26th and 27th of January
Group 6 28th and 29th of January
Group 7 9th and 10th of February
Winners Group 11th and 12th of February

The Championship league is back for its 8th year Previously won by Joe Perry, Marco Fu, Matthew Stevens, Ding Junhui, Martin Gould and Defending champion Judd Trump.

The concept is a group of seven, with top four going on to a knockout stage and the winner going straight through to an end of season Winners Group and the other three players going in to Group two along with 5th placed man and the bottom two in the group eliminated.

Who will win it this year?

Group 1 Players

Neil Robertson
Barry Hawkins
Judd Trump
Stuart Bingham
Marco Fu
Stephen Maguire
Mark King

DRAW

Re: Championship League Discussion!!!

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

@wildey_1 Let Dave Hendon go there every day for Breakfast and Stop bucking about with this rubbish and put on a proper event instead.

Postby Andre147

Seen Ronnie has indeed decided to enter this, he'll play on Group 5 on the 26th and 27th of January, joined by Wenbo and Fergal O'Brien plus the 4 remaining players from Group 4.

I guess it's only purpose is to increase Ronnie's tons tally like Robbo did last season which I'm all for if it means Ronnie can add a few more tons as the greatest breakbuilder ever :-D

Postby gcjdavid

Andre147 wrote:Seen Ronnie has indeed decided to enter this, he'll play on Group 5 on the 26th and 27th of January, joined by Wenbo and Fergal O'Brien plus the 4 remaining players from Group 4.

I guess it's only purpose is to increase Ronnie's tons tally like Robbo did last season which I'm all for if it means Ronnie can add a few more tons as the greatest breakbuilder ever :-D

So why didn't they put him in Group 1? He can make more tons to get his 1000 tons faster.

Postby Andre147

gcjdavid wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Seen Ronnie has indeed decided to enter this, he'll play on Group 5 on the 26th and 27th of January, joined by Wenbo and Fergal O'Brien plus the 4 remaining players from Group 4.

So why didn't they put him in Group 1? He can make more tons to get his 1000 tons faster.

I guess it was purely down to his choice as to whether he wanted to enter Group 1 or not since Robbo and Trump for instance are in Group 1, so yeah I guess Ronnie chose to start his campaign on Group 5. Nevermind, it's better than not playing in it at all, which as I said can only mean he'll make a few more tons in there.

Postby SnookerFan

gcjdavid wrote:

To increase the chances of him breaking the record at The Masters?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 02 Jan 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Perfect. Now he will break the century record at the Masters not in this practice event :-)

Postby shankly

If he beats Walden, yeah. Heck, not even guaranteed he'll make 3 tons in 3 matches, though it is likely.

I swear fans put way more emphasis on centuries than the players! I'm guessing Ronnie is just playing because he's enjoying snooker at the moment and feels like playing more will help his game, and he's in group 5 because those dates work best or he didn't want to spend weekend after weekend in the CL should he not qualify. Nothing to do with centuries.

Postby Wildey

i for one is sick to death of all this centuries bullocks.

its a record but not a important one same as Robbo last season it cost Robbo a lot of frames and matches by having that as his goal.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Perfect. Now he will break the century record at the Masters not in this practice event :-)

Yeah he will I'm almost certain, maybe in his quarter-final match who knows if he beats Walden, the Masters, apart from the Worlds, is the best possible tournament to do it, even more special it will be if Hendry is on the commentary box for his match :-D :evilgrin:

Postby gcjdavid

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Yeah he will I'm almost certain, maybe in his quarter-final match who knows if he beats Walden, the Masters, apart from the Worlds, is the best possible tournament to do it, even more special it will be if Hendry is on the commentary box for his match :-D :evilgrin:

Trolololololol :happy:

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:Yeah he will I'm almost certain, maybe in his quarter-final match who knows if he beats Walden, the Masters, apart from the Worlds, is the best possible tournament to do it, even more special it will be if Hendry is on the commentary box for his match :-D :evilgrin:

Unless Walden unexpectedly beats him in the first round :evilgrin:

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Yeah he will I'm almost certain, maybe in his quarter-final match who knows if he beats Walden, the Masters, apart from the Worlds, is the best possible tournament to do it, even more special it will be if Hendry is on the commentary box for his match :-D :evilgrin:

That's why I said "if" :john: because Ronnie, like most top players, is most vulnerable in the opening rounds.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

That's why I said "if" :john: because Ronnie, like most top players, is most vulnerable in the opening rounds.

Yes I know you said if.

Postby Clara8633

SnookerFan wrote:
Clara8633 wrote:

Imagine that. <laugh>

Ronnie loses, and he breaks Hendry's record at Condom Park.

Lol <laugh>

Postby kolompar

Snooker tomorrow :happy:
As you have always wondered why it is sponsored by the bookies despite the stupid format, I will conduct an experiment. I will bet on it and we'll see how profitable is it for the bookies <laugh>
I think they will do well because the matches look quite unpredictable.

Postby Andre147

kolompar wrote:Snooker tomorrow :happy:
As you have always wondered why it is sponsored by the bookies despite the stupid format, I will conduct an experiment. I will bet on it and we'll see how profitable is it for the bookies <laugh>
I think they will do well because the matches look quite unpredictable.

Well yeah they are, if anything the CL is that one "tournament" where more often than not the favourites don't necessarly win their respective matches.

Waste of good money this tin pot tournament, but as Sonny also said a while ago, maybe the money wouldn't exist anyway if it wasn't for CL. At least Ronnie is in it again, which can only mean he'll increase his tons tally like Robbo did last season, he made 22 tons alone going group after group when he was eventually knocked out in group 6 if memory serves me correct.

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

World Snooker ‏@WorldSnooker1
Shaun Murphy has withdrawn from the Championship League due to illness and has been replaced by Mark King.

Postby renatopt

And it looks like the schedule was changed beacuse of that, as Hawkins vs. Robertson is starting now instead of Hawkins vs. Murphy (or King).

Happy New Year for all Islanders, btw. <cool>

Postby shankly

shankly wrote:Anybody watching this? Do you know who's commentating on table 1?

It's Michael McMullan, according to Dave Hendon's twitter. Can't say I'm a fan. But then the only commentators I enjoy are McManus, Foulds and Hendry, so hey ho. Wish we had our version of Eric Bristow!

Postby Wildey

Bingham is the first player to record a 2015 win as he beat Marco Fu 3-1

Postby Wildey

Neil Robertson and Barry Hawkins are due out on in another Match after this Match is concluded