Post a reply

Brazilian Snooker Champs - winner gets Pro card?

Postby roy142857

According to the IBSF website the winner of this years Brazilian Snooker Championship which took place in September may qualify for a two year pro card

"The semi finalists of each category will be representing Brazil in the next IBSF competitions, with the support and partial sponsorship of Brazilian Snooker Confederation. In addition, the winner of the Men’s will be granted with the right to apply for the 2 year card for the professional circuit of World Snooker."

First problem is, I don't know the results. Anyone?

Second - what do they mean 'the right to apply' - does that mean, if they apply, they'll get it?

Re: Brazilian Snooker Champs - winner gets Pro card?

Postby Sickpotter

I don't think the right to apply means they'll get it.

How does one ensure those winning a given event are actually pro caliber? If the whole field contained two slightly above average club players who wind up winning the event I can't see them automatically getting a pro ticket.

IMO those kinds of events should lead to a ticket to the world amateurs, not an opportunity to apply for pro status. Player results at the World Amateur event should be the decider on if a player should get a pro ticket or not.

Pretty sure accepting applications from players who've not earned a spot at the world amateurs and done well is simply a money grab with little to no chance of success.

Postby kolompar

Once found the results somehow, it was on their site snookercbbs.com though it isn't working now.
Igor won it of course, second placed Thadeu and the semi finalists (I think) are playing in the IBSF.

Postby fridge46

If this does end up awarding a pro-tour place, Igor will be able to accept it as he is a professional.

From the WS announcement at the end of last season:

"The rule that governs this for the 2014/15 Season specifies that Players, which is intended to refer specifically to Professional Players, may not re-qualify onto the Tour via an amateur event which carries a guaranteed tour place for the following season. World Snooker can confirm that this rule will only be enforced when the player is competing in an amateur event whilst holding a status as a Professional Main Tour player."

Of course this applied to the 14/15 season, who knows if World Snooker will change for rules for 15/16

Postby roy142857

Actually not a new tournament as it's the third Snooker Panamericano. Previous editions have been ignored by some nations - Canada has just put out a short-notice request to their regions to help fill the places, clearly not having expected this announcement.

I'll start a thread for it!