Post a reply

Re: Would there ever be a season with a 147 in every ranker?

Postby Skullman

It's theoretically possible and with 127 matches per tournament, it could happen. I think there are a few players who could make one if they decided to go for it, but they'd need the right motivation (less likely with rolling max prices, meaning 'only' £5,000 per max if there;s one every ranker), less pressure to win frames (e.g. 4-0 up in a best of 11) and they'd probably go for them in the early rounds which limits it slightly.

It could happen if the players decided to go for it, but they usually don't care about this stuff so they won't.

Postby Andre147

My thoughts are exactly the same as Skull's, I would only add that it's a bit strange we've only had 2 147s in the history of the Masters, the first way back in 1984 by Kirk Stevens and the second by Ding in 2007 if I'm not mistaken. It's not a ranker, but one of the most important tournaments of the season, I guess the one table situation and the fact that all matches are always going to be difficult in theory limits the chance of more 147s there.

Still, there should have been more than 2 by now me thinks, but in a way this is also a good thing.

Postby shankly

I hope not! Would be nice if 147s remained special. Already it's got to the point where I don't really care about 147s made in PTCs in front of nobody, on an outside table, with a £500 prize. It's still a good achievement that a player should be congratulated on, but what makes 147s difficult is the pressure, the tension in the crowd, etc. Not the same anymore without £147,000 on the line! You'd expect them all to make 147s regularly in practice anyway.

Postby McChazzz

As a bookmaker who prices this sort of thing I feel qualified to post on it. There are ten ranking events listed on the World Snooker website. Most recently, bookmakers have quoted '147 to be made Yes/No' for the UK Championship as a 50-50 proposition, and a similar price for the World Championship (from the last 32 onwards). Assuming those prices are ok, it would be about a 1000/1 chance for all rankers to feature a max, without even considering things like whether people are trying, if Ronnie is playing, etc.

Postby Cannonball

If Ronnie had been playing properly his whole career, I reckon he could have delivered a maxi every season at a push. So no, I wouldn't take the 1000/1 odds quoted by our bookie friend. For it to be possible, we'd need something like 12-15 Ronnie/Dings in the sport at the same time which is very unlikely. I won't say it won't ever happen though because records are there to be made and broken.

Postby The Cueist

[quote="Cannonball"]If Ronnie had been playing properly his whole career, I reckon he could have delivered a maxi every season at a push. So no, I wouldn't take the 1000/1 odds quoted by our bookie friend. For it to be possible, we'd need something like 12-15 Ronnie/Dings in the sport at the same time which is very unlikely. I won't say it won't ever happen though
because records are there to be made and broken.[/
quote]

Exactly right , Not ruling the possibilities out , Just it is very unlikely to happen soon.

It would be good if jt was done , An incredible feat and a top standard would no doubt have been acheived .

But it is a lot to ask.

Postby Roco

gcjdavid wrote:We see that the standard is increasing every decade or so. Thus, maybe we can see a max in every ranker after 30-40 seasons.

Are they?

How is the lack of young talent coming through explained then? The older players continue to dominate the rankings. Are we expected to believe that their standards are improving as well and they are getting better and better each year?

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:There's been 8 maxes this season so far compared to 8 in the whole of last season.

Maybe the doubters want to start writing their apologies for next season...

I don't think anyone said it wouldn't be possible, because obviously it is.

What isn't is what someone once wrote (you) that a 147 would be made in every frame of a match.. in a Best of 1 maybe rofl