Post a reply

Who do you want to win each first round match?

Postby SnookerFan

Aint done this in a while, thought it'd be good to get some banter going.

These are not predictions. Who do you want to win each of the first round matches? And explain why you want them to win.

I'll go first.

Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy - Probably Selby. I do quite like Murphy's style of play, but he's a bit of a douche at times. I'll root for Selby. But at the end of the day, I got tickets to this match and I just want it to be decent.

Stuart Bingham v Marco Fu - I like both players, can't decide. Might let you know once I'm watching the match and finding myself rooting for one of them.

Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins - No disrespect to Milkins, but he's not going to win the tournament. Might as well have somebody who has a chance of winning it all go through to the next round.

Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire - I want Mags to win, Judd is a div.

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Walden - It won't happen, but I'd like to see Ricky get revenge for last year. Also, it'll be funny if Ronnie loses because his fans will all be on here saying that he's finished as a player, only for him to win the Welsh Open and The Crucible. rofl

Barry Hawkins v Ali Carter - Ordinarily I'd root for Barry as he seems like a nice guy. Ali's been through a lot though. And if he wins, Wild will go mental complaining that his ranking shouldn't have been frozen. I think we should all root for Ali to win the whole tournament. :chuckle:

Mark Allen v John Higgins - Allen is a idiot. If Higgins wins, it'll be interesting to see if MA blames everybody in Scotland.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry - I'd quite like to see Higgins vs Ding in the next round.

Re: Who do you want to win each first round match?

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote: And if he wins, Wild will go mental complaining that his ranking shouldn't have been frozen. I think we should all root for Ali to win the whole tournament. :chuckle:

ive always said his ranking should be frozen its only right after what hes gone through health wise bottom line is he could have died from that illness so a frozen ranking is the least he could expect.

Don't Particularly like the guy and it seems to me that now hes been ill so many people are being patronizing wanting him to do well because of illness. i will treat him exactly the same than before nothings changed regarding my opinion of him as a player and i hope he doesn't win.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote: And if he wins, Wild will go mental complaining that his ranking shouldn't have been frozen. I think we should all root for Ali to win the whole tournament. :chuckle:

ive always said his ranking should be frozen its only right after what hes gone through health wise bottom line is he could have died from that illness so a frozen ranking is the least he could expect.

Don't Particularly like the guy and it seems to me that now hes been ill so many people are being patronizing wanting him to do well because of illness. i will treat him exactly the same than before nothings changed regarding my opinion of him as a player and i hope he doesn't win.

Fair enough. I was kind of being tongue in cheek anyway. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:I hope Carter does well , He really isn't as bad a person as all that.
Had a lot on his plate just now .
Whoever plays him will be looking to win, That is the game.

This reminds me of another match. One of the first matches I attended live was Mark Williams vs Paul Hunter at the Masters. Paul had lost his trademark hair by then, and you could tell how much Mark didn't enjoy playing him. It's hard to play without sympathy in that sort of situation.

Mark ended up winning 6-3, and Paul said in his post match interview he was happy to win three frames. He was happy to to be physically fit and playing. Happiest a person has ever been on losing.

Postby The Cueist

I quite agree with the point you make , But after all sport is dog eat dog .

But yeah!! Your right .
Deep down opponents will feel emotion as it is part of tbe human condition.

Paul Hunter .
What a nice guy he was , Hard to take in what happened to him and how long he has been gone .
A very creative player who made his own chances .

I had a lot of time for paul hunter and I will never forget
The 2001 B n H Master's and his come back against Fergal O'Brien .

It was a classic .

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:Aint done this in a while, thought it'd be good to get some banter going.

These are not predictions. Who do you want to win each of the first round matches? And explain why you want them to win.

I'll go first.

Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy - Probably Selby. I do quite like Murphy's style of play, but he's a bit of a douche at times. I'll root for Selby. But at the end of the day, I got tickets to this match and I just want it to be decent.

Stuart Bingham v Marco Fu - I like both players, can't decide. Might let you know once I'm watching the match and finding myself rooting for one of them.

Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins - No disrespect to Milkins, but he's not going to win the tournament. Might as well have somebody who has a chance of winning it all go through to the next round.

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Walden - It won't happen, but I'd like to see Ricky get revenge for last year. Also, it'll be funny if Ronnie loses because his fans will all be on here saying that he's finished as a player, only for him to win the Welsh Open and The Crucible. rofl

Barry Hawkins v Ali Carter - Ordinarily I'd root for Barry as he seems like a nice guy. Ali's been through a lot though. And if he wins, Wild will go mental complaining that his ranking shouldn't have been frozen. I think we should all root for Ali to win the whole tournament. :chuckle:

Mark Allen v John Higgins - Allen is a idiot. If Higgins wins, it'll be interesting to see if MA blames everybody in Scotland.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry - I'd quite like to see Higgins vs Ding in the next round.

Judd is a Div, Allen is an idiot, but you're fine for slagging them off and wanting Ronnie to lose? rofl Dreary me.

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:I quite agree with the point you make , But after all sport is dog eat dog .

But yeah!! Your right .
Deep down opponents will feel emotion as it is part of tbe human condition.

Paul Hunter .
What a nice guy he was , Hard to take in what happened to him and how long he has been gone .
A very creative player who made his own chances .

I had a lot of time for paul hunter and I will never forget
The 2001 B n H Master's and his come back against Fergal O'Brien .

It was a classic .

I wasn't really making a point. Just reminiscing.

Postby The Cueist

SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:
Judd is a Div, Allen is an idiot, but you're fine for slagging them off and wanting Ronnie to lose? rofl Dreary me.

Errm.... Yes!

Ron won't have a problem in that his ankle should be fully healed .

Thing is Cannonball , Snookerfan is not a fan of Ros .

I just accept it .!!!!!!! J!!!!!!

He says he is a fan of snooker in his posting name but is not very interested in a plater who has virtually won every tournament worth winning since april 2013 and just missed out on winning the worlds in 2014 .

He lost a lot of frames here and there in that final that could have gone either way.

Selby won it .

I have to accept that .

But I do because through a combination of low breaks
And scrappy frames it went his way in the end.

I think Ronnie was left reeling at how heclost that final
The way he did .

I dont think he would let that happen agsin .
He is a more mature player now than ever and waits for his chances.

Still Selbys final clearance to vlinch the title was breathtking.

He knew if he missed the chance at that moment ronnie would have pounced on him to retain his title.

Postby shankly

Ok, here you go Snookerfan:

Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy - Not sure, don’t really care who wins. Selby probably edges it, will make for more compelling matchups in the later rounds, I think. Nice to see some contrast in styles sometimes, instead of all out attack all the time.

Stuart Bingham v Marco Fu - I suppose I want Fu to win, I think he always carries himself pretty well around the table. Also I find that little wave Bingham gives to the camera while he's waiting to walk on a bit creepy.

Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins - Robbo will probably give us better viewing in the later rounds.

Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire - Defo Maguire. He’s a bit of a moaner and shows his frustration a lot, but somehow I like him... Nice to see him coming into form as well, always good to have more guys challenging the top boys.

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Walden - Ronnie, and it’ll always be Ronnie until he retires now! He was the reason I got into snooker in the first place. Just want him to win as much as he can now, because you never know when the terminal decline will set in, and how steep the decline will be...

Barry Hawkins v Ali Carter - Barry, seems like one of the good guys. Some don’t seem to rate him that highly, but he’s a really solid player. Not had a good season so far though.

Mark Allen v John Higgins - Higgins. I always find myself rooting for the older players over the young upstarts, in all sports! Plus Higgins is classy to watch, I like the way he goes about his business.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry - Time for Ding to get his season going!

Postby The Cueist

SnookerFan wrote:We have gone off topic somehow.....

Nobody has actually listed who they want to win each match.

From the poster who posts minimalist replies or topic content and who tries to snub the brilliance of the great Ronnie O'Sullivan

I rest my case .

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:We have gone off topic somehow.....

Nobody has actually listed who they want to win each match.

From the poster who posts minimalist replies or topic content and who tries to snub the brilliance of the great Ronnie O'Sullivan

I rest my case .

:zzz: :zzz:

Tell us who you want to win, sir.

Postby Dan-cat

Selby. He adds something to every tournament and is a super creative shot maker and safety player. Even the commentators don't know why he's played certain shots

Bingo, just, but I don't really mind as I like both equally, which isn't a great deal.

Trumpy: great to watch and is evolving as a player and a human. I like Mags too but Trumpy just shades it for me here, and another King/Prince match would be great

Robbo. Same reason as SF

Ali: he's spiky and moans a lot. I like that in a player

Ronnie because he's my favourite player. Walden seems like a decent guy but is a bit pedestrian to watch

Allen: he's exciting to watch and also I've forgiven him for being a toilethead a few years ago.

Ding: such an ace player to watch and the story unfolding of him not doing too well this year is interesting.

Postby sundaygirl

Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy
I like Selby but this is really a vote for Murphy to lose

Stuart Bingham v Marco Fu
Would like to see either in the next round

Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins

Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire
Don't particularly like either, will go for Judd for the sake of the tournament

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Walden :love:
I just hope this match lasts longer than their meeting last year

Barry Hawkins v Ali Carter
Hoping Barry is okay after the last time we saw him

Mark Allen v John Higgins
Allen is a tit, glad to see SF and myself agreeing on this one as it's the only match we are watching together this time.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry

Postby Clara8633

Obvious reason.

I really can't make my mind up.

Because I like Robbo.

Same reason as SF's.

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Walden
I'd like to see Walden go far; ROS has already won two tournaments this season so I'd like to see some variety.

Because I don't particularly like Higgins.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry

Postby Andre147

Since everyone's doing it, then why not:

Don't dislike Selby, but out of the two I definately prefer Murphy to win it as I always liked his approach to the game.

Fu because he's due a good run in one of these Triple Crown events and he definately deserves to win at least one of them.

I don't have a favourite here, ok Robbo going through would definately make for more compelling matches but I wouldnt care much if Milkins was the winner as I like them both.

Never really liked Judd, this season he seems to have matured a bit more but still Mags is slowly getting back to form with this PTC win in my home country and he's a player I like to watch when on form so I hope he beats Judd here.

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Walden
For obvious reasons, and because there's a small chance of a Triple Crown in same season, a feat Ronnie has never done, but even if he doesn't this UK Champs win alone is more enough to say this has been a good season for him, but yeah one more if not two of the last Triple Majors would be the icing on the cake.

Hawkins because I like him more, and also because I want him to bounce back from that stupid meltdown at the UK Champs, he's a very good player so I definately wouldn't like a defeat like that to be a major blow for him.

Because I like Allen a lot more than Higgins, Allen when in form is definately one of those players I enjoy the most, along with MJW and Ronnie and also because, a bit like Fu, he definately deserves a Big 3 title like this.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry
Not had much sucess in the British Big events recently, hopefully Ding can rediscover some of his excelent form that got him to 5 ranking wins last season plus another final.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:Aint done this in a while, thought it'd be good to get some banter going.

I'll go first.

Oh dear, only three I wanted went through. :emb:

Then again, I remained neutral on Bingham and Fu. So can't complain on that one.